Author Topic: Cold Case - Molly's Truth  (Read 12597 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Cold Case - Molly's Truth
« on: January 29, 2018, 03:27:06 PM »
Just finished an idle re-read of Cold Case, and there were a pair of moments that jumped out at me:  In two instances, Molly made a decidedly un-Fae-like statement, and in both cases Mab Blinked.  There are some characters that simply dont Blink in that way without something significant behind it.  In this case I think Mab was surprised that Molly was actually, physically able to make the statements she did, now that she's a Sidhe.  I suspect Mab is concerned Curious about the implications of those statements, if to Molly's psychology if nothing else.

Here they were (bolding mine):

Molly:  "I can't just leave him here alone."
Mab blinked once, as if digesting my words.  "Why not?"
"Because...because it's not what decent people do."
"What has that to do with either of us?"
I shook my head.  "No.  I am not going to be like that."

Mab:  "If you have an alternative, I would be more than willing to consider it."
Silence Stretched.
"I don't," I said quietly.
I opened the door and looked back at her.  "I don't yet," I said, and I said it hard.  "This isn't over."
Mab gave me the slow blink again.  Then she inclined her head by a fraction of an inch, her expression pensive.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Case - Molly's Truth
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »
Oh, Ms. Duck would be doing a Happy Dance right now.

Mab=Molly.

However with my reformed Mab/Murphy/Molly theory, there exists right now parallel worlds whereby 'our' Mab is historical Mab, Murphy, or Molly. So, her blinking is a reflection of one of these Mab's feeling the effects from Molly's utterances.  There are causations and effects going off and our Mab, right then, is getting a feedback from some of the Mab's/herself in these parallel worlds.  The Mab/Molly entities within the parallel worlds are giving this Mab a 'talking too' via the mantle. Molly's words are placing bindings on our Mab. :)

Our Mab now knows Molly WILL BE Mab in some 'shadow' if not this one if she is experiencing these bindings.  She does after all, remain with him.  And, I find it likely Mab will not stop considering alternatives just as Molly said, it isn't over.

"shadow' is a parallel world in future, past, present, or parallel via mortal choice.

For my theory, we need to observe if Murphy comes to a point in which she is placing 'bindings' on Mab.
Harry's talk with Murphy about a relationship together and setting sell together like the Titanic, full steam ahead.  Murphy agreed.
There are others I've talked about before.  Murphy often makes 'deals,' like telling Harry..."you will pay for this coffee." ETC
These deals almost sound as if there is a Mab overlaying Murphy or a genetic predisposition torward Murphy making deals.
These though are said without having Murphy with a "mantle" enforcing what is said is truth,  but I think we may see in the end that some of Murphy's deals get enforced by Mab.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:23:10 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 04:50:53 PM »
Just finished an idle re-read of Cold Case, and there were a pair of moments that jumped out at me:  In two instances, Molly made a decidedly un-Fae-like statement, and in both cases Mab Blinked.  There are some characters that simply dont Blink in that way without something significant behind it.  In this case I think Mab was surprised that Molly was actually, physically able to make the statements she did, now that she's a Sidhe.  I suspect Mab is concerned Curious about the implications of those statements, if to Molly's psychology if nothing else.

Here they were (bolding mine):

Molly:  "I can't just leave him here alone."
Mab blinked once, as if digesting my words.  "Why not?"
"Because...because it's not what decent people do."
"What has that to do with either of us?"
I shook my head.  "No.  I am not going to be like that."

Mab:  "If you have an alternative, I would be more than willing to consider it."
Silence Stretched.
"I don't," I said quietly.
I opened the door and looked back at her.  "I don't yet," I said, and I said it hard.  "This isn't over."
Mab gave me the slow blink again.  Then she inclined her head by a fraction of an inch, her expression pensive.

Side note: I have not read Cold Case, so I don't know about the larger context.

It could be that the Winter Court has been so long without a humanizing presence that Mab is simply unprepared to hear it from one of the Fae. After Maeve, hearing the Winter Lady advocate with flat, direct statements on behalf of mortals (I assume from the quotes) would rock anyone back on their heels.

Or maybe Mab is simply considering that what Molly is saying may not just be right, but might have value.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 05:59:43 PM »
Or maybe Mab is just such an utter Bitch that the idea of acting in an even remotely decent manner is entirely foreign too her.

It probably felt like if someone came up to you one day and adamantly declares that the sky is Orange. Just kinda double-take and "What?" because that statement just wrong.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 06:59:51 PM »
Or maybe Mab is just such an utter Bitch that the idea of acting in an even remotely decent manner is entirely foreign too her.

It probably felt like if someone came up to you one day and adamantly declares that the sky is Orange. Just kinda double-take and "What?" because that statement just wrong.
Pretty much.  Or at least, unfathomable for a fae of the Winter Court to do that.

Note also that under the most strict readings of "truth" that some people use here, Molly actually lied.  She said she couldn't do a thing, when she very much could.  It'd be easy, all she would have to do is walk away.  She just didn't want to.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 07:10:25 PM »
Pretty much.  Or at least, unfathomable for a fae of the Winter Court to do that.

Note also that under the most strict readings of "truth" that some people use here, Molly actually lied.  She said she couldn't do a thing, when she very much could.  It'd be easy, all she would have to do is walk away.  She just didn't want to.
Not really. Molly could not do it and if she did she wouldn't be Molly anymore.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 08:37:01 PM »
Not really. Molly could not do it and if she did she wouldn't be Molly anymore.
Why not?  There may be consequences if you like (Molly would not be herself any more) but she could do it.  It's easy.  Certainly nothing physical or metaphysical stopping her from doing it.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 09:20:18 PM »
Why not?  There may be consequences if you like (Molly would not be herself any more) but she could do it.  It's easy.  Certainly nothing physical or metaphysical stopping her from doing it.
I do not think the fae are bound to a very strict literal interpretation of their words when what they say is a very well establisched saying. Molly can not bring herself do such a thing because she wants to be a decent person.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 09:48:31 PM »
Yeah, that's why I said under the most strict readings.  The same kind of readings that say that when Mab talks about stars falling before she breaks her word, it's not just her being poetic, but making literal prophecy.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 11:39:14 PM »
I wouldn't say a prophecy exactly. IMO it's  more a statement that if Mab fails to keep her word it means that she's failed, the Gates have been broken, and the stars are literally falling from the sky, Apocalypse Now.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 04:50:59 AM »

One interesting point is the question of whether Molly is herself now Sidhe.  If so, the statement that she 'can't' just leave someone there is problematic, because of course they can, in the sense of physical ability.  But at least at first glance, if Molly is now a Sidhe, she shouldn't have been able to utter that statement because it is factually false, and she knows it to be so.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 05:01:11 AM »
I disagree that it'd be a problem.

"I can't just leave him here alone." doesn't need to refer to a literal physical inability to move to be a true statement.

Following such a narrow understanding of their words is exactly what those tricksy faeries want.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 01:33:39 PM »
Remember Mab calling Bonnie a parasite? The literal interpretation is not necessary. Even worse I think the Sidhe can say anything as long as there is at least one interpretation of their words that is true.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 06:13:57 PM »
I'm more wondering if such statements in some sense can affect Winter Law, when uttered by one of the Queens.

That is, maybe from now on all Winter Fae are unable to abandon their vassals/allies harmed by their own mistakes.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 06:31:58 PM »
It could also work the other way around.

It's not so much a statement of her capabilities as it is a statement of her will. Her being unable to leave him there becomes fact because, as queen, she is declaring it so.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast