Author Topic: Swords and Ancestry  (Read 6868 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Swords and Ancestry
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 02:22:32 PM »
He's a good man, and he's willing to fight, but for me, the benchmark of a Knight is what we've seen from Shiro and Michael. Daniel lacks... serenity? I suppose that's the word. Shiro, Michael, and to an extent, Sanya, have all shown an aversion to fighting. It's not their first solution. Daniel seems like he would be reaching for his Sword at every opportunity. I just don't think he has it in him to be a good Knight.
Im not willing to go that far, if only because we've never actually seen the Before&After for a Knight other than Butters (Who also needed to Grow as a person first but was coming from a very different direction). 

But we DO know that young Sanya was an angry, bitter, and most probably violent person when he was Daniel's age; it was the whole reason he fell in with Rosanna.  I would say that Sanya went MUCH further down the dark side of that particular path than Daniel has, and he was able to Mature enough to be a proper Knight. Probably worth noting that even in DM Sanya was noticeably more hot-headed than the other two.  Daniel is not ready to be a Knight right now by any stretch, but Id say we saw signs of his maturing even just over the course of GS (which is the only window we've had to him, and EVERYBODY was off their game in that book, but mired in a street-level supernatural War. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 04:53:46 PM »
Im not willing to go that far, if only because we've never actually seen the Before&After for a Knight other than Butters (Who also needed to Grow as a person first but was coming from a very different direction). 

But we DO know that young Sanya was an angry, bitter, and most probably violent person when he was Daniel's age; it was the whole reason he fell in with Rosanna.  I would say that Sanya went MUCH further down the dark side of that particular path than Daniel has, and he was able to Mature enough to be a proper Knight. Probably worth noting that even in DM Sanya was noticeably more hot-headed than the other two.  Daniel is not ready to be a Knight right now by any stretch, but Id say we saw signs of his maturing even just over the course of GS (which is the only window we've had to him, and EVERYBODY was off their game in that book, but mired in a street-level supernatural War.

Fair point.

I still don't want it to be Daniel. Way too linear.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 05:02:23 PM »
Fair point.

Which, frankly, is why I dont really want it to fall to any of the Carpenters, Id rather they not stagnate in dyansties.  But then,
(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »
Which, frankly, is why I dont really want it to fall to any of the Carpenters, Id rather they not stagnate in dyansties.  But then,
(click to show/hide)

That we know of.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 07:11:00 PM »
That we know of.
Keep on hopin'
   :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 07:39:02 PM »
I'd argue the opposite, but it's really just preference; I think that the teasing of other candidates (Murphy and Susan briefly, then Butters permanently) points to the final Sword falling to a Carpenter. The twist would be that it was the one least expected, the Dutiful Daughter Amanda rather than the more prominent ones, like the youngest children and Daniel. I could buy Hope, if only because her nickname is Hobbit, too.

I'm one of the few who wouldn't be particularly happy if Thomas or Marcone wound up as a Knight.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 08:09:59 PM »
I'd argue the opposite, but it's really just preference; I think that the teasing of other candidates (Murphy and Susan briefly, then Butters permanently) points to the final Sword falling to a Carpenter. The twist would be that it was the one least expected, the Dutiful Daughter Amanda rather than the more prominent ones, like the youngest children and Daniel. I could buy Hope, if only because her nickname is Hobbit, too.

I'm one of the few who wouldn't be particularly happy if Thomas or Marcone wound up as a Knight.
Marcone's out in my book, he really only fit Fidelachius.  Id still be pleased with Thomas for Amorachius.  I also tend to think (or maybe just want to believe) that the whole Carpenter family got passed over for a sword when Charity fumbled that catch.

Im curious who we'll eventually see take up Esperiachius at the end (because you know all the original Knights are going to bite it); I suspect Harry will get a one-scene use of it as their last Hope.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 08:15:34 PM »
Marcone's out in my book, he really only fit Fidelachius.  Id still be pleased with Thomas for Amorachius.  I also tend to think (or maybe just want to believe) that the whole Carpenter family got passed over for a sword when Charity fumbled that catch.

Im curious who we'll eventually see take up Esperiachius at the end (because you know all the original Knights are going to bite it); I suspect Harry will get a one-scene use of it as their last Hope.

Well, we have three names: Faith (who will be returning), Hope (Carpenter), and Amanda (which means "Worthy of love"). It's a bit on the nose, but I can't argue against that kind of thing.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 12:20:02 PM »
Another reason why I dont want it to be any of them is that they are all still mostly faceless extra's.  I want them to go to characters we've spent time with, not somebody from the fringes. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 07:48:47 PM »
Fair point.

Have you considered Daniels potential fall into
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 09:12:59 PM »
Another reason why I dont want it to be any of them is that they are all still mostly faceless extra's.  I want them to go to characters we've spent time with, not somebody from the fringes.
Amoracchius could fall to a major character - but the real majors have all been explicitly in the picture before, what with A being out of the running since Michael got crippled, and they haven't picked it up yet. So it'd require a significant shift anyway, significant enough that it could also shift a fringe into semi-major supporting character (which is what Sanya is, IMO - he's not a core character like Michael, Murphy, Thomas, Mab, and perhaps since GS, Butters).