Author Topic: The way male writers describe women  (Read 8297 times)

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The way male writers describe women
« on: April 12, 2018, 02:38:20 AM »
I saw this article last week and immediately thought of this series. Some of the stuff is pretty funny and, while over the top, still pretty accurate. I’m putting this in spoilers section in case people quote descriptions of characters. Even my husband noted and made a joke to me about how almost all the women in the DF were described when he read it.  This is meant as a fun post, not a scathing critique. Please take it as such.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-43639004

One of the funniest, for me, is the way Molly is described each book where the narrator/author talks about her breasts and their growth progress since they were in a “training bra”. That line always makes me cringe a bit. It’s just creepy! :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:46:44 AM by Ananda »

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: The way male writers describe women
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 03:16:31 AM »
I saw something similar the other day, but I don't remember where. 

It was something like, "My eyes played over the three new arrivals.  The first was a creature of pure, distilled beauty, her curves crafted by an artisan hoping to capture the essence of all that was wholesome and pure, and yet wickedly sinful if the light struck her emerald eyes just right.  The other two, men I suppose, had features and stuff, too, I guess.  Maybe."

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 04:20:21 AM »
The interesting thing for me is that the person writing the files is Harry. So his descriptions of the women fit perfectly well with his personality. But Aftermath was quite well written from a female PoV (IMHO). I don't remember Thomas descriptions in Backup, but I suspect he is not as...teen ager as Harry is.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:47:40 PM »
The interesting thing for me is that the person writing the files is Harry. So his descriptions of the women fit perfectly well with his personality. But Aftermath was quite well written from a female PoV (IMHO). I don't remember Thomas descriptions in Backup, but I suspect he is not as...teen ager as Harry is.

Thomas can't very well afford to dwell on beautiful women being beautiful, given his situation. But Molly's POV in Bombshells and Cold Case didn't seem objectifying (some people might have problems with the portrayal of Winter ramping up her sex drive in the latter, but it still beats Harry's personality change in CD). I think it really is a character issue rather than the author's actual outlook leaking through into the writing.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 07:15:57 PM »
I agree
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 07:30:18 PM »
Thomas can't very well afford to dwell on beautiful women being beautiful, given his situation. But Molly's POV in Bombshells and Cold Case didn't seem objectifying (some people might have problems with the portrayal of Winter ramping up her sex drive in the latter, but it still beats Harry's personality change in CD). I think it really is a character issue rather than the author's actual outlook leaking through into the writing.
Yeah, if you read Codex Alera or Cinder Spires in particular (both written from the third person), it has very little, if any, of the horny gushing that Dresden puts in.

It also varies from book to book within Dresden -- basically, the longer it's been since Harry has gotten laid, the more he, ahem, focuses on the females he meets. Compare his description of Lara in Blood Rites, when he's been separated from Susan for several years...:

The newcomer was the real thing. She was grace. Beauty. Art.
As such, she was not so easily quantified.
She would have been tall, even without the heeled faux-Victorian
boots of Italian leather. Her hair was so dark that its highlights
were nearly blue, a torrent of glossy curls held partially in check
with a pair of milky ivory combs. She had eyes of dark grey with
hints of violet twilight at their centers. Her clothes were all effortless
style: natural fabrics, black skirt and jacket embroidered with
abstract dark crimson roses with a white blouse.
Thinking back later, I couldn't clearly remember her facial
features or her body, beyond a notion that they were superb. Her
looks were almost extraneous. They weren't any more important to
her appeal than a glass was to wine. It was at its best when
invisible and showing the spirit contained within. Beyond mere
physical presence, I could sense the nature of the woman—
strength of will, intelligence, blended with a sardonic wit and
edged with a lazy, sensuous hunger.

...to descriptions of her in Turn Coat, when he and Luccio are regularly bumping uglies:
Lara Raith, de facto ruler of the White Court, sat behind the
desk. She wore a silk business suit of purest white, cut close to
the flawless lines of her body. The cut of the suit elegantly
displayed her figure, and contrasted sharply with the long blueblack
hair, which hung in waves past her shoulders. Her features
had the classically immortal beauty of Greek statues, balancing
sheer beauty with strength, intelligence, and perception. Her eyes
were a deep, warm grey, framed by thick sooty lashes, and just
looking at her full soft mouth made my lips twitch and tingle as they
demanded an introduction to Lara’s.

Yes, he's still kinda gushing, because it's Lara. But all the fantastical, flowery description is toned down to more dryly describing her outfit and her actual features.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 07:44:33 PM »
Again, I agree. Lara is a sexual vampire, so her descriptions are over the top, but that is normal because the person talking is Harry. Same happens with the famous rapey thoughts. It's the mantle talking.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 08:14:40 PM »

The thing is, the story is being told from a male's point of view, i.e. Harry's point of view.  We know from his own description of himself that while he does respect women for things besides their bodies, he is, by his own admission, sexually frustrated.   Not sure if that is the right word for it,  but Harry hasn't had much experience with women..  So even at this point in his forty year life, which includes fathering a child, he physically reacts to the female body like a very young teenager.   In other words it is all about breasts and curves etc., yet Harry also goes out of his way to say how much intelligence in a woman attracts him.... However so far we haven't seen Harry in a relationship with an intelligent woman with average or below average looks.   

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 11:47:36 PM »
While I am not going to explore the comparative attractiveness of the female characters (although Lea has alot of appeal with me); I think a point to consider is the forementioned description of women by Harry when he is in a relationship and when he is not. Guys in a relationship will notice other women's sex appeal; but guys not in a relationship will NOTICE and NOTICE again a woman's sex appeal. It works very similar to when a guy last ate and what he had at the last meal. Many guys, me included, are like dogs. Pet me and feed me and I am yours for life; don't do those things and some dogs might stray.
As for men writing women characters, I agree that Butcher did a good job on the several female POV short stories. Though, I think Murphy has alot of masculine qualities. But, hey, I am guy. I know as much about women as many women know about men. Recently, my wife made some observations about my behavior that seemed obvious to me but surprising and confusing to her. Women often give men more complexity than we have. Guys are often simple, not stupid, just simple.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:58:32 PM »
Yes, I always quite the same part of Harry Potter, when Hermione explains Ron and Harry what Cho is feeling. It was obvious for me and for Hermione, but Ron and Harry said that was impossible, it was too complex.

That said, I don't believe in masculine and feminine qualities.
Missing you, Md 

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 12:06:46 AM »
Okay, respecting your beliefs on that, not agreeing, but I am respecting the difference of opinion. Most guys I know, myself included don't have the same pattern of elaborate thinking  as Hermione described. I call my method of thinking the KISS method. KISS stands for "Keep It Simple, Stupid." If I start over-thinking a problem, the problem gets bigger and nothing gets done about it. Sometimes I just got to plow in, flip some switches, pull some strings, and see what happens.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 12:14:12 AM »
I totally see the advantage of that. A faster answer, even if not ideal, is better than a great answer which arrives too late.
Missing you, Md 

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 12:17:42 AM »
It helps that many people think I am a little nuts anyhow; so, they expect me to act in some quick, peculiar ways. There is a "method to my madness" though that method barely makes sense even to me.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 12:19:05 AM »
 :)
It's not only about acting, but what you actually ponder in your head
Missing you, Md 

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 12:22:14 AM »
Inside my head are some quiet places, some nice places, some dark places, and one or two areas that I would rather not venture into. So mostly normal and "mostly harmless."
Make Mine Butcher!