Author Topic: The one character that you wish hadn't died  (Read 17202 times)

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The one character that you wish hadn't died
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 01:43:48 AM »
People who have been asserting something as firmly as we have seen Morgan assert Harry isn't innocent recanting on their deathbed to a more sympathetic position is neither convincingly realistic nor a trope I am fond of; and this holds whether Morgan genuinely believes Harry is guilty or not.  Either way it didn't ring true to me.

I saw it the other way.  He confirmed Harry's suspicion that it wasn't personal, that Morgan was simply trying to terrify Harry into staying good.  And that Morgan had come to respect Harry.

My problem with Morgan's death was that I expected Harry, after Morgan's compliment, to say something like "You just had to suck all the fun out of me getting to watch you die."  Leaving Morgan to die with a smile on his face.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 03:36:21 AM »
Lash I do miss. Her bits with Harry made him smarter.

It's kinda sad but yes, Harry's best and most positive  female relationship was probably the one with the fragment of a fallen angel that only existed inside his head.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »
In some ways, I think you're right.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 09:54:04 AM »
Particularly when you consider, the reason for this is she's the only one he couldn't hide his true self from. She basically fell in love with him in so much as that she sacrificed herself and performed the act of creation from it via Lash.

*Also part of why I consider the Reaper more likely to be Susan, her sacrifice should have been a similar act within her own soul.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Firestarter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »
Hmm... I think that the way Morgan died was only natural.  There was a piece of information that he had to tell Dresden, because his action was contrary to what Harry believed Morgan would do.

I saw it the other way.  He confirmed Harry's suspicion that it wasn't personal, that Morgan was simply trying to terrify Harry into staying good.  And that Morgan had come to respect Harry.

My problem with Morgan's death was that I expected Harry, after Morgan's compliment, to say something like "You just had to suck all the fun out of me getting to watch you die."  Leaving Morgan to die with a smile on his face.
Dresden didn't have a normal banter going on with Morgan. The funny exchanges were generally based on Harry being a lippy bugger and Morgan getting angry about it. It was obvious, that they had trouble communicating, because even though their relationship did improve as they learn more about each other, there is no true bonding. Mutual respect, collegiality,  but no bonding.

I miss Lash, but her death was well written and is actually a good character building plot device.

I think that Kim could have survived. She basically died because Harry was being a bit careless. Sure, she was an adult [ iirc ], but you don't let a rookie play around with some things even when they are adults, because despite being adults they are missing some understanding on the matter and may mess up.

If Kim was to be killed, we could have had her for at least 2-3 more books to have more impact. It would have been wonderful to see her interactions with Molly. Kim wasn't going to be a full blown wizard, because of power difference. But she could have been kind of an older sister character for Molly.

Particularly when you consider, the reason for this is she's the only one he couldn't hide his true self from. She basically fell in love with him in so much as that she sacrificed herself and performed the act of creation from it via Lash.

*Also part of why I consider the Reaper more likely to be Susan, her sacrifice should have been a similar act within her own soul.
The Reaper?

Edit:
I just realized: What if Kim Delaney is in Mirror Mirror... ? And Molly is not Fae ... Hmmmm.... I'm seeing some very nice stories coming from there :D
Storm Frond -> Fool Moon -> Grave -Peril -> Summer Night -> Death Masks -> Blood Rites -> Dead Beat -> Proven Guilty -> White Knight -> Small Favour -> Turn Coat -> Changes -> Ghost Story -> Cold Days -> Skin Game -> Peace Talks -> Mirror, Mirror -> fork and now we'll get all the books from the Mirror, Mirror universe :D BANZAI!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:11:31 AM by Firestarter »
... hear me roar ;)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »
For someone that had such small air time, the Reaper has gotten alot of attention and speculation. I think I have seen theories where she could be Susan, Lash, and Harry's mom.
Harry didn't let Kim play in the big leagues. He tried to warn her against it. She took it upon herself and it got her killed.
Though, the idea of Kim living and being a big sister to Molly does have some appeal.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Firestarter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2017, 10:25:19 AM »
I just hope that Jim won't go all Simon R. Green and turn Harry's mom into a raving psycho who faked her death only to return as a villain.

Although it would be kinda funny for Harry to go full John Taylor in one of the short stories:"I opened my Third Eye, my Private Eye..."

For someone that had such small air time, the Reaper has gotten alot of attention and speculation. I think I have seen theories where she could be Susan, Lash, and Harry's mom.
Harry didn't let Kim play in the big leagues. He tried to warn her against it. She took it upon herself and it got her killed.
Though, the idea of Kim living and being a big sister to Molly does have some appeal.

