Author Topic: Modern Memes and Harry's magic  (Read 3240 times)

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Modern Memes and Harry's magic
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:13:43 PM »
One of the themes of the series is that the white council wizards are conservative old biddies who are having difficulty adapting to the changing world.  Harry being the exception.  The classic is Harry mocking Morgan for creating the 'star wars rip-off" hologram of the world to show danger spots. 

So my question is this.  What "very modern" element of the world should Harry leverage in his next magical innovation.  Cutting edge science?  Leapfrog off a technology?  Cultural ah-ha? 

My personal item would be Harry creating a magical sensor using a cell phone case -- so it basically looks like he is taking selfies while actually doing a detailed scan of the magical nature of the area.    Or alternately, using cell phones "connectivity" to provide a structure to a complex spell that needs to effect a very large area. 

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Memes and Harry's magic
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 11:48:13 AM »
Using a spirit of intellect to access the internet for him by taking realistic voice commands through a circle seems like a good start. 

I really liked how he adapted his take on Elaine's Lightning Magic to take advantage of the American power grid, so something along those lines would be nice.  Of course the age-old Magic Hot Water Heater would be nice to see. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 12:25:50 PM »
Considering that Harry and Molly are both Winter nobility now, I'm waiting for them to Star Warsify up the Arctis Tor a bit. Not sure how yet, but I like the idea of Winter's center becoming almost like an Imperial Hoth installation. And magical AT-ATs!

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 12:28:03 PM »
Considering that Harry and Molly are both Winter nobility now, I'm waiting for them to Star Warsify up the Arctis Tor a bit. Not sure how yet, but I like the idea of Winter's center becoming almost like an Imperial Hoth installation. And magical AT-ATs!
Haha, maaaybe?  That seems more in the power of the Lady than the Knight (at least for Arctis Minoris) and we all know she's more of a Trek than a Wars girl.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 12:37:49 PM »
Haha, maaaybe?  That seems more in the power of the Lady than the Knight (at least for Arctis Minoris) and we all know she's more of a Trek than a Wars girl.

True, more Molly than Harry. And I would also gladly accept a Roddenberryfication. If anyone summons her, maybe she'll use the transporter effect! That would be sweet!

To return to topic, I'd be curious to see what Harry would do with autonomous magical constructs that mimic modern drones. He's got the Little Folk for lots of mass surveillance efforts and searches, but maybe he needs to actually see with his own Sight what's going on in different places. Maybe he makes a bunch of paper airplanes, throws them out the window, and they hunt through Chicago for something. He can also shift his remote Sight from plane to plane, so if one reports "Hey, I found it!", he'll immediately get a Look.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 12:39:17 PM »
Concur.

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »
Concur.

That is amazing. I want this even more now.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 06:22:13 PM »
How about a cross-over with Cinder Spires, in that Harry develops a pair of goggles that mimic his use of the sight?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 06:51:56 PM »
How about a cross-over with Cinder Spires, in that Harry develops a pair of goggles that mimic his use of the sight?

Goggles he makes using furycraft, you mean?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 03:04:41 AM »
Sure, works for me
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline TheJrade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 05:01:25 AM »
In 'The Winter Lawyer', a story I am kicking around, the hero's sidekick wins the heart (or at least interest of) of Captain Luccio by making her a completely functional modern computer.  Human magic's deleterious effects on technology stem mostly from changes in the four Fundamental Interactive forces, none of which are in play in fiber-optic technologies.  Luccio's screen and keyboard are hooked up to a macro-bundle of fiber-optic cabling which stretches to a distance safe from her magical influence.