Author Topic: Dog Men Release Q&A Suggestions  (Read 11107 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Men Release Q&A Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 12:43:58 PM »
"Where did the idea for Bob come from?"

"Why Chicago?"

"Where did you get the idea for Harry's names?"

Because I don't like spoilers.

You are the Devil. :)

Maybe a question about Elaine's parentage and the circumstances of her birth? Jim's said that Elaine has the potential to be a Starborn, so maybe we can use Elaine as a sneaky way to find out more about making Starborns, which could be the key to several fan puzzles (or sink several theories).

Offline revan2357

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 12:45:06 PM »
In Small Favor, the Archive is hiding under a veil right under the nose of half a dozen Denarians, yet she wasn't worried that one of them would use the Sight to find her.   Is it that she knew that Tessa and her minions didn't have enough magical power to open up a Third Eye, or was it some "Veil 2.0" spell that is impenetrable to the Sight?

Great question. It never even crossed my mind to question that scene. Given what Tessa was throwing around later on, I wouldn't think that power is an issue but still...

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 02:57:57 PM »
Harry (Houdini)
Blackstone (Harry)
Copperfield (David, but there is some contention about that since Harry was born before David Copperfield took that stage name)
Dresden (A city in Germany.  Jim was listening to TV once and heard that name and it stuck with him.)
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »
Great question. It never even crossed my mind to question that scene. Given what Tessa was throwing around later on, I wouldn't think that power is an issue but still...

If applicable, you can also follow up with the following:

In Cold Days, Bob states that the original Merlin's magic is "the internal combustion engine" to Harry's "stone axes".  Given the Archive's abilities, is the Archive able to understand (and use?) Merlin-level magic?

or possibly:

Who would win in a cage match between Kemmler and the Original Merlin,  and how much of a RoFL-stomp would it be?
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 04:40:22 PM »
What kind of implications will there be given that Harry used a branch from the oldest tree on DR, both when he uses his staff on DR, and off of DR?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 10:59:42 PM »
"Where did the idea for Bob come from?"

"Why Chicago?"

"Where did you get the idea for Harry's names?"

Because I don't like spoilers.
You can't see me Griffyn; but, I am giving you a pouty face.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 11:13:11 PM »
All of those have been answered in past Q&A's. Bob is a literal talking head which Jim put in to make a joke at his writing teacher; Chicago because he couldn't use his original location he wanted to use, since that original location would have been too similar to Anita Blake;  Harry's name is an amalgamation of different magician names and Dresden was used for some obscure reason I don't remember of the top of my head.
I've got more.

"How many books will there be?"

You are the Devil. :)
"How did you hear about your first hardcover book?"

You can't see me Griffyn; but, I am giving you a pouty face.
"Why does Harry wear a hat on the covers?  He doesn't wear a hat in the books."

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 06:18:20 PM »
How did you develop your magic system?
Tell me the story about how the Codex Alera was written.
Is there going to be a move/TV series?
How old is Harry?
Will you write any more Codex Alera books?

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 10:06:00 PM »
*waves white flag*
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 01:47:07 AM »

Tessa probably has use of the Sight, but I'm not sure how effective a tactic it actually would have been in the aquarium. They had no idea what room Ivy was in, and it risks 'information overload' to use it for a room-by-room search. Plus Ivy probably would have changed plans from hide to throw her hardest punch by surprise if she saw anyone trying that.

In terms of questions, I'd like to nominate for consideration:
- Can blampires just go to sleep in a well-hidden coffin for a few decades to wait out a period of danger, and did any of the Elders try to get through the Stokerlypse like that?
- In the DV, historical authors like Shakespeare, Stoker and Lovecraft were "onto something". Are there any others?
- Since the event is for the Dog Men release, I suppose it's topical to ask what was up with those feds? They didn't seem especially bothered by a couple of wizards learning there are clued feds. So there's the (highly reclusive) Librarians and some other agency that's LTW has some familiarity with?
- What's the actual difference between a Fae ruler and a pagan god? The Fae still seem to depend on belief to some extent (hence Mab inspiring the Brothers Grimm and Walt Disney to keep faeries in human cultural mythology). Vadderung / Kringle is straddling the line, and the Erlking also seems to have aspects of some of the pagan hunt gods.
- In Fool Moon, Chauncey the demon told Harry the loup garou curse was "said to" have originally been cast by Saint Patrick. Supernaturally forcing an entire bloodline of people to become involuntary killers seems pretty out of alignment with Heaven's rules on free will. Was Chauncey repeating a false story as hearsay?
- In a previous Q&A about thresholds, Jim said the fetches actually hammered through the Carpenter threshold, making Harry mistaken in assuming they gained an invitation by shapeshifting into a trusted form. Putting together the Scarecrow's seemingly abnormally high resistance to iron with the subsequent information from Cold Days (Cat Sith's explanation of Fae law on thresholds, and that Nemesis releases its hosts from the binding rules of their nature), do we have sufficient basis to confirm the leading three fetches who entered the Carpenter house were N-fected?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 01:06:33 PM »
- In the DV, historical authors like Shakespeare, Stoker and Lovecraft were "onto something". Are there any others?

Hmm. Milton would give some serious insight into the BAT if he was right. Mary Shelley would be interesting, but I think everyone's doing Frankenstein right now, so maybe it'd be too popular (though I think it'd be a good fit for necromancy).

Either way, good question.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 12:38:01 AM »
Time to ask the important question:

Does Harry buy the Guard Chicago Pizza or Real Pizza?

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 04:00:58 AM »
Time to ask the important question:

Does Harry buy the Guard Chicago Pizza or Real Pizza?

Neither, he eats at Burger King.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 04:19:06 AM »

Harry does sure, but my question was about what he feeds the 'Za Lord Guard

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »
Harry does sure, but my question was about what he feeds the 'Za Lord Guard
No, Harry buys (and eats when he does) Pizza'spress Pizza.  IIRC he even said he liked it best because that is what he ate a LOT of when he couldn't afford better.