Author Topic: Dragons of the Future  (Read 6145 times)

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Dragons of the Future
« on: April 04, 2018, 05:28:48 PM »
Any predictions for what the future will hold regarding these?

I'm guessing we'll see at least one at whatever summit is holding the Peace Talks (16). He/she/it won't have a terrible big role, but it'll show up and make an Appearance, as obligated.

Nothing Mirror, Mirror (17).

I want to say Jim has said Dragons will be a big thing in the 19th Dresden File. He's also definitely said Ferrovax will be back for the BAT (http://wordof.jim-butcher.com/index.php/word-of-jim-woj-compilation/woj-on-other-bad-guys-beyond-the-outer-gates-demonreach/).

Granted, this will be fairly tenuous speculation, also known as wild guesses, but I'm interested in what we'll see post Peace Talks and before the BAT. Siriothrax is dead. Ferrovax has a reserved seat at the BAT. The other name I remember is Pyrovax. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a Nemfected Pyrovax decides to go loony and challenge Mab for something. Harry, if he's still the WK, will be sent to deal with the problem, and the fallout from that sets the stage for Nicodemus to begin the first apocalypse in the next book, #1 of the BAT.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Dragons of the Future
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »
By WOJ there are either "only like three or four" True Dragons left, or just the two (Pyrovrax and Ferrovax).  HE did say they wouldnt show up until the last case-files or the BAT, but to be fair he said the same about Titania and we met her two books ago. 

I have two hopes regarding Dragons:
  1)one of them is going to play the role of Midgard Serpent come BAT (which will strongly resemble Ragnarok) just as the Loup Garou will play the role of Fenrir
  2)There has been mention of an eventual story/scene involving Kaiju and a Battleship fight.  Im hoping one of the Dragons decides to do a Godzilla impression.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 06:42:47 PM »
I just want one to turn out to be Smaug.  That would be cool.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 06:59:52 PM »

And Murphy has to become the de facto Bilbo in dealing with it.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »
Nope, Smaug is the specific comparison Jim used for the definition of a Lesser dragon, the non-godlike ones that he said St George mostly wiped out.  Ferro and Pyro (and Siriothrax previously) are more eastern Dragons, divine beings beings that helped create the physical world and manage aspects of the universe.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 07:15:07 PM »
Nope, Smaug is the specific comparison Jim used for the definition of a Lesser dragon, the non-godlike ones that he said St George mostly wiped out.  Ferro and Pyro (and Siriothrax previously) are more eastern Dragons, divine beings beings that helped create the physical world and manage aspects of the universe.

So probably no Nidhogg either...oh well.

I am curious about the aspects they manage. Will this be an elemental set up (Air, Fire, Earth, Water), or will it be more in depth and complex? A Dragon devoted to overseeing Time itself could show up in the impending time travel plots.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 09:19:04 PM »
So probably no Nidhogg either...oh well.

I am curious about the aspects they manage. Will this be an elemental set up (Air, Fire, Earth, Water), or will it be more in depth and complex? A Dragon devoted to overseeing Time itself could show up in the impending time travel plots.
Not direct elements, or at least not exclusively so (though the eastern myths did generally have lots of elemental affinity).  WOJ was that it was natural forces, the turning of the seasons, that sort of thing (which I found particularly interesting since that is now the Fae Courts whole Bag, and they are coincidentally also in charge of the Gates...  Another WOj said:

Dragons are the kind of forces that you put in charge of things like..
"It's time for another ice age, you- go handle that."
"We really need this continent to be split by a giant river, arrange it."
"Ok."
That's the kind of thing that Dragons would be doing
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 03:59:59 PM »
Yes, but what happens to "forces of nature", when their roles are taken over by someone else?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 04:15:35 PM »
Yes, but what happens to "forces of nature", when their roles are taken over by someone else?

Depends on how quickly things move through the departments. Could be quite the glacial process...

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 04:54:54 PM »
Apparently they get ornery, occasionally trade virgins for power, and horde things.  Mostly just Horde things. 

Actually, it depends on when that pass-off of Power/significance actually happened.  If it was more or less Prehistory, then everything in mankind's myths about Dragons (and dragons) might just be what they did post-layoff.  They lesser dragons got uppity enough to have a whole Saint* dedicated to wiping them out (St. George, as referenced in WOJ).  And later that whole thing with Michael and Charity.  But maybe all of eastern Dragon myth is them in retirement, quieting tending to their allotted corner of existence?  Ive heard Irish myths that talk about creators the made the island then decided to never leave (far less sinister sounding than the Naagloshii) because they loved it so much.  Maybe it was similar and the prevalence of Greater Dragon eastern myth is simply because they settled in Asia.   Or Maybe they put on other "Masks" and joined Other pantheons?  I'd take a close look at any reptilian diety, from Quetzalcoatl to Sobek to Yamata no Orochi (that last might be a bit on the nose...

*We have no clue what this means, other than some form of practical Power and Id assume the Favor of Heaven.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 06:14:27 PM »
WHY Do you think the Dragons gave up the responsibility?

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 06:26:21 PM »

I suspect they didn't yield their stations willingly. Capital Dragons are killable, (Siriothrax). They could have engaged in the same power struggles we see in the supernatural world today, and lost over time. Ferro and Pyro are simply the last and smartest/most capable.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 07:04:21 PM »
Gave up implied they had a choice. We know by WOJ that they " resent humanity for usurping the balance of power in the world" and that the turning of the season where once their shtick but now belongs to the Gate Guardians
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 07:54:56 PM »
Hmm. Well, humanity did figure out how to shape the environment, and we've only gotten better at it over the years.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 08:05:16 PM »
Hmm. Well, humanity did figure out how to shape the environment, and we've only gotten better at it over the years.
hehe, More prolific at it maybe.  Better?  ::)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/