Author Topic: Were-Sharks: Rulers of the Pacific  (Read 3021 times)

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Were-Sharks: Rulers of the Pacific
« on: January 25, 2018, 08:17:11 AM »
All were-sharks claim descent from the King of the Sharks and his Hawaiian wife; thus all are of Oceanic descent. Those whose ancestry is insufficient to transform without help can have their powers enhanced by an Item of Power [+0]: sharks teeth from a full Shapeshifter can be implanted into the back of a Mundane islander; the teeth will form a shark's mouth (capable of biting) and grant the power to change. This is frequently done with crippled or aging relatives, allowing them to heal, and is partly responsible for the belief that some ancestors have transformed into sharks when they died.

Although were-sharks hunger for flesh, being limited to the oceans makes it easier for them to avoid killing people. Were-sharks will normally simply announce that they have spotted a shark before they transform, ensuring that the waters will be empty while they are a threat – tragedy only strikes if their warnings are ignored. Were-sharks guide lost ships home, and drive fish into fishing nets. In past times they were the scouts that found new islands to colonise.

Were-sharks become Tiger Sharks, and so are limited to temperate waters: mostly the seas of the Shark King – a triangle of waters bounded by California, Peru and the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. Within these waters they are both protected and bound by the laws of the kingdom, and expected to present themselves at Court on occasion.

During the 19thC large numbers of islanders were 'recruited' as labour by Australia, Canada, Peru and the United States: this trade descended in little more than slavery, to the embarrassment of these nations. Considerable effort was put into reforming the trade – quite successfully; there is nothing like were-sharks eating the worst offenders to reform an industry! The descendants of these workers  still live in these nations; although they often do not know their own ancestry. Very occasionally one is born with the ability to change; more commonly those with contacts in the supernatural community acquire teeth from their distant relatives and rejoin them in the seas.

The were-sharks 'Beast Speech' effect only works on species that they haven't eaten, so a restrained were-shark can easily acquire contacts throughout the Pacific, from remoras and pilot fish up to the powerful supernatural creatures who share the waters with the sharks. Most species, even non sentient fish such as Pilot Fish, are aware that of the limitation, and will use it to determine whether the were-shark is a threat. Unlike most shapeshifters, a were-shark can have improved social skills when transformed – particularly Contacts, Intimidation and Rapport – usable only within the ocean depths.

A were-shark must have an aspect related to their ancestry (although this could simply be a Trouble of an inherited tendency to obesity, common in the islands due to the historical lack of sugars).
Were-sharks improve their control as they age; a young were-shark can only use his supernatural Powers while transformed, over time these become available in human form as well. For every point of Refresh above 9, the were-shark may chose a Power to be available when human.
The exception is Feeding Dependency: a were-shark takes a point of Hunger stress every time they turn into a shark. Feeding Dependency is always in effect if the were-shark requires an item to transform (which is why the ability is only given out cautiously), those born with the ability only need worry about the Hunger while in shark form.
Aquatic, Armor and Claws only apply when a shark, with a single exception: if a were-shark using an IoP is being Grappled from behind, they can bite their opponent (tearing through their clothes to do so).
[-1] Beast Change
[-1] Echoes of the Beast
[+1] Human Form
[-1] Aquatic, [+1] Waterbound, the shark starts to 'drown' if they are not in the water.
[-1] Armour
[-1] Blood Drinker
[-1] Claws
[-1] Cloak of Shadows
[+1] Feeding Dependency, attached to:
[-2] Inhuman Strength
[-2] Inhuman Toughness
[+1] Catch: Tonic Immobility - Toughness unavailable while upside down or on your back.
[-0] Wizard's Constitution

Optional:
[+0] Item of Power - does allow a bite attack under very unusual circumstances; typically only when being grappled from behind.
[-2] Hulking Size (may be bought later, representing natural growth).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:20:54 AM by whitelaughter »
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Were-Sharks: Rulers of the Pacific
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 07:52:20 PM »
This one is a LOT of fun!  But pretty specific to coastal / island & ocean-going campaigns.

Still, it inspires me to wonder about something Cruise-Ship-centric, or a Club Med place.  Maybe an "Accorded Neutral" Club Med?   ;)

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 07:54:52 AM »
Thank you! Yes, very ocean specific, but hits the advantage that it can apply to both sides of the Pacific. The real worry is that tiger sharks swim quite slowly; crossing the Pacific would take years. You'd really want friends who could move you via the Never Never.

