Author Topic: Reference Collection Review  (Read 17834 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Reference Collection Review
« on: January 31, 2018, 11:49:46 PM »
I'm going through the Reference Collection and will be jotting down my thoughts within this thread as I come across things.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,33109.0.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:09:35 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Reference Collection Review
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 11:54:05 PM »
List of Headaches [CD spoilers]
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,35813.0.html

I'm wondering if some of these headaches may coincide with dangers to Demonreach.
We know certain causes of headaches namely: Mab, Bonnie, and injuries.  I think though there may be 'conservation of history' at play OR actions that may endanger Demonreach that will cause headaches.  Why the Demonreach connection?  Because of these lines:

Then I saw the dissonance appear. Bob had chosen to show it as a sullen red light that began to pulse lightly at the westernmost edges of the great design. It began as something faint, but then, like an oncoming headache, started to throb into something larger and more noticeable. Where scarlet and blue light touched, there were ugly flares of energy—flares that I had been sensing ever since I’d gotten to the island. Before long, that scarlet pulse had spread to half the island, and then, abruptly, the screen went white. Text at the bottom read, NOVEMBER 1.

Or it is just Harry drawing a similarity without any real connection between headache and Demonreach.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:02:41 AM by raidem »

Offline kris.vickers

• Participant
  • I am not throwing away my shot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:15:33 AM »
Forgive my memory, but since Bob's signature color is orange. Has Bonnie gotten a color yet? Since labor pains were some of what Harry's headaches were originating from, have we seen a Bonnie color already perhaps?

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:27:15 AM »
And very gently, he drew back the black blanket. She looked like a child maybe twelve years old, in the last few weeks of true childhood before the sudden surge of hormones brought on the chain of rapid changes that lead into adolescence. Her hair was dark, like mine, but her eyes were a crystalline blue-green, the way Lash’s had often appeared. Her features were faintly familiar, and I realized in a surge of instinct that her face had been constructed from those of people in my life. She had the square, balanced chin of Karrin Murphy, the rounded cheeks of Ivy the Archive, and Susan Rodriguez’s jawline. Her nose had come from my first love, Elaine Mallory, her hair from my first apprentice, Kim Delaney. I knew because they were my memories, right there in front of me.

Lash-- her eyes were a crystalline blue-green
Murphy--her square, balanced chin
Ivy--her rounded cheeks
Susan--her  jawline
Elaine--her nose
Kim--her hair

I'm gonna go with the color of her eyes, "a crystalline blue-green" as being her color.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:33:02 AM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »
Dialogues and Portents.
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,35236.0.html

Harry's family
"I can show them to you, Harry Blackstone Dresde, as they really are," Chaunzaggoroth assured me, his voice dulcet.  "You've never seen your mother's face.  I can give that to you.  You've never heard her voice.  I can let youhear that as well.  You know nothing of what sort of peope your parents were - or if you have any other family out there.  Family, Harry Blackstone Dresden.  Blood.  Every bit as tormented and alone as you are ..."

Harry and Hell
"No," Denton said, white showing all around the grey irises of his eyes.  "No, wizard."  He raised his gun.  "I don't believe in hell.  I won't let you."

Cassandra's Tears
"Fire," she wispered.  "Wind.  I see dark things and a dark war.  I see my death coming for me, out of the spirit world.  And I see you at the middle of it all.  You're the beginning, the end, of it.  You're the one who can make the path go different ways."

The above reminds me of say two Harry's one starting dark path toward her death, and then Harry opposing it.  This may mean that Harry will end up fighting his other, most likely even another -Harry aside from the one in Mirror Mirror.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:12:53 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 05:18:49 PM »
Harry behaves like Nic. Nic knows Maggie Sr and respects her.  I'm wondering if there is a bloodline that Harry and Nic share that causes them to behave similarly.

DM CH 8, Ulshavaras
You are stained," she said.  "I can feel black magic on you."
"It's a long story," I said.  "But mostly it isn't mine."
"Some of it is."
..."Yah.  I've made a bad call or two."
[requests an honest answer to one question in exchange for info]
..."Why do you do what you do?" ... "I mean always," she answered.  "Why are you a wizard?  Why do you present yourself openly?  Why do you help other mortals as you do?"
"Uh," I said.  I stood up and paced over to my table.  "What else would I do?"
"Precisely," the doll said...  "You could be doing many other things.  You could be sequestered and studying.  You could be using your skills for material gain and living in wealth.  Even in your profession as an investigator, you could do more to avoid confrontation than you do.  But instead you consign yourself to a poor home, an dingy office,,, and the danger of facing all maner of mortal and supernatural foe.  Why?" 
"Well," I said.  "I guess I wanted to do something to help people.  Something I was good at."
"Is that why?"  she asked.
[long internal probing about the trouble he gets into]
"I don't know," I said finally.  "I guess I never thought about it all that much."
... "Don't you think you should?"

DM Chapter 21, Nic talking to Harry
"Little Maggie's youngest.  You've grown up to be a man of considerable strengths."
[buncha thoughts about his parents including remembering a picture of his parents, his mother very pregnant, in front of the Lincoln Memorial.]
[comments about how he (nic) tried to keep Harry out of things, it was hard to waylay an angelic messenger. "so why'd you do it?"]
"I have a fond memory or two of your mother.  It cost me little to attempt it.  So why not?"
"That's the second time you've mentioned her,"  I said.
"Yes.  I respected her.  Which is quite unusual for me."
"You respected her so much you snatched me and brought me here.  I see."
[ye ole' join up or die]
"Do you actually think you could convince me to join up with you?"
"Yes," he said.  "I know you."
"Do not."
"Do too," he replied.  "I know more about you than you do yourself."
"Such as?"
"Such as why you chose this kind of life for yourself.  To appoint yourself protector of mortal kind, and to make yourself the enemy of any who do them harm.  To live outcast from your own kind, laughed at and mocked by most mortals.  Living in a hovel, barely scraping by.  Spurning welath and fame.  Why do you do it?"
"I'm a disciple of the Tao of Peter Parker, obviously," I said.
... "It is all you will allow yourself, and I know why."
"All right.  Why?"
"Because you are ruled by fear.  You are afraid, Dresden."
I said, "Of what?"
"Of what you could be if you ever let yourself stray from the right-hand path," Nicodemus said.  "Of the power you could use.  You've thought about what it might be like to bend the world to your will.  The things you could have.  The people.  Some part of you has considered and found join in the idea of using your abilities to take what youw ish.  And you are afraid of that joy.  So you drive yourself toward martyrdom instead."
[after struggling to deny it] "Everyone has thoughts like that sometimes."
"No," Nicodemus said, "they don't.  Most people never consider such actions.  It never crosses their minds.  The average mortal would have no sure way of taking that kind of power.  But for you, it's different.  You may pretend you are like them.  But you are not."..."You don't want to see what you are, so you have very few pictures of yourself.  No mirrors, either."  ...  "I used to be much as you are now.  You are trapped.  You are lying to yourself.  You pretend to be like any other mortal because you are too terrified to admit that you aren't.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:23:51 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 05:54:49 PM »
It should also be noted that Nick Christian behaves similar to both Harry and to how Nic stated he behaved in his past.  I'd even posit that Marcone shares similarities with Harry, Nicodemus and Nick Christian.  Marcone is more like Nic in that he has chosen to bend the world to his will.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:37:24 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 06:36:55 PM »
"Love is patient. Love is kind. Love always forgives, trusts, supports, and endures. Love never fails. When every star in the heavens grows cold, and when silence lies once more on the face of the deep, three things will endure: faith, hope, and love."

"And the greatest of these is love," I finished. "That's from the Bible."

"First Corinthians, chapter thirteen," Thomas confirmed.

Edit:  Since the final book of the BAT is supposed to be "Empty Night," I think Quantus' comments couple nicely with the fact that the Wampire explicative of choice is "Empty Night" to imply that they have some important hidden task (Like Mab is in charge of the Outer Gates) that will be crucial for the BAT -Serack

I was thinking that the White Court, Raith specifically, wouldn't want Love to die out as they feed on lust. And it likely has power due to its close approximation to that of Love.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:40:55 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 01:15:59 AM »
Soulgazes with Harry.
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,41748.msg2038280.html#msg2038280
John Marcone - SF - Ch. 3
Susan Rodriguez - SF - Ch. 5 (mentioned)
Monica Sells - SF - Ch. 20
Parker - FM - Ch. 9
Phillip Denton - FM - Ch. 31
Ebeneezer McCoy - SK - Ch. 4 (mentioned)
Ebeneezer McCoy - BR - Ch. 30 (mentioned)
Elaine Mallory - SK - Ch. 8 (mentioned)
Elaine Mallory - WN - Ch. 31 (mentioned)
Rasmussen - DM - Ch. 6
Thomas Raith - BR - Ch. 21
Molly Carpenter - PG - Ch. 41
Helen 'Demeter' Beckitt - WN - Ch. 29
Evelyn Derek - TC- Ch. 22
Martin - Ch - Ch. 48

Close Calls
Tera West - FM - Ch. 14 (absence failure)
Karrin Murphy - GP - Ch. 19 (vacation failure)
Dr. Simmons - GP - Ch. 22 (clinical failure)
Mab - SK - Ch. 3 (absence failure)
The Archive - DM - Ch. 30 (avoided)
Justine - BR - Ch. 37 (avoided)
Jared Kincaid - BR - Ch. 30 (avoided)
Capiocorpus "Alicia" Corpsetaker - DB - Ch. 17 (avoided)
Capiocorpus "Luccio" Corpsetaker - DB - Ch. 39 (avoided)
Capiocorpus "Gray Ghost" Corpsetaker - GS - Ch. 45 (failed)
Cassius - DB - Ch. 23 (avoided)
Madrigal "Darby Cane" Raith - PG - Ch. 26 (avoided)
Charity Carpenter - PG - Ch. 34 (avoided)
Donar Vadderung - CD - Ch. 21 (avoided)
Deirdre Archleone - SG - Ch. 38 (avoided)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 01:25:06 AM »
Susan and I had soulgazed more than two years before. She'd tricked me into it. It was just after that she began pursuing me for stories more closely.
   Lea couldn't have taken memories around a soulgaze. But she could have covered them up, somehow, misted them over. No practical difference, for the average person.

I'm wondering if the same has perhaps happened between Murphy and Harry.  It is strange that throughout all this time they haven't soulgazed. I'm wondering if they have off camera, and they don't remember it, or at least Harry doesn't.  So, someone has misted the memory of it over for Harry.  Or maybe I'm completely wrong and they simply haven't yet had the soulgaze moment.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:28:17 AM by raidem »

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 09:02:10 AM »
No, they will soulgaze in the very last book. Then, Murphy freaks out and puts two in Harry's head. The End.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 12:03:07 AM »
Sorry that I haven't kept at this review.  I'll try to continue work on this section.