Author Topic: What's Up With Marcone?  (Read 15120 times)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What's Up With Marcone?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 11:36:11 PM »
Marcone being supernatural downgrades him from a badass who's able to stand toe-to-toe with things that could obliterate him out of sheer savvy and chutzpah to, "Oh, another one."

Indeed. Also, remember Murphy? As soon as she tried to upgrade to a Supernatural Level she lost her Badass Normal status and got taken down- Hard.

Marcone is Genre Savvy enough to know that as long as he refuses any power boosts, he'll have Badass Normal levels of Plot Armour to allow him to keep up with all the Gods/Demons/Angels that he's running around with.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 12:14:40 AM »
Cause we'd know what to look for would we?(or Harry the perspective gazer)
No, but if it's so important, you'd think it would make some kind of difference worth noting.
Funny thing is besides the naming, what do you THINK a starborn can do that would ruin his 'vanillaniss"?
Literally anything at all.  If being Starborn doesn't ruin his vanillaness, then there's no point in him being one.

Plus, there's the whole "they're rare" thing going on, on the scale of one per several centuries as far as we know.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 04:08:03 AM »
No, but if it's so important, you'd think it would make some kind of difference worth noting.Literally anything at all.  If being Starborn doesn't ruin his vanillaness, then there's no point in him being one.

Plus, there's the whole "they're rare" thing going on, on the scale of one per several centuries as far as we know.
No, actually per woj there's millions of them, most simply lack any disconcernable power to leverage as Harry does. The most unique thing about them is they are ordinary it seems. Being so ordinary I think most really never encounter heavy supernatural events/personages. Marcone dispite being ordinary, does. Look at the private relations he's had with both Odin and now Mab, he has influence, strike that. He IS influence.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 12:09:11 PM »
What WOJ are you referring to?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 12:14:17 PM »
I think he is equating Starborn with free will and power to influence events.  I think leveraging events, being a fulcrum at pivotal events is one characteristic of a Starborn.  And with that one characteristic, you could say there are many Starborn; however, I believe there are many other characteristics that go into Starborn besides influencing events.

Cause we'd know what to look for would we?(or Harry the perspective gazer)
Funny thing is besides the naming, what do you THINK a starborn can do that would ruin his 'vanillaniss"?
Cause honestly... between Harry's confrontation with Hwwb4 and the one with MW i'm thinking Starborn simply means a 'prime' personality amongst the stars. So if we think about reality as nothing more than 'Gods' mind and Outsiders as the invading consciousness we get a pretty good mock up for how the War actually is. I mean it's not like Earth has a literal dark Planet Named Nemesis that is supposed to come around and cause apocalyptic scale destruction or anything...(yes, we do!)
TWG/C is our Aeon
Hah.  I like how you think God's mind, it being like reality, and Outsiders invading it.  I argued in a long past age that it was something like you said.  Or did I argue what we were reading in a sense was Harry's mind being invaded by Outsiders. 

Anyways, I forget all the particulars but had "Hokey Pokey" being part of a magical dance linked to God, or at least w Harry dancing it against Outsiders is able to defeat them. It is similar to how he defeated HWWB when he was young using cultural reference to peewee herman's dance to not allow HWWB to be exactly behind him.  Then in Cold Days, Molly, Harry and Gang were able to use "We will, We will rock you." against HWWBefore.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:28:13 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 01:22:12 PM »
Marcone has yet to demonstrate the one quality it is explicitly stated that Starborn have: the ability to wield power over Outsiders. For that matter, we haven't seen Elaine do it either—unless we start really stretching things, assume Aurora was infected as stated by Lily, and that the brambles and thorns Elaine held back was some kind of Outsider-powered thing (in fairness, it does kind of look like Aurora made something from nothing, but hey, it's the Nevernever; the rules for magic don't necessarily apply).

Aside from that, I third (or fourth or whatever) Mr. Death's statement that Marcone becoming super makes him less cool. Aside aside from that, Marcone would only take power if it came without strings; Marcone works for Marcone. If he picked up a mantle, for example, it'd come with obligation, and that's just not his style.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 03:54:18 PM »
I'm listening to The Fellowship of the Ring and just realized that Tom Bombadill could have been a Star Born, if he wasn't one of the originals.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 04:12:57 PM »
Just going to chime in and agree with some of the other posters. If Marcone is not a vanilla human he becomes less interesting/cool. I love the fact that Marcone (as a normal human being) has risen so high in the supernatural world with only his intelligence, discipline, and will (plus money and connections). Giving him supernatural power/lineage cheapens what he has accomplished IMO.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 05:35:20 PM »
No, actually per woj there's millions of them, most simply lack any disconcernable power to leverage as Harry does.
[citation needed]

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 01:06:09 AM »
I think marcone could have supernatural lineage but he chose to be vanilla mortal.  He likely was a changeling/scion that gave up his other side to be a professional monster.  He did in fact say he chose to be a professional monster.  That can be taken one of two ways: free willed choice, or  something akin to a changeling choosing their mortal half then going the monster route.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 06:37:21 AM »
I think marcone could have supernatural lineage but he chose to be vanilla mortal.  He likely was a changeling/scion that gave up his other side to be a professional monster.  He did in fact say he chose to be a professional monster.  That can be taken one of two ways: free willed choice, or  something akin to a changeling choosing their mortal half then going the monster route.

OK that's possible but what would the point be?  I mean from the standpoint of overall story, if Marcone's a mortal now, with no special powers or the chance to make a different choice, then it really doesn't matter if one of his parents was fae or some other supernatural creature.  It might explain how he got clued-in on the supernatural world, but little else. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 11:52:26 AM »
The point would be that we can't exclude his parentage being non-vanillas.  We can have Marcone as mortal human with him still being having supernatural lineage.  People tend to argue if he is not vanilla or something that it would destroy his character/accomplishments.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:54:34 AM by raidem »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 12:22:27 PM »
No, actually per woj there's millions of them, most simply lack any disconcernable power to leverage as Harry does. The most unique thing about them is they are ordinary it seems. Being so ordinary I think most really never encounter heavy supernatural events/personages. Marcone dispite being ordinary, does. Look at the private relations he's had with both Odin and now Mab, he has influence, strike that. He IS influence.
The only WOJ we have on it only says that both Harry and Elaine had the potential to be Starborn, and that for that purpose their birthdays (a few months apart) were close enough which ruled out Harry's Halloween birthday being significant.  Nowhere has it been said there are more, let alone millions. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 01:04:54 PM »
The point would be that we can't exclude his parentage being non-vanillas.  We can have Marcone as mortal human with him still being having supernatural lineage.  People tend to argue if he is not vanilla or something that it would destroy his character/accomplishments.
Again, what is the point of a supernatural lineage that has no affect on him?

A piece of his backstory that nobody knows about, nobody brings up, nobody notices and has no affect on him and his life may as well not be there.

Now, I will say I can see Marcone trying to acquire supernatural power, but on his terms. Not unlike Xanatos -- but at minimum, I would not be at all surprised to find that he had Gard enchant his jacket to be bulletproof like Harry's, and other such personal-security type stuff.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:06:59 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »
Well, I'm really not in the camp of him having supernatural roots that have no effect on him.  I believe these supernatural roots are what is partly why mab, Odin, Hades have taken notice of him.

You are assuming his parentage is something nobody knows about, nobody brings up, nobody notices, and has no affect on him and his life.  That is a huge assumption that is false.  We only see via Harry so we don't know what other characters know. And I'm sure marcone's parents had an effect on his life.

To go even further, we are limited to seeing via Harry's viewpoint only for a few days every span of months up to a year.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:00:55 PM by raidem »