Author Topic: What theme song would you have for any character or book?  (Read 4972 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
What theme song would you have for any character or book?
« on: February 07, 2018, 08:27:37 PM »
Thought this would be kind of fun
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: What theme song would you have for any character or book?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 10:43:29 PM »
I've said this before, but I like to imagine a montage of scenes from Changes to Linkin Park's Iridescent, and from Ghost Story to Waiting for the End.  I feel like the words for both are poetic to the plots and developments from the books.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 10:47:10 PM »
I often connect Harry with AC/DC.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 11:30:39 PM »
I often connect Harry with AC/DC.
Anything in particular?

I usually associate the series with the LP album Minutes to Midnight because I used to play it while reading the books on my lunch break.

Thunderstruck is associated with something else in my head, so it doesn't fit with Harry.  Dirty Deeds is... Not exactly Harry to me.  Hells Bells actually reminds me more of Supernatural then Dresden. 

Shinedown's 45 and FF Learning to Walk for obvious reasons thanks to Cold Days.  Simple Man feels like something Maggie would have written to Thomas, as her only son before she knew Harry was coming.

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 11:43:41 PM »
Harry walking into a room w/ Iron Man by Sabbath in background.   Toot flying in w/ Faeries wear boots playing.  another for Harry pre / during fight, Let the bodies hit the floor!
for Grey I was thinking Method Mans CREAM. he all about that money lol. (cash rules everything around me)   
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline DroppaMaPantz

• Participant
  • Amber's Court Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 08:38:20 PM »
Harry :Rainbow In The Dark - Dio or Changes- 3 Doors Down
Thomas: Poison - Alice Cooper
Sanya: What I've Done - Linkin Park
 I will think more for other characters.
Also Sleeping Sun- Nightwish just speaks to me of Harry and Susans relationship. If i made a Dresden Movie i would play it during Fool Moon during the scene where she bathes him and they sleep together.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:48:40 PM by DroppaMaPantz »

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 01:11:05 AM »
Anything in particular?

I usually associate the series with the LP album Minutes to Midnight because I used to play it while reading the books on my lunch break.

Thunderstruck is associated with something else in my head, so it doesn't fit with Harry.  Dirty Deeds is... Not exactly Harry to me.  Hells Bells actually reminds me more of Supernatural then Dresden. 

Shinedown's 45 and FF Learning to Walk for obvious reasons thanks to Cold Days.  Simple Man feels like something Maggie would have written to Thomas, as her only son before she knew Harry was coming.
Usually "Back in Black."
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 01:14:02 AM »
For Supernatural, it is usually "Highway to Hell."
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 12:58:49 PM »
It feels to me like every story of the Dresden Files has a positive note in there. This tends to render most metal songs a bit unfitting; they tend to the dark side.
Likewise, any actually positive song is out (as a story themesong) because the stories do tend to have the negative side too.

That said, there's no reason to ignore them for personal themesongs!

For Molly after Cold Days, I am partial to Oonagh's "Märchen enden gut" (fairytales end well). The German distracts a bit as Molly is certainly not German, but the sound and essence seems to fit to someone who is holding on very hard (and possibly failing in the future) to the idea that even through the bleakness, fairytales will end on a positive note.
Alternatively, Frozen's "Let it go". Not nearly dark enough for Maeve, but Molly "unchained" would fit with the song.

For Mother Summer/Winter, I'd go for Celtic Woman's "The Voice", with a upbeat sound but also such gems like "I am the voice of your hunger and pain".

For Mab, Within Temptation's "Ice Queen". Should be obvious enough. Though it could be applied to Mother Winter as well.

For Lasciel, Within Temptations "Angels". Again, pretty obvious - it is all about a false saviour of a fallen angel. But it has the deception angle too - this is not an obvious dark angel like many of the Denarians' partners, it's a seemingly helpful angel who turns out dark (and who gets a proper kicking at the end of the song).

For Butters, Prince of Egypt's "When you believe". The realization circa Skin Game's end that, indeed "who knows what miracles you can achieve, you will when you believe". Plus a bit of Hebrew thrown in for good measure.

For Uriel, Prince of Egypt's "through heaven's eyes". Nothing says Uriel quite like this song's sense of: in the big picture you're doing great, but sorry, you can never understand quite how.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 03:40:09 AM »
Some of these I've posted before, in similar threads:

Harry Dresden: The Impossible Dream, Harlem Nocturne, (Everything I Do) I Do It For You, Eye of the Tiger, Hammer To Fall

Molly Carpenter: Hot Child In The City, Born Too Late, Hazy Shade of Winter, Fire and Ice

Lara Raith: I Know What Boys Like, Hungry Eyes, Naughty Girls Need Love Too, What's Love Got To Do With It?, Venus

Elaine Mallory: Abracadabra

Michael Carpenter: Faith Is The Victory, Amazing Grace

Offline 2,176,847

• Participant
  • "Polka will never die!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 11:56:12 AM »
Apologies in advance... this kind of question is my KRYPTONITE and I'm going to have at it this morning... also I have the flu and nothing else to do.  :P

Thomas Raith - This Night by Black Lab (brooding, I know!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cucFfpsqf8

The Outsiders - Mahna Mahna by the Muppets (for funsies)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ

I'll be back! (Thomas' was the only one that lept to mind as it's early here)

"I'm no philosopher, Harry, but here's something for you to think about, at least. What goes around comes around. And sometimes you get what comes around. And, sometimes you are what's coming around." -Michael Carpenter

Offline 2,176,847

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 12:41:58 PM »

Archangel Uriel - (aka "heavens spymaster") Unbalanced Pieces by Soulsavers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS3UmyOA-u4

I know Uriel is "the quiet one" but I imagine him walking in slow motion while laying waste to Egypt's firstborn while humming "... and the chessboard still has two unbalanced pieces.". Just me? Yeah, probably just me, lol.

Michael Carpenter - John the Revelator by Curtis Stigers & The Forest Rangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6NDdF-R2uk

This one mostly fits in theme and style, but I admit my knowledge of Christian themed music is sadly limited. Thank God for heardonTV.com.  ;D

"I'm no philosopher, Harry, but here's something for you to think about, at least. What goes around comes around. And sometimes you get what comes around. And, sometimes you are what's coming around." -Michael Carpenter

Offline 2,176,847

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 01:57:54 PM »
Trying to come up with a theme song for Dresden but I can't get that Cold Days workout montage out of my head. (Foo Fighters "Walk" I think it's called) I'll get there.

Offline 2,176,847

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 02:25:17 PM »

"Gentleman" Johnny Marcone - The Man Who Sold The World by Nirvana sans electrical outlet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fregObNcHC8

Is "duh" to obvous?

Maeve - Bad Romance by Lady Gaga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4YZeyl0I

That's not "lazy".  8) Lazy would be giving Bad Romance to Lara Raith. Right?

Offline 2,176,847

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 03:16:04 PM »
Young Molly Carpenter - Across the Universe by Fiona Apple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhMEKiIb86I

Hoo-boy you're in for a ride girl

Ghost Story Molly Carpenter - Don't Speak by No Doubt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR3Vdo5etCQ

This includes Cold Days Molly too, but not sure where to go from here...

...thought I'd have a part three "modern Molly" but... wow, story telling is hard. Damn you Jim Butcher!

On Edit: always comes to you at the last moment amIright - Molly part tres - Angel by Sarah McLachlan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SiylvmFI_8

:'(
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:23:41 PM by 2,176,847 »