Author Topic: Making things on DR  (Read 15297 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Making things on DR
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 08:54:07 PM »
I apologize, I was imprecise in my thought. I meant that given Harrys shared Intellectus with DR he could build something while still on the island that would work to connect him to Alfred off the island and/or activate defenses on the island. I did not mean to imply that he would utilize the intellectus off the island. I would think that finding a way to activate defenses on DR would be a priority given the events of Cold Days.
Honestly, I get the impression (post SG) that he could now just leave Alfred with Standing Orders to react to a given threat in a specific way.  He just didnt know enough about how the Island work and what it could do back in CD.

Which is not to say he'd want the intellectus to work for thing like Babysitting...Parent can get weird, and if child-lowjack and whatnot exist I cant image Wizards being immune to that brand of crazy
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 01:41:38 PM »
Which is not to say he'd want the intellectus to work for thing like Babysitting...Parent can get weird, and if child-lowjack and whatnot exist I cant image Wizards being immune to that brand of crazy

Oh God, can you imagine the insane levels of precaution Harry is taking for Maggie? I can picture him layering her with protective talismans, enchanting all of her clothes to be bulletproof (and Downy Soft™), enchanted bracelets covering both arms that dispense antibacterial gel if they detect a sneeze in the vicinity, ruby red slippers that let her run faster than the speed of sound on autopilot directly to Harry's location if she clicks them three times... He's definitely going to be a helicopter dad, and I'm okay with it. (Yeah, I know she has Mouse, but Harry's Harry).

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 07:13:16 PM »
Honestly, I get the impression (post SG) that he could now just leave Alfred with Standing Orders to react to a given threat in a specific way.  He just didnt know enough about how the Island work and what it could do back in CD.

I'd suggest that, based on the scene in CD, where the Ladies are attacking the Well, that he has some "sub-routines" already built in to withstand some things.

It was the sea attack that wasn't really planned for (because DR isn't always in Lake Michigan?), but Harry now believes he can repel even that.  So maybe he "writes" new "sub-routines" to plan for something like that.

As to babysitting ... put the baby in some of that green crystal, and then there is NO problems.  LOL
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 09:01:32 PM »
We know very little about the capture and release process of prisoners.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 04:30:09 PM »
We know very little about the capture and release process of prisoners.
Only that per Alfred Harry has the authority to release inmates.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 04:55:54 PM »
Is the part where we suggest he puts a piece of green crystal from the caves in a slot on his pendant?  And it would allow him to remotely communicate with Alfred, control defenses, etc?

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 02:46:53 AM »
 I could see Harry placing a piece of island crystal in his amulet. I always thought Harry would make something to control/influence/augement the winter knight mantle. Harry could use soul fire to do so, but that is a big risk for him, so only items he won't easily loose. That would describe his amulet.

I had this epic idea, Harry could use soul fire to make a little "Demonreach ". He used soul fire to bond to the island, so if used on the model, it could amplify his powers. Potentially make it possible to use his connection off the island.
k moinuddin

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 08:33:31 AM »
Only that per Alfred Harry has the authority to release inmates.

That would give new meaning to making your child take a time out.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 04:13:12 PM »
I could see Harry placing a piece of island crystal in his amulet. I always thought Harry would make something to control/influence/augement the winter knight mantle. Harry could use soul fire to do so, but that is a big risk for him, so only items he won't easily loose. That would describe his amulet.
A while back we came up with all sorts of ideas for foci on his shield bracelet amulet, including using one of Mab's cufflinks as a foci for the WK mantle.  Since there's been no hint at issues with his mom's ruby being there, it could be he could handle a few more.  Or maybe it's at its limit.

I had this epic idea, Harry could use soul fire to make a little "Demonreach ". He used soul fire to bond to the island, so if used on the model, it could amplify his powers. Potentially make it possible to use his connection off the island.
I don't know if he'd need to, though.  He's got knowledge of the entire island at his disposal already.  The model would only be a 3D representation, which he might not need depending on how well he could project the image in his own mind.  And Alfred is ever-present even when not physically with him, so he can just think a command, and Alfred will take care of it.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 01:29:25 PM »
I'd suggest that, based on the scene in CD, where the Ladies are attacking the Well, that he has some "sub-routines" already built in to withstand some things.

It was the sea attack that wasn't really planned for (because DR isn't always in Lake Michigan?), but Harry now believes he can repel even that.  So maybe he "writes" new "sub-routines" to plan for something like that.
I dont know, Alphred didnt actually initiate anything that I recall.  Though to be fair Mab then gave him thanks for it's restraint which does imply he had active response options.  But the only thing that was Activated on the island was the defense Circle, and Lily did that. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 09:26:29 PM »
Sure he has a connection to the island, but the model would augement and refine them. Harry has never been one for fine control, but such a focus could let him pull off lots of little tricks.
k moinuddin

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 06:39:33 PM »
I dont know, Alphred didnt actually initiate anything that I recall.  Though to be fair Mab then gave him thanks for it's restraint which does imply he had active response options.  But the only thing that was Activated on the island was the defense Circle, and Lily did that.

Did she?  Sure she walked a circle, but I'm pretty sure the defensive circle was raised as an automatic response by DR.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 07:17:25 PM »
Did she?  Sure she walked a circle, but I'm pretty sure the defensive circle was raised as an automatic response by DR.
Nope, that was a specific part of the whole scene.  It was a pre-built Ward, but it was Lily that turned it on while Maeve distracted Alfred 
Quote from: CD ch. 49

He tested his right hand again and got a little more motion out of it before he winced. “I don’t know where this will get you,” he said, “but as far as I could tell, this was just a ritual circle, like any other.”

“How so?”

“When we landed, Maeve sent some hounds and some Little Folk after you and went straight for that lighthouse—and the guardian just popped up out of the ground, where it is now. Maeve assaulted the spirit, just like right now. She kept it busy while Lily walked a circle of the hilltop, singing. I’ve seen her set up circles like that a thousand times. But once she’d gone all the way around, kaboom, up came the wall.

I grunted. “Then . . . it’s a preinstalled defense that can be triggered like . . . Hell’s bells, not like a ward. It is a ward. A huge one. But if anything of the island passes through the circle without disturbing it, and anything that isn’t of the island is destroyed . . .” I followed the logic through and sagged.

“What?” Fix asked.

“Then there’s no way to break the circle,” I breathed. “It’s like a time-lock safe. It isn’t coming down until sunrise.”

“Meaning what?”

I swallowed. Sunrise was too late. So I gathered whatever scraps of strength I had left in me and pushed myself slowly, wearily to my feet.

“Meaning,” I said, “we’re on our own.”
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 01:13:59 PM »
Is the part where we suggest he puts a piece of green crystal from the caves in a slot on his pendant?  And it would allow him to remotely communicate with Alfred, control defenses, etc?
looking at his new staff on Case Files he has a spot very good for that, ask Gandalf ;)
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »
Q,

So how would things have fallen out if they hadn't triggered the ward?

I know Harry and co would have had quicker access to the attacking fairies, but do you think it would have had any effect on what DR did?