Author Topic: Chronicles of Amber  (Read 9599 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Chronicles of Amber
« on: January 20, 2018, 06:08:28 PM »
I'm reading the Chronicles of Amber.  Jim was/is a fan of the series playing RGP based on the series.  Please join me as I listen to the series audiobooks.  I'll be jotting down similarities between The Chronicles of Amber and Dresden Files.

“What I want to know is, how did you meet the goddess Priscellie and Fred/Iago and others? And thank her again for doing the butcher block pod casts.”
Fred and I played a text-based internet RPG together called AmberMUSH, back in the early 90s when the internet was just beginning to hit. We did not get along well.  I was at odds with a friend of Fred’s, and Fred is the kind of guy who is fiercely loyal to his friends. We eventually worked things out,

Protagonist=Corwin

Nine Princes of Amber:
(click to show/hide)
The Guns of Amber
(click to show/hide)

Sign of the Unicorn
(click to show/hide)
The Hand of Oberon
(click to show/hide)

Courts of Chaos
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 03:56:24 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicles of Amber
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 09:11:41 PM »
I read the first series as a child several times and the second series as a student when they were released.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 10:02:47 AM »
I never read this series.  I'll have to give it a listen.  I'm getting a little tired of the Iron Druid series.  I just started the sixth book and it feels a little meh to me.  The next Alex Verus book doesn't come out until July and I don't know when the next Rivers of London novel will come out.  Any other suggestions? 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:08:46 PM »
This really is a good series.  I really enjoy listening to it. I'd get the ones on Audible.  I think told by a Spanish named guy.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 06:03:59 PM »
When you get to it pls explain Walking in these Amber books..
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 12:13:49 AM »
Walking is a main part of the books.  It is something that the Princes, Princess of Oberon can do after they travel a "Pattern" in the capital.

The Walking allows them to travel to parallel worlds.  And even if some of these worlds, cities/civilizations are long dead; they can walk and recreate these worlds.  They call this a 'shadow' of this other world.  Shadows of themselves can even exist.  So Corwin's presence in some of these worlds if they leave enough of an impression would leave a shadow of him that would exist aside from Corwin prime.

They simply travel like you and me down a road, etc in a car, a wagon, etc.  They add/subtract their surroundings in a way until they get to their desired location.  Sometimes they just go out exploring, with no destination in mind.  It's a innate ability but one they have to get tuned in with by walking the Pattern.

Harry 'walking' would be him going to Star Wars universe, then to Star Trek universe, Marvel, etc.  He can do all that and more.  If the Star Trek civilization goes extinct, or maybe the galaxy is eaten by the black hole, Harry could recreate this 'shadow' galaxy.  It isn't the same as the orginal but a close approximation.  And the shadow, ever so slight, would exist prior to Harry even 'recreating' it. He would just have to strengthen its reflection.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:50:30 PM by raidem »

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 04:05:03 AM »
*Maniacal Laughing*  I see indeed...

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 03:24:23 PM »
I never read this series.  I'll have to give it a listen.  I'm getting a little tired of the Iron Druid series.  I just started the sixth book and it feels a little meh to me.  The next Alex Verus book doesn't come out until July and I don't know when the next Rivers of London novel will come out.  Any other suggestions?

I had a similar reaction; my sense was that the author knew a whole lot of Irish mythology, and was really, really excited to tell everyone about it, but not much else. Hard to get through some of the books, which feel like "I went to a place, and a thing happened; I went to another place, and another thing happened; I went to a third place, and a third thing happened; the book is now over." And once the perspectives start shifting and the author made the decision to make all the other characters present tense for some ungodly reason, I just started to get mad. I still generally liked them, but there were an awful lot of warts to look past.

Honestly, I guess my biggest complaint was that it just wasn't Dresden, which I suppose isn't fair.

For weirdness (and I do mean weirdness), I'd say check out the John and Dave series (John Dies at the End, This Book is Full of Spiders (Seriously Dude, Don't Touch It), and a third with a name that's too ridiculous for me to remember). The first one was written bizarrely, with no real cohesive plot; a lot of things just sort of happen, because it was originally a web novel with sporadic posting that got picked up for publication. If you can get past that, it's a whole lot of fun. The following two books are tight, linear narratives. They're billed as horror-comedy, but it's Cosmic Horror-Comedy, which makes it closer to urban fantasy than horror, in my opinion. There's not much else like that series.

Most of the straight fantasy stuff I'd recommend that's coming out isn't released yet. But there should be some good high fantasy in the next year for major publishers, and a few urban fantasy things on the self-publishing marketplace that is far better than most of the tripe that's available in the genre.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 08:47:11 PM »
Yeah Jonas, many of our out there theories on parallel realities, time travel, multiple identities of the same person, etc, they all have a firm basis in Amber.  So, I think we can run with Amber cosmology as a base for Dresden Files.  I think it fits in general.

Corwin and the sons and daughters of Amber even visit Earth. So, we could even have Amber characters on Earth during the Dresden Files.  Hey, Mac could be a Amber prince himself.  Maybe not, but still.

I'm going to view the Dresden Files as either long after Amber's destruction, or coinciding with Amber's destruction, or something like it.

I really have to read more.  I'm still on third book.  Haven't listened to more of it, as I chose to argue with EG.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:52:07 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 03:04:14 PM »
I've added The Hand of Oberon.
It touches upon house thresholds, blood rituals, and blood that defiles and makes vulnerable The Pattern.  The Pattern and Dworkin's fate, strength, and weakness is intertwined.  Dworkin has a child Oberon, who has children, the Princes and Princess, they can have children but do sparingly.  Apparently any of these three generation's blood can cause great damage to The Pattern.

I think Jim is using this to create a similar vulnerability to Arctis Tor.

I included a bit about familial relationships in a spoiler in OP

The Hand of Oberon
(click to show/hide)

Ooh, thinking more about the blood of the bloodlines.  What would have happened if either Molly or Murphy's blood (should they qualify as Queen blood) would have been spilled on/at the tower.  It could make sense then that a way to free Lea would be to gut Molly near the Winter Wellspring, (or whoever has Queen's blood (3 generations))
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:45:53 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 08:58:50 PM »
Courts of Chaos
(click to show/hide)

One word of caution for those interested in the series.  There is lots of fluff to some of the narration with regard to traveling.  Lots, and Lots of descriptive stuff. Just go past that.  Not really important.  It gets really annoying if your wanting to basically skim/listen to the books for clues to Dresden Files. (It is an enjoyable series by itself but that narration gets boring.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 02:30:25 AM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 02:34:36 PM »
Trumps of Doom
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:24:46 AM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 03:50:06 AM »
Blood of Amber
(click to show/hide)
Sign of Chaos
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 01:23:11 AM by raidem »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 04:44:14 AM »
I think you should look up Randall Flagg.  It's not connected to the Chronicles of Amber but I have speculated that Jim may have taken the concept and given as he said "a new coat of paint"

The main reason is Randall Flagg is connected to He Who Walks Behind the Rows in Stephen King's novel.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 04:46:01 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 05:05:40 AM »
Dude, tagged that one a long time ago. He's also associated to Nyarlahotep which ties into some other DF stuff. Randall Flagg also is the Man in the Black in Stephen King's Gunslinger/Dark Tower series.
Likes I said... your not quite getting to the source material yet.