Author Topic: Which Denarian Coin would you choose?  (Read 9792 times)

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Which Denarian Coin would you choose?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2018, 12:02:53 PM »
I doubt Nic would have chosen a coin for his daughter whose Fallen was categorically unwilling to treat their bearer as a partner and insisted on outright domination.

I was using it as a hypothetical example to explain that we had more interactions with hosts and not with fallen.  The We have seen two fallen with different hosts, Ursiel and Magog.  For Magog, through Sanya's reporting and by the one that Elder Gruff Killed on DR it seems that he prefers domination.  It seemed that Ursiel prefered the same based on the interaction with him in Blood Rites (via Harry's Soul Gaze), but when interacting with the Geno in SG it seemed more interested in a partnership, or was at least unable to dominate the Geno. 

Full ramps seem like a grey area. We're not really sure whether the soul entirely leaves the building when they turn (Susan remaining willing to be sacrificed suggests it's not instant). I'd gather the Fallen could probably bond with one in a pinch, but given how far they've already corrupted themselves, a rampire is probably less of a notch in their hellish bests to corrupt than a mortal human.

It may be slipping my mind, but I have not read the bigfoot shorts, but what exactly is the Geno, is he a fae, mytical creature or what? Cause he took a coin. 

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2018, 06:12:42 PM »
I haven't either, but I don't think Harry was familiar with that particular subspecies of bigfoot until meeting the Genoskwa, but I think in general bigfoots are of this world rather than a nevernever species that visits from time to time. The comparison of bigfoots and ramps occurred to me too, but I don't know quite what to make of it. Absent any contradictory WOJ I'd tend to put the Genoskwa under the same category of "less evilly satisfying than corrupting a human" albeit compatible.

Ursiel's interest there was probably that a superior tank build was more important at the time than the satisfaction of corrupting and enslaving a mortal.

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »
Ursiel's interest there was probably that a superior tank build was more important at the time than the satisfaction of corrupting and enslaving a mortal.

This is my point.  Ursiel seems a bit more willing to work with people, or is he just in this once case.  We don't really know enough about all of the Denarians to make any kid of decision. 

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 12:10:59 AM »
Ursiel seems a bit more willing to work with people, or is he just in this once case.  We don't really know enough about all of the Denarians to make any kid of decision.

Unconfirmed, but I'd lean towards assuming it varies somewhat based on the host's personality. If the Fallen who normally prefer domination run into a host who matches their particular flavour of cruelty pretty closely, it's not like the Fallen can really force them into doing something they're 100% down for anyway. Like that Supernatural episode with the nutjob killer who'd been exorcised of a demon but really liked being a host and wanted it back.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:17:22 AM by Snark Knight »

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2018, 01:37:28 AM »
Since Deirdre isn’t using hers anymore, I’d take hers. Hair blades sound lovely. Plus, I’d be like Nic’s adopted daughter and we could have all sorts of picnics and other fun stuff like he did with Deirde.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2018, 05:59:25 PM »
Since Deirdre isn’t using hers anymore, I’d take hers. Hair blades sound lovely. Plus, I’d be like Nic’s adopted daughter and we could have all sorts of picnics and other fun stuff like he did with Deirde.

Remember that he also required her to sacrifice her life for his goals....
I would definitely rule out Magog and Ursiel. I would rather not be dominated. If I went bad and took up a coin I would go with Lash or Anduriel.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 01:01:41 PM »
I want to change my vote. Immuriel. Praying Mantis and bug-related superpowers could be totally broken if used to its greatest effect.

(Unless there's one that can turn me into an owlbear. I've always wanted to be an owlbear.)

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2018, 12:58:06 PM »
I want to change my vote. Immuriel. Praying Mantis and bug-related superpowers could be totally broken if used to its greatest effect.

(Unless there's one that can turn me into an owlbear. I've always wanted to be an owlbear.)

I think if an Owlbear Denarian was mentioned to Jim during a Q&A or convention he would assign it to one of the Denarians he has written down, but not shown yet. He does love gaming after all.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2018, 01:07:32 PM »
I'm waiting for the Kaiju book to include Mindflayer servants.