An Accorded cruise liner has the advantages that it can sail to contested cities to be neutral territory for peace talks; allows individuals on the run a way to get out of Dodge; is large enough that Hexers can be a mile from the engines. Certainly campaign potential. And at a cost of ~800 million dollars, they're within the price range for a starting mortal focused on wealth related Aspects. It would probably make sense to *buy* an already Accorded location and then build it into the cruise ship. Nice.
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 08:14:36 AM »
Neat.

As usual I'm nitpicky, though.

I don't think an Item of Power rebate is appropriate for an implant. If it can't be lost or taken, what are you getting Refresh for?

Mixed feelings on the idea of raising social skills with Beast Change. Not being able to do that is pretty important balance-wise. But it's kind of a neat idea, and maybe the underwater restriction can keep it in line.

Adding automatic extra hunger stress to a Feeding Dependency seems unwise, especially if you're not changing the rebate.

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »

Neat.

thank you!

As usual I'm nitpicky, though.
And as usual, I appreciate this :)

I don't think an Item of Power rebate is appropriate for an implant. If it can't be lost or taken, what are you getting Refresh for?
Partly because when visible it is a major hassle: it reveals what you are. But also because it can be removed - painfully. Consider the number of people who cannot remove wedding rings etc; such an item is still worth points, as an opponent can take it away..by removing the finger. Similarly a pair of pliers will remove this IoP (and less painfully than from a human mouth, as shark teeth are designed to be shed. This would be no harder than removing shards of broken glass).

Mixed feelings on the idea of raising social skills with Beast Change. Not being able to do that is pretty important balance-wise. But it's kind of a neat idea, and maybe the underwater restriction can keep it in line.
were-critters live in two worlds; anything that encourages the differences appeals to me. I rather like the idea of the socially inept human who is a influential and charismatic power under the waves.  And as you've said, the underwater restriction is major.

Adding automatic extra hunger stress to a Feeding Dependency seems unwise, especially if you're not changing the rebate.
theriothropes on land and in the sky need to fear their hunger, since they can accidentally devour a human easily. Being seabound limits this threat, and makes it easy to hide the change, so I needed another way to give it teeth. It also discourages repeated changes while near a boat, bringing them closer to the legends, where they never seem to exploit the possibilities of quick changes while in the water.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »
Partly because when visible it is a major hassle: it reveals what you are. But also because it can be removed - painfully. Consider the number of people who cannot remove wedding rings etc; such an item is still worth points, as an opponent can take it away..by removing the finger. Similarly a pair of pliers will remove this IoP (and less painfully than from a human mouth, as shark teeth are designed to be shed. This would be no harder than removing shards of broken glass).
I am unconvinced by this argument.

I would consider a "won't come off" wedding-ring as also unsuitable for a rebate, for one thing.  Separating an Item of Power from the wielder/user should IMHO be a relatively-common event.  Mostly events don't go pear-shaped and they pick it up again shortly, but occasionally they get in trouble from this.  Frodo-Nine-Finger notwithstanding, I do not consider this rebate'able (note fwiw that the One Ring was kind of famous for slipping off (and on) when un-wanted.  Isildur's Bane; it abandoned Gollum just hours before Bilbo happened along.  Frodo vanished in a crowded bar.  Etc) .

Secondly:  consider removing this "Item" from the PC.  Not only is it (minor) surgery... you have to frigging stick your hands in a shark-mouth  to do so!!!  And if the were-shark objects to your performing "minor" surgery, they may elect to perform some pretty MAJOR surgery on your hands...

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:06:13 PM »
this conversation would be easier if there were more +1 IoP in the books to use for comparison...actually, are there any?

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 06:08:05 PM »
The Hexenwulf belt is a 1 point item of power.

I think 2 point Items of Power are larger and more obvious Items like swords or canes, while smaller, more discrete items like rings, belts, boots or hats would be 1 point.   As a general guideline, an Item of Power should be something that can be taken away in 1 round of combat (such as by wrestling), or by removing it as easily as an article of clothing (removing a belt or boots).

I would treat implanted items that require surgery or wounds to be 0 point items.  They are more like aspects.

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 11:21:42 AM »
Thanks for pointing out the Hexenwulf belts.

IoP changed to +0