Author Topic: Major Opens in the Series  (Read 5266 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Major Opens in the Series
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 02:05:05 PM »
Iirc correctly there was a WOJ that implied a "Murphy Funeral" scene in Peace Talks.  Most of us expect this to be something entirely different than the obvious (Karin Murphy DIES), so I was originally thinking maybe Mama Murphy dies of perfectly Mundane causes, but it throws Karin for a very understandable loop and maybe even prompts harry to reveal what little he knows about the Black Cats and Capt Jack o' the Angels.   Now Im wondering if it will be a flashback to her fathers funeral?

A flashback from a non-perspective character in a first person narrative is dicey. It'd have to be in the context of Murphy describing it to Harry, or watching a recording (which would be weird), or a dream or something. I think it'd be Ma Murphy's funeral, which would open the door for Murph to talk about her dad, and Harry to talk about his. "You don't talk about him much," as a lead-in, then an outpouring of emotion and Harry fighting back tears and smiling wistfully about Malcolm sawing a woman in half on stage, while Murph talks about the way her dad died, and how they found him, and how she blames him, and Harry struggles internally with telling her that he met him in Ghost Story. Once she finds out, she connects the dots and realizes that Papa Murphy had some kind of irregularity with his death, like Carmichael, and they fight because Harry kept secrets from her. Murph spends the rest of the book digging into the Black Cat files.

Malcolm would probably come later, unless Murphy discovers that they knew each other.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 12:11:23 AM »
How well will the Harry/Murphy ship sail if Murphy finds out that Harry had a talk with her dead father?  Could it be the iceberg that sinks it on its maiden voyage?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 02:18:03 PM »
How well will the Harry/Murphy ship sail if Murphy finds out that Harry had a talk with her dead father?  Could it be the iceberg that sinks it on its maiden voyage?

Nah. But it'd be a hell of a conflict. Harry's wizened up a bit since Summer Knight; we saw that in Turn Coat with Will. If it permanently poisoned their relationship, it would be too much of a rehash of Cassius/Tavi, too. Murphy's softened some of her edges toward Harry over the series, too, and God knows she knows the kind of stuff he's had on his plate.

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 05:31:35 AM »
Nah. But it'd be a hell of a conflict. Harry's wizened up a bit since Summer Knight; we saw that in Turn Coat with Will. If it permanently poisoned their relationship, it would be too much of a rehash of Cassius/Tavi, too. Murphy's softened some of her edges toward Harry over the series, too, and God knows she knows the kind of stuff he's had on his plate.

Which was a rehash of Raucus/Sextus.  Tropes are kinda Butcher's thing.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 02:55:35 PM »
Eh. I really can't see Murphy ending a fifteen-year friendship and newish relationship because Harry spoke to her dead father three years ago. It isn't like Cap'n Jack is alive and in hiding; the guy is dead and remains dead, and nothing Harry can say or do would change that. If he was a ghost like Sir Stuart and Harry knew about it, or was otherwise contactable for Murphy to have a talk with him, it'd be different, but even the local ectomancer isn't willing to do that to Jack. She could get irrationally angry, but not to the "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO MEEEEEE?!"-level Cassius did. If she did react that way, then it'd read like a total relationship cop-out, like Jim was just trying to end things without killing anybody. 

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 11:14:44 PM »
Eh. I really can't see Murphy ending a fifteen-year friendship and newish relationship because Harry spoke to her dead father three years ago. It isn't like Cap'n Jack is alive and in hiding; the guy is dead and remains dead, and nothing Harry can say or do would change that. If he was a ghost like Sir Stuart and Harry knew about it, or was otherwise contactable for Murphy to have a talk with him, it'd be different, but even the local ectomancer isn't willing to do that to Jack. She could get irrationally angry, but not to the "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO MEEEEEE?!"-level Cassius did. If she did react that way, then it'd read like a total relationship cop-out, like Jim was just trying to end things without killing anybody.
I completely agree. I don't her being too upset. Only a little frustrated that Harry didn't tell her sooner which he can easily sidestep by pointing to the circumstances/events surrounding his return making communication difficult. I doubt Jim would do that to her as it would be a regression in character/trust (IMO).