Author Topic: Just a guess about Peace Talks  (Read 12382 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Just a guess about Peace Talks
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 09:16:28 PM »
It is my understanding that Ivy is a member of the Accords in her own right. She is often used as an Arbiter because she is neutral, but I do not think she is actually a full time Arbiter. She could be present as just another Accords member and someone else may serve as an Arbiter if one is needed.
This is true.  She's an Independent signatory just like Marcone, Drakul or Ferro.  In DM, Bob said that "The vampires and the Council will pick from a list of neutral emissaries" which is how she was chosen (and it was just Harry's choice in SmF) so we can assume she's on that list, but I think we can also likely assume that there are Independent Signatories that are more politically active and so not considered Neutral parties. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 11:00:16 PM »
This is true.  She's an Independent signatory just like Marcone, Drakul or Ferro.  In DM, Bob said that "The vampires and the Council will pick from a list of neutral emissaries" which is how she was chosen (and it was just Harry's choice in SmF) so we can assume she's on that list, but I think we can also likely assume that there are Independent Signatories that are more politically active and so not considered Neutral parties.

I see Ivy as being present at the arbitration as a party and not the arbiter given that she was attacked by another accords member fairly recently.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 12:13:22 AM »
Not everybody appreciates Mac's beer. The monstrous heathens.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 02:00:32 PM »
I see Ivy as being present at the arbitration as a party and not the arbiter given that she was attacked by another accords member fairly recently.
Oh, Agreed.  I think she has been active enough lately to be willing to take part in the talks, even if the Fomor werent likely making themselves the Enemy of the Oblivion War. 

I also think she'd want to come to see Harry alive.  And Im curious to see how Kincaid looks after Ivy was done with him.   :-\
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 04:39:59 PM »
Not everybody appreciates Mac's beer. The monstrous heathens.

It's how you know they're bad guys.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
Because they dont like Mac's beer.  What more evidence do you need of their warped inhumanity?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 05:19:50 PM »

And yet Duke Ortega did like Mac's Beer, even though he only needed blood to survive.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 05:35:29 PM »
It is my understanding that Ivy is a member of the Accords in her own right. She is often used as an Arbiter because she is neutral, but I do not think she is actually a full time Arbiter. She could be present as just another Accords member and someone else may serve as an Arbiter if one is needed.

Whoever is the arbiter would need to have enough Power to be able to actually do something about anything that neccesitates involvement.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »
And yet Duke Ortega did like Mac's Beer, even though he only needed blood to survive.

Ortega was only pretending to like it. He was a sneaky little bee.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »
Whoever is the arbiter would need to have enough Power to be able to actually do something about anything that neccesitates involvement.

/Ulfgeir
Yes and no. I would argue that respect of the involved parties is most important. The accords were set up by Mab and thus she has a big investment in seeing them remain intact and accepted. If the arbiter reaches a decision or endorses a certain action/view point then she would lend her power to the fulfillment of that outcome.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 07:24:59 PM »

/Ulfgeir

Or be backed by a party, or parties.  A promise, or contract has magical power in the DV.  If the parties involved agreed that a neutral party would be respected as arbiter it would be a bond, one that if broken could come back on the offenders pretty badly.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2018, 07:39:17 PM »
Or be backed by a party, or parties.  A promise, or contract has magical power in the DV.  If the parties involved agreed that a neutral party would be respected as arbiter it would be a bond, one that if broken could come back on the offenders pretty badly.

Exactly. Well said.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2018, 04:39:45 PM »
Indeed. Case in point: Nic and the events of Skin Game. 

(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2018, 08:18:56 PM »
Pretty sure if all the parties at the Peace Talks agreed to an Arbiter and then one of the parties crossed that arbiter, every other party would come down on them like a load of bricks. Now that I write that, I kind of want to see it.

Reminds me of the scene in the Eragon series where the Dwarf council punishes one of its members by ignoring him completely no matter what he does. Seeing that dwarf try to get everyones attention and growing more and more frustrated/frantic was extremely gratifying.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2018, 01:42:57 PM »
Pretty sure if all the parties at the Peace Talks agreed to an Arbiter and then one of the parties crossed that arbiter, every other party would come down on them like a load of bricks. Now that I write that, I kind of want to see it.

Reminds me of the scene in the Eragon series where the Dwarf council punishes one of its members by ignoring him completely no matter what he does. Seeing that dwarf try to get everyones attention and growing more and more frustrated/frantic was extremely gratifying.
I think this is more or less the Role Marcone is playing; not actual Arbiter (with the sort of absolute authority they get) because this is a political Discussion and not a Duel, but he /is/ the Host specifically because he has a reputation for Neutrality in the Supernatural world. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/