I agree. I mean, it's there as a contrast to Harry going full disclosure, so I kinda get the point. But again, Harry is a worrywart who meddles a lot. So I think it wouldn't be out of character for him to stalk Kim and try to help her out... openly or in secret, that's another story.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:37:59 AM by Firestarter »
... hear me roar ;)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2017, 10:37:29 AM »
Is that series good overall? I expect  the first 2 or 3 to be rough as the writer finds his voice. But, as a whole, does flow well?
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Firestarter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
Is that series good overall? I expect  the first 2 or 3 to be rough as the writer finds his voice. But, as a whole, does flow well?
Nightside is... well... depends on what you are looking for in a book series. I think it's fair to say, that the first half of the series is good, although John Taylor has some serious mommy issues [ a lot worse than Harry ]. But if you take it as a kind of parody set as a Funny fantasy noir series, it's readable. Still, the 2nd half of the series is kind of a stretch. Maybe if the order of the books was a bit different and some plot alterations, it would be better. But if you want over-the-top hardcore hardboiled characters doing crazy things mostly happening in a tiny pocket universe that is connected to London... you'll be fine :) I didn't check the British audiobooks, but Mark Vietor does a good job.

Quote from: Something from The Nightside
One

Money Comes Walking In

Private eyes come in all shapes and sizes, and none of them look like television stars. Some do insurance work, some hang around cheap hotels with camcorders hoping to get evidence for divorce cases, and damn few ever get to investigate complicated murder mysteries. Some chase things that don't exist, or shouldn't. Me, I find things. Sometimes I'd rather not find them, but that comes with the territory.

The flaking sign on the door in those days said Taylor Investigations. I'm Taylor. Tall, dark and not particularly handsome. I bear the scars of old cases proudly, and I never let down a client. Provided they've paid at least some cash up front.

Sample on audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Something-from-the-Nightside-Audiobook/B002VA9134

It mixes serious issues with some craziness. For example: A serious consideration to solve some kind of a problem with a backpack nuke. The only reason they don't do that it's missing a component, making the nuke not working :D

- oh and I probably should add, that I found Dresden files thanks to Nightside :) I was looking for something similar to Nightside.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:57:11 AM by Firestarter »
... hear me roar ;)

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »
I just hope that Jim won't go all Simon R. Green and turn Harry's mom into a raving psycho who faked her death only to return as a villain
Er.. actually... I wonder if when she died she didn't more or less imprint onto Nemesis due to exposure to Harry's birth/existence(sort of how the walker fearbinger took on the abstract formation of the fear cause by Molly)
The Reaper in GS who stands guard over father forthill. People say that's Lash's afterlife... I say it's Susan's and that's why she is covered in Ink, it represents who she choose to be in life when she became a member of the fellowship and used the tattoo's to hide/control the darkness within(which is interesting in that her silver eye's have been associated with Outside/vampires in general)
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Firestarter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2017, 11:23:38 AM »
Oh, Reapergirl... Hmm... interesting. I didn't think much about her. I liked that character. Just as I think of Mab, I find her very dateable :)

And since Jim admitted to being too lazy to create single-use-characters, I expect us meeting the charming entity again.
... hear me roar ;)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2017, 11:31:01 AM »
Oh, Reapergirl... Hmm... interesting. I didn't think much about her. I liked that character. Just as I think of Mab, I find her very dateable :)

And since Jim admitted to being too lazy to create single-use-characters, I expect us meeting the charming entity again.
You definitely like them dark and dangerous, firestarter. Thanks for the heads-up on Nightshade. I have been curious about it.

I hope we see the Reaper again, too.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Firestarter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »
You definitely like them dark and dangerous, firestarter. Thanks for the heads-up on Nightshade. I have been curious about it.

I hope we see the Reaper again, too.
I like personalities similar to mine :) doing your duty to the best of your ability. Whatever is necessary but sticking to the rules.

I also expect the Reapergirl and Harry meeting either in NeverNever or Harry doing another short out-of-body routine, since she's a divine entity and probably can't make herself perceivable like Mr. Sunshine can.
... hear me roar ;)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2017, 03:17:25 PM »
She has ... the Fomor servitor .... I forgot his name.

His name is / was Listen.

Could be an interesting plot for Molly to cross paths with him again (say, in Peace Talks), now having the power to destroy him, but being forbidden by Mab to take the first shot.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2017, 04:40:39 PM »
Er.. actually... I wonder if when she died she didn't more or less imprint onto Nemesis due to exposure to Harry's birth/existence(sort of how the walker fearbinger took on the abstract formation of the fear cause by Molly)
The Reaper in GS who stands guard over father forthill. People say that's Lash's afterlife... I say it's Susan's and that's why she is covered in Ink, it represents who she choose to be in life when she became a member of the fellowship and used the tattoo's to hide/control the darkness within(which is interesting in that her silver eye's have been associated with Outside/vampires in general)
the problem with Reapergirl being Susan is that the reapergirl was an angel and people don't become angels.  That's primarily why I believe that it could have been Lash.