Author Topic: Elemental Magic  (Read 2143 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Elemental Magic
« on: December 12, 2017, 05:06:21 PM »
I was looking over the Paranet Papers, again. And, the section on Elemental magic caught my mind. It seems that a wizard's  way of thinking and feeling seem to be connected to the types of magic they most often use.
Fire magic: Harry, a very emotional person.
Water magic: Carlos, a balanced and mature person.
Air magic: Elaine, a person of reason and logic.
Earth magic: Morgan, a person who goes with their gut instinct.
Spirit magic: Molly, a force of will person.
So, I was wondering if a person started shifting their use of power from one element to another; how much would that affect their behavior?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental Magic
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 05:59:44 PM »
My impression is that it mostly works the other way. If you're not very emotional, you just won't be very good at fire magic.

I'm not sure Harry could become more balanced by doing a bunch of water magic, but I bet he could become better at water magic by becoming more balanced.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »
So, the mentality has to happen before the magic does?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 11:53:41 PM »
So, the mentality has to happen before the magic does?
Surely the Lawbreaker stunts are the exact opposite of this? Magic changing who you are?

Assuming that Lawbreaker is merely the most extreme form of change makes sense; yes, you can become a psychopath by killing people, but also more emotional via fire etc.

The place were it would really matter is with Sponsored Magic; hence Harry's fear for both himself and Molly re: Winter.

This would be a sneaky way to get around the 3rd Law, rather than modifying an apprentice, order them to perform spells that inspire the changes you want. Since they are choosing to obey, it's a natural shift.

Of course, they're going to be really bad at spells that are contrary to what they are - hmm, Molly's bracelet is now disturbing. Especially given most of Harry's training was from DuMorne, and that's where he'd be getting the techniques from.
Oh, sod. DuMorne wanted Elaine and Harry in the sack together, so if Harry has been teaching Molly spells DuMorne designed for Elaine, that would explain why a childhood crush has lasted for a decade....
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.