Author Topic: The way male writers describe women  (Read 8315 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: The way male writers describe women
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2018, 04:20:33 AM »
But she's not lusting after the breasts and legs, as such, like Harry would be.  She's jealous (at least a bit, and probably rueful/sardonic as much as angry) of the power and attention they give the women who have them.  The male equivalent would be Harry being jealous of a rich, handsome quarterback or movie star with women throwing themselves at him, or being jealous of Thomas' looks, if he didn't know the hidden cost.

Actually, I think it's like thinking jealous things about Thomas even knowing the hidden cost. Like when he mentioned that Thomas looked like the God of Eau de Cologne, or something like that. Same idea. He does not really envy him. And I think Murphy is the same. She doesn't hate Andi for real.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2018, 03:00:11 AM »
Actually, I think it's like thinking jealous things about Thomas even knowing the hidden cost. Like when he mentioned that Thomas looked like the God of Eau de Cologne, or something like that. Same idea. He does not really envy him. And I think Murphy is the same. She doesn't hate Andi for real.

Exactly.  She might wish she had Gard's legs (though Harry and other males have expressed the opinion that Karrin's legs are not unappealing), but she doesn't really resent Gard for having them.
It's rueful jealousy.

If she actually could have a trait of Gard's for free, my hunch is Murphy would take the height, actually.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2018, 12:16:55 PM »
I think for comparison's sake we need another Murphy POV story where she walks in on Thomas shirtless.

I mean, yeah, we got a little bit of that when she was tying up Billy, but still.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »
I definitely come down on the side of Jim basing his descriptions off of the characters who are giving them. As someone already said, Codex Alera and Cinder Spires do not go into the same level of description that Dresden Files do. In the Cinder Spires Gwen is described as small and doll like while Bridget is described as statuesque. Folly is only described by her clothes. In Code Alera Amara is described as tomboyish and all the watercrafters are described as youthful.

I think it illustrates Harry's focus, willpower, and determination. He has the mind of a teenager when it comes to women, but he is able to put that aside to deal with the situation. Summer Knight comes to mind when Harry is with Maeve in Undertown.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2018, 01:00:57 AM »
Yes to all that. And I still said Folly is Delirium, from the Endless, so the descriptions is Delirium's.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)