Author Topic: Spoilers: Star Wars: The Last Jedi  (Read 19556 times)

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Spoilers: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2018, 04:28:55 PM »
The remnants of the Empire retreated into the Unknown region where the Emperor had seeded some caches and factories with the help of Grand Admiral Thrawn. Meanwhile, as raidem said, the New Republic stagnated between the opposed sides of those who wanted a more centralized leadership (an Empire without the evil) vs those who wanted a decentralized  leadership with control resting in the hands of the sectors/planets.  A side effect was the downsizing of the military. Resources were being diverted to the First Order and they gained a foothold in the outer rim. Once the First Order started moving openly they started conquering and plundering planets.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »
Good point on Grand Admiral Thrawn.  He was the greatest character in the expanded universe.  I also loved the facts related to his downfall.  :)

Anyone want to ask what they are, and who they apply to?  And, how some of those same facts could be used to verify if Rey is related to the Skywalker line?  Anyone?

Anyone know what I'm talking about before I spoil it?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:50:43 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline HistoryDave

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2018, 07:28:01 PM »
Last Jedi was a dog's dinner of a movie.  Visually interesting, but designed to deconstruct everything about the established universe and characters.  Harry, who chose to live in an apartment that never changed and with a classic Star Wars poster, will hate this movie. 
What is the skid pad rating and 0-60 time on a zombie t-Rex?

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2018, 08:03:55 PM »
He would have liked The Force Awakens though. It had promise.  I mean you could see where things were borrowed from there to put over here in a different spot, but they were alright tweaks as long as Rey indeed fulfilled the role of Luke's daughter or at least a Skywalker descendant somehow.  If that is destroyed and there are no Luke children to replace Ben Skywalker nor Luke's love interest like Mara Jade, I'm going to be quite mad.  LIVID.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:15:44 PM by raidem »

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2018, 10:05:06 PM »
Good point on Grand Admiral Thrawn.  He was the greatest character in the expanded universe.  I also loved the facts related to his downfall.  :)

Anyone want to ask what they are, and who they apply to?  And, how some of those same facts could be used to verify if Rey is related to the Skywalker line?  Anyone?

Anyone know what I'm talking about before I spoil it?
I know you are itching to spoil it Raidem. So go ahead.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2018, 10:29:04 PM »
OK.

Grand Admiral Thrawn is like a HUGE genius at naval operations against his enemies.  He is nearly unbeatable.  He is guarded by fiercely loyal guards that have their own history with the Empire and they regard Vader as their savior from a poison plaguing their planet.  So, Thrawn sends a group of these assassins to kidnap Lea (or assassinate, but I think it was kidnap).  Before I go on, they have an extremely acute sense of smell where they can even differentiate a person's bloodline based on their smell.  Ok, now getting back to the story.  In their mission to kidnap Lea, they become aware via her smell that Lea shares a close bloodline with Vader.  This throws a wrench in the guards plans as they are fiercely loyal to the Empire because of their loyalty to Vader, not really any other reason that is strong as that one.  So, I forget the specificity of the plot at this point but basically Lea proceeds to convince them that the Empire actually poisoned their homeworld and that they should assist the New Republic instead of Thrawn.  However convincing her arguments were, they truly and highly respect Lady Vader so the higher ups began to shift toward Lea unbeknownst to the Imperial Remnants.  Now for another aside, these Noghri are like the galaxies best assassins.  I mean Emperor Palpatine went so far as to wipe out any historical record of their planet so he could have them as his assets in taking out his enemies, etc. So, getting back to the matter at hand, Thrawn wasn't aware of this tidbit about the Noghri: that they would essentially hold higher loyalty to Lady Vader than him.  So, Lea convinces the Noghri to help in one of the battles against Thrawn.  And right when Thrawn learns that Noghri assisted the New Republic in the battle, his Noghri bodyguard assassinates him.  This ends the threat of Thrawn, or at least the original Thrawn. 

How could this tie in with answering Rey's bloodline question?  Well, if Thrawn and these Noghri bodyguards (or just the Noghri) are in the next movie and they come across Rey, they may be able to sense her familial bloodline back toward the Skywalker family tree.  I guess it depends on how sensitive their senses are and how diluted subsequent generations of Skywalker's pheromones or such become.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:32:26 PM by raidem »

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2018, 11:42:21 PM »
Interesting story. Might need something more significant than DNA-smell. But, interesting story.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2018, 01:13:52 AM »
Maybe they just get an impression and then confirm it with DNA test.

That or its an innate force smell ability.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2018, 02:35:22 PM »
Just to add a bit to raidems recounting of the story. The Noghri's homeworld was originally poisoned during the clone wars. A battle took place above their planet and one of the capital ships crashed poisoning the land and preventing the agricultural society from growing any crops. A few years later Darth Vader was the first outsider to make contact with the Noghri and blamed the rebellion for the disaster (even though it happened during the Clone Wars). He promised the Empire's help in restoring the Noghri's planet and gave them droids that worked at cleansing the land. In return the Noghri served the Emperor and later Thrawn. Then, as raidem said, the Noghri were sent to capture Leia in order to take her unborn twins and Noghri recognized Leia as a daughter of Vader. They took her to their world where she was able to convince the Noghri that they had been duped. She took apart a robot and showed them that the robots were actually further damaging the land and slowing the recovery process as well as proving that the battle was not the rebellion's fault. The Noghri served Leia afterwards and one of the Noghri guarding Thrawn assassinated him in the middle of a huge battle causing the Empire to leave the engagement despite having the upper hand.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2018, 02:44:58 PM »
Thank you Talby16.  It lines up quite well with what I remember in the books.  I just didn't have the time nor the accurate recall to go further into the specifics.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2018, 03:35:43 PM »
Thank you Talby16.  It lines up quite well with what I remember in the books.  I just didn't have the time nor the accurate recall to go further into the specifics.

Always glad to lend my Star Wars knowledge.

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2018, 04:19:28 AM »
On Raidem's theory:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 04:22:02 AM by Sully »