Author Topic: New WOJ's  (Read 13795 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: New WOJ's
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 01:17:00 AM »
I got them from DF Reddit discord server.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 02:29:06 AM »
Yeah, but on the balance, I imagine there's going to more truth than fiction out of them.
Sure, but if 1% is a lie, then in every argument, the WoJ can be dismissed as "the lie to preserve the truth" by whichever side it disproves.

Not that any of this is really a surprise.  We had a debate about JB's WoJ truthiness a year or two ago.  Folks chose to either believe he could be lying or that everything he said was the truth.

Now the argument will be, "if he's willing to lie to us, then maybe he's lying about lying".

I'm hoping for some entertaining debates.   8)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 02:43:01 AM »
Yeah, I read his statements about lying and him leading us to not believing longstanding woj, then I was I like why should I be believing you now?  So, it doesn't change anything for me and how I was approaching things. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:45:37 AM by raidem »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 03:25:26 AM »
Sure, but if 1% is a lie, then in every argument, the WoJ can be dismissed as "the lie to preserve the truth" by whichever side it disproves.

Not that any of this is really a surprise.  We had a debate about JB's WoJ truthiness a year or two ago.  Folks chose to either believe he could be lying or that everything he said was the truth.

Now the argument will be, "if he's willing to lie to us, then maybe he's lying about lying".

I'm hoping for some entertaining debates.   8)

Didn't he say he dropped 2 pieces of misinformation?  Lets debate about what those two pieces are lol.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 03:36:35 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 03:33:06 AM »
Didn't he say he dropped 2 pieces of miss information?  Lets debate about what those two pieces are lol.
If the quotes are to be believed, he did it "at least" twice.  Which in theory could mean every single time he's said anything at all.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 03:36:17 AM »
If the quotes are to be believed, he did it "at least" twice.  Which in theory could mean every single time he's said anything at all.

My guess is that he may have dropped a few pieces of misinformation but it's probably when someone figured out something, and Jim doesn't want it getting out.  Or he wants to seed doubt because he may have let some things slip he doesn't want out.  I think when talking about the books he's being honest.  However when asked specifically about the prisoner on DR and him saying "You couldn't understand Merlin's English", something like that could be misinformation.  Or what he said about Mac.

Book information is probably accurate, specifics about characters, or situations are in doubt, I think.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 03:39:31 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 05:32:57 AM »
I am curious as to where these came from, also.  I mean, facebook, ok, sure.  But why a screenshot and not a link?

I know two facebook groups that jim has posted in(but I don't know which group the screenshot is from):
Jim Butcher Appreciation Society
Jim Butcher Idolization Tribe
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline Bacchus

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 10:30:32 AM »
I wasn't expecting to meet Lucifer until the very end of the series. The way Jim mentioned us seeing him  seemed like he meant relatively soon rather than in 2 decades when were reading the BAT.
I don't want Mac to  be god because I don't want Dresden to be able to say "my beetle was in the shop one time so I borrowed GOD's Trans-AM"
What he says about Lucifer makes sense.  That doesn't meant Lucifer doesn't want to make humans into a hollow shell of what we are now. 

So.. that tree stuff is basically a clear declaration that the outsiders are far from alone in wanting to destroy the universe.
maybe we shall meet some new major enemys in peace talks.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 12:15:18 PM »
We know of one at least: that time he told us Harry was going to Grant Fidelaccius to somebody in TC and it turned out to be Nicodemus.  It was a deliberate mislead that was sorta kinda true from a certain perspective once you saw the context. 

But ya, if 1/4th is wrong anyway, and he's been sprinkling active disinformation into the mix as well, it really kills the whole effort. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »
I still think Nicodemus will get a Sword in the End.

Did you guys note that Jim said Nicodemus is more dangerous to the Universe, in some ways, than Lucifer.

Jim: Yeah and most of those, at least the ones I've seen, are based on misheard or misunderstood statements.  And I have knowingly dropped misinformation based on those kind of fights at least twice.
Trust no one, not even the author!  Especially the author!
The two bits of misinformation was in reference to the arguments referred to by the Fan after a convention or Q&A that Jim attributed to them having misheard, misunderstood things.  Jim said he then sprinkled misinformation to add to the confusion surrounding it.  I believe Jim added this misinformation either in Q&A's or in the books to keep people guessing with respect to the heated debate.

