Author Topic: Yourself as a Dresden Files character  (Read 2937 times)

Offline MattDavidson

• Participant
    • View Profile
Yourself as a Dresden Files character
« on: April 10, 2018, 02:01:36 AM »
Challenge: Write yourself as a Dresden Files character. Write the first introduction to your character. No other restrictions. You need not write your identity in real life (I. E. You can write yourself as a wizard or even a nonhuman supernatural creature.)

Offline TheJrade

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Yourself as a Dresden Files character
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 08:15:49 PM »
Been kicking around something like this for a while.  The 'buddy cops' of a spinoff fic I am writing are equal parts me and a few friends of mine.

Major Javier "Havee" Bishop:
A former Army leader who, after being injured in a bomb blast, is forced to retire from his active combat job, becoming a lawyer for the Judge Advocate General (JAG) corps.  His life is changed forever when Bishop is assigned to defend one SSG Vetur during the process of being thrown out of the Army.  Unknown to the mortal authorities Vetur is a baron of Winter in a pact with Hrazortholzt, a demon whose designs on the Power of the Mantle of the Winter Lady are about to come to fruition.

Bishop is physically large and of light-skinned Hispanic descent.  He is meant to be an opposite of Dresden in a number of ways, from his willingness to compromise with evil to his success with women.  While Dresden is Chaotic Good, Bishop is no better than Lawful Neutral, maybe even Lawful Evil at times.  Played in my head by actor Jamie Camil.

Offline Graves

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 01:39:06 PM »
I got off the train and was struck once more by the sense that I'd never been in a major city like chicago that had so little sense of itself or it's personality. New York, Boston, Seattle all had a feel to them that was missing in Chicago, a place that was less a city than a group of neighborhood that  had clustered together on the edge of Lake Michigan.

Still there were good places to eat in the town and hopefully I could get dinner at one if warden Dresden's request didn't take too long. An expert in combat magic but a lack of formal education meant he'd asked for my help in deciphering the details behind ancient legends and texts. All from a collection of odd stones he'd found written in what t looked like middle east cuneiform but in an archaeological dig of local natives, which seemed to be laboring on a curse...If only Lord Carnarvon had called me in as soon. 

An apparently middle aged man of non-descript appearance, he's a wizard living in the north east, working as a college expert in ancient languages and cultures. He has an annoying tendency to wear somewhat anachronistic clothing, not bothering to keep up with trends his fashion sense seems to have gone on hold sometime around 1944.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 02:45:33 PM by Graves »
Five words only: We are kids next door!

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:00:39 AM »
Been a while since I wrote anything.  Let's see...
The bell on the shop's door jingled as I stepped inside.  A balding head appeared from behind the far counter, the lines on it's face ready to unleash a well-practiced scowl.

"We're closed," the man said, shooting a glance at the door that shut gently behind me.  There was a flash of confusion in his eyes, as he wondered if he'd perhaps left it unlocked.

He hadn't.

"Sorry to disturb you," I said with a disarming smile. The man's eyes tracked my hand as it dipped into the breast pocket of my suit jacket.  His shoulders tensed for a moment, but relaxed as the wallet appeared. "Agent Smith."

The confusion returned to the man's face as he processed what he'd heard.  "Agent..." he began, his voice trailing off as his gaze fixed on the badge i presented.

I held it up for a long moment, making sure the spell on it had plenty of time to work it's... well.  Magic.

After only a few moments, the man's face went as blank as his bald pate.  He didn't notice the wallet slap closed, nor its return to my coat.  His eyes just stared forward blankly as I walked behind the counter, sparing a glance under the counter before heading into the employee area beyond.

It took less than two minutes to locate the VCR attached to the CCTV camera in the shop's front window.  The screen of the small television beside it showed a live view of the street outside.  The wreckage from the previous night's "storm" was evident, the camera's angle focusing on a car that had seen better days.

Using a knuckle to hold down the rewind button, I watched the morning roll back in time.  My entrance came first, followed by the shop owner's only a short time earlier.  Then a long wait began, as hours flew by in seconds.

A commotion appeared on the screen, and I hit play.  The seconds ticked by silently as I watched the footage from the previous night.  The picture quality was poor with the streetlights out, along with most of the city's power.  Only those store owners that bothered to put their security cameras on battery backups would have captured anything of the storm.

The visible stretch of pavement was abandoned, the citizens of Chicago staying safe on a stormy night.  The only thing to see was the trash blowing down the sidewalk, and some small critter darting by, no doubt looking for shelter. 

Then, without warning, the mundane image was thrown into chaos as something blurred past, leaving a flattened car in its wake.

Another quick rewind, this one shorter, and then I stabbed at the slow-mo button, to watch things play out again.

At just the right time, I paused the playback, staring at the unmistakable sight of a T-Rex foot crushing the car outside.

A low whistle escaped my lips as I ejected the tape.  The shop owner would just have to think he forgot to load one.  There wasn't time to plant a blank.

With the evidence tucked away, I headed back towards the front.  A glance confirmed the man was still dazed.  There was probably less than a minute left on the spell.  Then he'd blink away the remnants of the enchantment, wondering what he'd been doing before zoning out.

A bit of morally questionable magic, that one.  But Special Collections didn't have quite the same rules as other organizations.

I made my way to the door, taking care to reach up and hold the bell in place as I opened it.  No point in jarring the man awake earlier than needed.  I slipped out, only the slightest ring sounding as the door closed.  Pressing the ring on my hand to the lock, I twisted my wrist.  The lock clicked back into place as the shop owner began to stir.

By the time he started to look around, I was walking towards the next shop, my eyes scanning for any more cameras.

A minute later, another bell rang as another door opened.  Another face looked up, and I smiled.

"Sorry to disturb you..."