Author Topic: Did Maggie have a powerful Mantle?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Did Maggie have a powerful Mantle?
« on: February 04, 2018, 05:18:19 AM »
It seems in the Dresden Files that it's in a wizards nature to acquire knowledge, and for those willing to risk it, power.  Saying that Harry's mom was a risk taker is an understatement.  She took risks exploring the Never Never that few wizards were willing to do.  She was also ambitious, and intelligent...  So I have to ask if this type of wizard would get access to a Mantle of power.  I'd have to guess the answer was yes, it would be likely.  Here is my rational for thinking this:

#1.  She was willing to create a Starborn, so why not acquire her own personal power?
#2.  Jim has said that those on the Senior Council all have secret power they don't tell anyone about.  Why wouldn't she also attempt to get this kind of power?
#3.  Jim said at the age of 100 and getting pregnant she required some "help".  What kind of help would this be?  A Mantle keeping her youthful perhaps?
#4.  Le Fay, a name she was called is associated with a very powerful figure in mythology, and in the Dresden Files, Morgana Le Fay.
#5.  Leah would have required one huge favor to protect Harry (Power?)
#6.  She was killed on Halloween, the only time of the year that an Immortal can be killed (would she have gotten a Mantle with that kind of power??)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:20:25 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Did Maggie have a powerful Mantle?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 05:31:34 AM »
LeFey seems to be an epithet.  The name may be reflective of her power (mostly in the form of her influence) but I don't think it's a Mantle as such.  She got the name after she was what she was, not as part of becoming it.

As for the favor to Leah, maybe?  If Leah knew Harry might be a Starborn, and a powerful wizard in his own right, that kind of hold may have been enough for her to agree to it.  Though Jim did say that she made a bad bargain, where she could have gotten a lot more if she wasn't rushed, which seems to be indicative of some kind of payment.

The most relevant thing seems to be her personality.  She chafed against the chains of the Laws, how they restricted her (and other wizards) from doing the right thing, etc...  Most of the Mantles we've seen appear to have both power and restrictions or responsibilities.  Fae, Warden, Gatekeeper, etc...  I don't see Maggie being willing to let herself get chained down for whatever that would entail (Which we can't say without knowing what Mantle she might have) rather than leaving herself the option to do whatever she wants/deems right.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Did Maggie have a powerful Mantle?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 05:49:58 AM »
LeFey seems to be an epithet.  The name may be reflective of her power (mostly in the form of her influence) but I don't think it's a Mantle as such.  She got the name after she was what she was, not as part of becoming it.

Yeah I don't think she took on the Mantle of Morgana, just that it could indicate that she was on a level of power that demanded respect from the White Council, the ones I believe who called her by it.  Morgana's blade was on par with a KoTC's blade in value so she must have been pretty powerful.

Funny that Morgana Le Fay was also associated with Excalibur, a Sword Harry has right now lol.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:54:56 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.