Author Topic: If the Dresden Files were Japanese  (Read 2406 times)

Offline MattDavidson

• Participant
    • View Profile
If the Dresden Files were Japanese
« on: March 03, 2018, 02:00:12 PM »
I mean, the plot of the Dresden Files really does feel like a good anime plot, and if the Japanese had thought of the plot first/bought the rights to a Japanese adaptation of the Dresden Files, what might have come out of their efforts?
I can already think of a synopsis.
26-year-old Kabuto Kawanari (played by Matsuyama Kenichi of Death Note fame) is a highly-intelligent private investigator who aims to bring true order to Tokyo. There's a twist, though. He is also secretly a highly-powerful wizard prodigy who solves the supernatural cases the Japanese police are not equipped to solve. However, as he solves more cases, three things become clear. One, Tokyo holds a dark secret that was kept well-hidden from the public for millennia. Two, every case he has solved might be connected in one big super-case. Three, he's probably going to have to deal with his past sooner or later...

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: If the Dresden Files were Japanese
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 04:38:39 PM »
I can't see a Japanese version of the Dresden Files retaining the technological conflict with magic, nor the public ignorance of magic.  It'd be more like Alex Hughes' Mindspace series, with public awareness of 'magical' abilities, but set in Tokyo rather than Atlanta, with a combo of Dresden-style nature magic with Mindspace-style tech and psionics.

I'd want Dichen Lachman involved (even though she's not Japanese; she could play a regional foreign player), mostly because I kind of love her.  As for other Japanese actors, I can't say I've see much modern Japanese cinema. Any other casting I'd suggest would be Japanese-American actors, which wouldn't really be a Japanese production.