Author Topic: Maggie Sr  (Read 11536 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Sr
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »
There was that 3rdEye addict in SF that was able to spot HWWB's influence on him.  Not seeing anything specific in the Chauncy FM scene. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »
Third eye gave people a measure of wizard sight, I wonder how many were driven crazy. A bunch of mortal driven mad by the same potion. I could see them being used in some kind of ritual, as sacrifices or cultists.
k moinuddin

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2018, 06:05:57 AM »
Third eye gave people a measure of wizard sight, I wonder how many were driven crazy. A bunch of mortal driven mad by the same potion. I could see them being used in some kind of ritual, as sacrifices or cultists.

I just wonder what the Council would think of the three-eye potion, if it started being widely distributed.  It doesn't in itself violate a Law of Magic, but I'll bet the Wardens would be after whoever was doing it.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2018, 06:43:30 PM »
I just wonder what the Council would think of the three-eye potion, if it started being widely distributed.  It doesn't in itself violate a Law of Magic, but I'll bet the Wardens would be after whoever was doing it.

I could see a case being made that the addictive nature of the drug could be considered to have violated the third law.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2018, 06:58:37 PM »

I'd say it's dancing around the mind magic laws...  Also since the one guy could see He Who Walks Before's mark on Harry there is the possibility they can actually communicate with Outsiders, violating another law.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2018, 07:23:05 PM »
I think they'd probably consider it along the lines of, "It's not technically in violation of the law, but it's wrong enough that we're going to step in."
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2018, 08:25:18 PM »
I think they'd probably consider it along the lines of, "It's not technically in violation of the law, but it's wrong enough that we're going to step in."
I dont think they'd go after the users for violating anything, and honestly since it's all consensual I dont htink the relevant Laws would apply. 

Of course, there are plenty of things that the Council doenst like and will go after people for that doesnt fall under one of the Seven Laws, and I have to think they'd take issue with ANY potion (or other working magic) to be mass-distributed, regardless of the nature of it's effects.  A magic weight-loss potion or anti-wrinkle cream would be just as dangerous as Magic Drugs, to their POV.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 11:04:56 PM »
I wonder what would happen if a variation of this potion was used on those that posses minor magical gifts. I doubt it would enhance their power, but it could help them develop their limited gifts.
k moinuddin

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 01:51:24 PM »
A magic weight-loss potion or anti-wrinkle cream would be just as dangerous as Magic Drugs, to their POV.
Harry did once try to brew a hair-growing potion when he was trying to grow a beard. Apparently it worked, but not as intended. Regardless, Harry could conceivably have a cure for freaking BALDNESS. Do you have any idea how ridiculously valuable that would be? Even if he just had a salon, he could charge thousands per "treatment," and have a line out the door morning, noon, and night.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2018, 03:01:14 PM »
Harry did once try to brew a hair-growing potion when he was trying to grow a beard. Apparently it worked, but not as intended. Regardless, Harry could conceivably have a cure for freaking BALDNESS. Do you have any idea how ridiculously valuable that would be? Even if he just had a salon, he could charge thousands per "treatment," and have a line out the door morning, noon, and night.
For the first Day.  Then he'd have the FDA and CDC breaking down his door :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2018, 04:56:49 PM »
He'd be better off doing something on the downlow -- find a really vain celebrity and become his go-to guy for things like that. You think Bob couldn't come up with a magic wrinkle cream?

Harry could be filthy rich if he didn't have so many scruples about how he uses his magic.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2018, 07:56:02 PM »
That's not even particularly unscrupulous; it's providing a service. He could even flat-out tell them it's a magic potion. Of course, now it's redundant, because he has a sack of diamonds, but the dude could've made enough money to hire a personal army before he was thirty. Honestly, I would've figured out how to monetize Bob's knowledge the minute I got him.

...Maybe there's a good reason magic isn't real.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2018, 09:58:41 PM »
I'd say it's dancing around the mind magic laws...  Also since the one guy could see He Who Walks Before's mark on Harry there is the possibility they can actually communicate with Outsiders, violating another law.

Interesting point.  The Seventh Law is the most tricky to deal with of them all, it's the one that can get you killed for reading the wrong book.  OTOH, I doubt that actually happens very often, for various reasons. 

I don't think the Sight seeing Outsider taint would count as a violation, though.  That would potentially put the whole Council in violation of its own law at any given moment.  But the ability to see the taint might be a channel that opens the possibility of a violation, so I could see that as one reason the Council would want to shut down production.

Besides the fact that the stuff can easily drive weak-willed people nuts, as well.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2018, 10:28:08 PM »
Interesting point.  The Seventh Law is the most tricky to deal with of them all, it's the one that can get you killed for reading the wrong book.  OTOH, I doubt that actually happens very often, for various reasons. 

I don't think the Sight seeing Outsider taint would count as a violation, though.  That would potentially put the whole Council in violation of its own law at any given moment.  But the ability to see the taint might be a channel that opens the possibility of a violation, so I could see that as one reason the Council would want to shut down production.

Besides the fact that the stuff can easily drive weak-willed people nuts, as well.
Agreed, it grants the Sight, which is not in itself against the Laws, though it does give them the glimpse of the supernatural world they'd need to start walking those dark paths on their own, but there's nothing pushing them toward it vs the Light at that point (all other factors being equal).

That's not even particularly unscrupulous; it's providing a service. He could even flat-out tell them it's a magic potion. Of course, now it's redundant, because he has a sack of diamonds, but the dude could've made enough money to hire a personal army before he was thirty. Honestly, I would've figured out how to monetize Bob's knowledge the minute I got him.

...Maybe there's a good reason magic isn't real.
Keep in mind that he gets a ton of crap for just advertising in the Yellow Pages.  If he started selling actual Magic (as opposed to selling services that could technically be done without it, allowing for plausible deniability) there would be a slew of Interersts out there who might take offence and "Ask" him to stop; the Council would be in Line, but maybe not in front.  Anyone with an interest in keeping magic secret is going to object to marketing actual magic items/potions.  They wouldnt blink if you used it to, say, win the Lottery or game the stock market, but spreading around actual Proof of magic (in the form of a magical product others could independently test) is a whole other Danger. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2018, 06:20:40 PM »
For the first Day.  Then he'd have the FDA and CDC breaking down his door :P

Naw .... He could (probably) just give them the list of fairly innocuous ingredients.  Heck, even give them an actual sample.  Let them analyze it.  They'd say it has no reason for working, but as long as it does work, people will still buy it.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---