Author Topic: Just a random thought on the prisoner  (Read 3136 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Just a random thought on the prisoner
« on: February 24, 2018, 07:31:57 PM »
So maybe the prisoner on Demon Reach is an Archangel (or a god).  He said he "needed" to be there.  Maybe he's there in stasis keeping the Island powered?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Just a random thought on the prisoner
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 07:42:18 PM »
One of the Raphael iterations was that Merlin, possessing Raphael's Grace, was forced to stay in his own prison to keep it working. 

It was eventually replaced with the idea that Alfred (being a vessel, as he described himself) bears the Grace. 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »
One of the Raphael iterations was that Merlin, possessing Raphael's Grace, was forced to stay in his own prison to keep it working. 

It was eventually replaced with the idea that Alfred (being a vessel, as he described himself) bears the Grace.

The only reason it doesn't jive with me is Alfred's weakness is to Sidhe magic which makes it sound like his strength and weakness is nature based, and not angelic.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 10:10:34 PM »
The only reason it doesn't jive with me is Alfred's weakness is to Sidhe magic which makes it sound like his strength and weakness is nature based, and not angelic.
Was he weak?

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 10:45:38 PM »
I didn't think so. He stood up to both of the Fairie Princesses and their retinues for a good bit of time. If he was weak to them, I think he'd have gotten dissolved a lot quicker.
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 08:44:59 PM »
I didn't think so. He stood up to both of the Fairie Princesses and their retinues for a good bit of time. If he was weak to them, I think he'd have gotten dissolved a lot quicker.
Harry's logic in that scene was that he was only going down as fast as he was because at his core he is a Genus Locii which is a Nature Spirit, regardless of how augmented he was.  Granted Harry is fallible and was far from an expert on that and even at the time said it was just a guess, but he did say it was Obvious that the Ladies had some sort of Edge.

Quote from: CD ch. 50
Not only that, but Demonreach was a genius loci, a nature spirit. The fae were intimately connected to nature on a level that no one had ever been able to fully understand. One could probably make an argument that Demonreach was one of the fae, or at least a very close neighbor. Either way, the mantles of the Ladies of Winter and Summer would carry a measure of dominion and power over beings like Demonreach. Clearly they were not sovereign over the guardian spirit, because it was withstanding them. Just as clearly, they had something going for them, because it wasn’t trying to crush them, either.

Now, For every theory that Raphael is Powering Demonreach there is one that he is powering the Outer Gates themselves, so Id say the possibility remains for all parties to be correct: That DR is Angelic AND that a similarity in the Ladies' Natures granted them a measure of Advantage in that context; could be they (and all lynchpins of the Cosmic Defense Scheme) are Angelic in Nature, deep down. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 09:15:40 PM »

Why Raphael in particular?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 09:22:08 PM »
He was described as The Demon Binder, and the archangel that prefers to do things himself, way back in SmF.  Ever since then he's been pegged as an archangel we expect to see on stage.  As to why he's theoretically related to either Demonreach or the Outer gates, both are cosmic-type things that could be described as actively "Binding Demons" and which could thus far not be created any other way known. Well, I guess they cannot actually be Created at all by the Rules we know, but since they were we are looking for a reasonable McGuffin that would explain it. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 12:11:17 AM »
He was described as The Demon Binder, and the archangel that prefers to do things himself, way back in SmF.  Ever since then he's been pegged as an archangel we expect to see on stage.  As to why he's theoretically related to either Demonreach or the Outer gates, both are cosmic-type things that could be described as actively "Binding Demons" and which could thus far not be created any other way known. Well, I guess they cannot actually be Created at all by the Rules we know, but since they were we are looking for a reasonable McGuffin that would explain it. 
He's not just Demon Binder, which could be a reference to his later work as someone that helped a mortal free themselves of demonic influence and bound them in the process.  His big claim to fame is that he created an earthly prison to keep a Fallen imprisoned. Some interpretations are that it is used to imprison some or all of the other Fallen Watchers.

Demonreach is basically Dudael 2.0, but built for things other than Christian angels (i.e. fallen angels of other pantheons, a la Naagloshi).  To me, that makes him the most fitting sponsor.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »
Ah. I know Raphael as an archangel of healing, and his insertion into Paradise Lost as the one who recounts the War in Heaven to Adam. Seemed weird for that to be related, but I forgot about Dudael. That makes a lot more sense now.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 03:00:16 PM »
He's not just Demon Binder, which could be a reference to his later work as someone that helped a mortal free themselves of demonic influence and bound them in the process.  His big claim to fame is that he created an earthly prison to keep a Fallen imprisoned. Some interpretations are that it is used to imprison some or all of the other Fallen Watchers.

Demonreach is basically Dudael 2.0, but built for things other than Christian angels (i.e. fallen angels of other pantheons, a la Naagloshi).  To me, that makes him the most fitting sponsor.
While  this is true and I tend to agree, I want to point out for those watching that the DemonBinder name and the description of liking to do things themself were the only canon parts from the novels, the rest is from the RL myths surrounding the angels, so the DV characterization may or may not be using those bits.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/