Author Topic: Black Gate Magazine, interview w/ Jim Butcher  (Read 3412 times)

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Black Gate Magazine, interview w/ Jim Butcher
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:33:58 PM »
I was looking in Utube to see if there were any panels from Pensacola and came across the one listed in the subject, dated 6 days ago.  Haven't listened to it yet, but thought I'd let you all know about it...

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Black Gate Magazine, interview w/ Jim Butcher
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 10:30:09 PM »
nothing new....  :(

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 01:04:29 AM »
nothing new....  :(

Why do fans even go to a Q&A if they're only going to bring questions that are already on basically every youtube vid of Jim at a convention? I'd swear a full third of the content in every. frickin'. one. of them is his canned answers to how the DF was supposed to be boring to show up his teacher for pushing formulaic writing and how he came up with Alera on an internet bet.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 04:16:37 AM »
Why do fans even go to a Q&A if they're only going to bring questions that are already on basically every youtube vid of Jim at a convention? I'd swear a full third of the content in every. frickin'. one. of them is his canned answers to how the DF was supposed to be boring to show up his teacher for pushing formulaic writing and how he came up with Alera on an internet bet.

At this point I suspect they're probably people that his publicist hired to ask him prearranged questions. That way he has a bunch of answers ready for most of the questions and can't accidentally give something away/upset someone by giving a bad answer.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 04:41:33 AM »
At this point I suspect they're probably people that his publicist hired to ask him prearranged questions. That way he has a bunch of answers ready for most of the questions and can't accidentally give something away/upset someone by giving a bad answer.

My guess is that there are fans of the Dresden Files that go, but don't bother sitting through youtube video's like we do.  So the same questions get asked.  Sometimes a unique question gets asked, and Jim is pretty good on the "I'm not gonna tell you" to avoid bad answers.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 11:16:20 PM »
I'm like enough with the interviews, let's get a new book out first.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Desden

• Conversationalist
  • Dead Beat is thus far my favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 04:31:30 AM »
My guess is that with the influx of money from skin games and harry deciding to be a father, he's probably going to outsource some if not alot of the work and maintenance to the Svartalves. So probably a simliar loadout +1 plus some bonus feats
"Took cover," I provided. "In the action business, when you don't want to say you ran like a mouse, you call it 'taking cover.' It's alot more heroic."

"Right," Butters said, flushing. "I took cover."

"It's fun, taking cover," I said. "I take cover all the time." - Dead Beat

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 04:58:51 AM »
I'm like enough with the interviews, let's get a new book out first.

Yea, I know what you mean.  Jim was at another Con in Seattle this weekend and unless he did something he hasn't done in maybe five or six years; read the first three or four chapters to a con audience, I'm not interested in watching any panels he did.  Fortunately, Jim doesn't have any other personal appearances listed on his schedule until the last weekend of April.  Hopefully we'll have some good news by then.  (Fingers crossed, throwing salt over my shoulder, not stepping on any cracks or breaking any mirrors.)
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 09:43:32 AM »
I think that is half the reason I am on Twitter. Hoping for a few words or updates about Butcher.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 04:54:53 PM »
I always watch his interviews when they come out, because suddenly he springs gems on us like the Brazilian witchdoctor story from a few months ago. Also, outside of his stock answers mentioned above, he is a very entertaining person. At least half of those interviews include new material, normally.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 08:40:03 PM »
I always watch his interviews when they come out, because suddenly he springs gems on us like the Brazilian witchdoctor story from a few months ago. Also, outside of his stock answers mentioned above, he is a very entertaining person. At least half of those interviews include new material, normally.

Well that story has been around for longer than a few months ;)
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 09:49:23 PM »
Probably, but it's the first time I had ever heard it and I listened to a good two dozen interviews at the very least. :)