But ya, if 1/4th is wrong anyway, and he's been sprinkling active disinformation into the mix as well, it really kills the whole effort.
Only 1/4 of the non-sourced WOJ's that is spread right after conventions, Q&A's.  I mean, I seriously doubt he is considering the transcribed material from videos as potentially in error.  I think the 1/4 error is more associated with I heard this, then I paraphrased it and passed it along.

Fan: But...Now I don't know which 25% of the WOJ website to believe?
This is the Fan incorrectly interpreting what Jim just said.  And the Fan doesn't really know what goes into sourcing the WOJ website.  It isn't paraphrases.  It is often direct transcriptions from videos, or written quotes by Jim himself.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:49:07 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 02:01:57 PM »
What was the exact wording of the WOJ on the Prisoner on Demonreach not being Merlin.  Was Merlin excluded per Jim merely on the basis of him not being able to communicate in understandable English.  And should we believe Jim when, if he says it isn't Merlin.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2018, 02:56:54 PM »
But even with that, he's established that he's lied in his comments.  Even direct quotes are now officially questionable.
I think it's all a smoke screen made up in the last year or so to keep us off the truth. He's slipped up and mentioned quite a few things and implied hella others in his Wojing over the years... I think he's trying to cover his ass from every direction is all.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 05:42:02 PM »
I still think Nicodemus will get a Sword in the End.

Did you guys note that Jim said Nicodemus is more dangerous to the Universe, in some ways, than Lucifer.
The two bits of misinformation was in reference to the arguments referred to by the Fan after a convention or Q&A that Jim attributed to them having misheard, misunderstood things.  Jim said he then sprinkled misinformation to add to the confusion surrounding it.  I believe Jim added this misinformation either in Q&A's or in the books to keep people guessing with respect to the heated debate.
Only 1/4 of the non-sourced WOJ's that is spread right after conventions, Q&A's.  I mean, I seriously doubt he is considering the transcribed material from videos as potentially in error.  I think the 1/4 error is more associated with I heard this, then I paraphrased it and passed it along.
This is the Fan incorrectly interpreting what Jim just said.  And the Fan doesn't really know what goes into sourcing the WOJ website.  It isn't paraphrases.  It is often direct transcriptions from videos, or written quotes by Jim himself.

That's a true enough statement.  The more gut-punchy line for me was this bit

Fan: But...Now I don't know which 25% of the WOJ website to believe?
Jim:  Wouldn't believe any of it if I were you.
Cant really say that was misinterpreting the Collection vs the general rumor-mill, just seems to undercut the whole purpose and value of it :-\

Its been a remarkably bad couple weeks for me already, which is likely coloring my response.  By next week Ill care a whole lot less (one way or the other)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »
I think that was an Extremely Wild Exaggeration on Jim's Part. If we are to take Jim's word that he lies, then I'd take him at his word and assume he is lying about "wouldn't believe any of it."

I mean he spends so much time going to these Q&A's, which for the most part are transcribed by folks here.  I mean if he simply spins all of it as falsehood, there is basically no point to him going to the Q&A's.  In any event, he gets asked the same thing at so many of the Q&A's and the answers have largely been consistent so I think he mainly tells the truth with these consistent answers.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:58:57 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 07:06:30 PM »
I don't want Mac to  be god because I don't want Dresden to be able to say "my beetle was in the shop one time so I borrowed GOD's Trans-AM"

You know, I think this will come back with more meaning once we find out what/who Mac is.  My early theories for Mac was that he was either Odin, Mimir, or possibly Merlin.  Anyways, I think when Harry borrowed Mac's car he was tapping into a vehicle that a bit more than met the eye.  It lasted just long enough to get Harry to Victor Sells home.  Mac's car bypassed traffic and the scenery passed by much like is what is described in traveling within the Amberverse.  It was like the path from Mac's bar to Victor Sells home was parted just so that Harry could make it there in time.  I also noted that Mac gave Harry a hand, a Handshake and said Luck.  It is reminiscent of other characters giving Harry a hand, including Uriel and Hades.

The Amber in me wants to make a similarity between Mac and the Amberites ability to shape probabilities with their powers. So, in Amber Corwin saying Luck to Harry would in essence skew probabilities in favor of his success at something.  If Mac is God then say he could ensure the car made it to Victor Sells but he couldn't interfere past that when it came to choices Harry would make in the encounter vs Victor.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:09:40 PM by raidem »