Author Topic: BAT rumor thread  (Read 5991 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: BAT rumor thread
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »
Smart thinking. Add baby formula and batteries to your storage and you will be king.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 06:02:02 PM »
Smart thinking. Add baby formula and batteries to your storage and you will be king.

I've been printing out my Bitcoin wallet to use as currency After the End. All the analysts say it's the currency of the future, so...

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 06:31:41 PM »
I am completely lost on the idea of Bitcoin.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 08:57:17 PM »
I am completely lost on the idea of Bitcoin.

At this point, it's basically just a commodity that's also a medium of exchange. Digital gold with a highly volatile value (though admittedly on a strongly upward trend). Actually explaining how it works would honestly take me way too long, and I don't even understand it all. Wish I had gone in with my buddy and fronted the money for the mini server farm he wanted to start four years ago, though. He wound up mining a couple hundred of them when they were valued really low. He bought a house for cash earlier this year, and I'm stuck with a mortgage like a sucker.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 10:32:56 PM »
Then we're both suckers because I have a mortgage as well. It will be paid off when I am 65.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 03:20:09 AM »
At this point, it's basically just a commodity that's also a medium of exchange. Digital gold with a highly volatile value (though admittedly on a strongly upward trend). Actually explaining how it works would honestly take me way too long, and I don't even understand it all. Wish I had gone in with my buddy and fronted the money for the mini server farm he wanted to start four years ago, though. He wound up mining a couple hundred of them when they were valued really low. He bought a house for cash earlier this year, and I'm stuck with a mortgage like a sucker.
They just hit a new high yesterday, too.

I remember a story in the bbc news a few years ago about a guy who accidentally threw away an old hard drive that had his bitcoin on it. It was worh millions, if I remember correctly. He was in the trash dump every day, digging through the rotting garbage looking for it.

My husband wanted to invest in bitcoin some years back but never did. :(

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 07:23:45 PM »
They just hit a new high yesterday, too.

I remember a story in the bbc news a few years ago about a guy who accidentally threw away an old hard drive that had his bitcoin on it. It was worh millions, if I remember correctly. He was in the trash dump every day, digging through the rotting garbage looking for it.

My husband wanted to invest in bitcoin some years back but never did. :(

Had I any Bitcoins, I would've cashed out at 10K. Probably earlier.

You guys remember all of that talk about unregulated speculation driving prices up a few years ago, setting up an enormous bubble? That's literally what's happening with Bitcoin right now. People aren't buying into Bitcoin because they want it as a currency; they're doing it because they view it as a commodity. So long as people keep expecting it to grow, it will; the moment the first major holder dumps their wallet, there's going to be a good ol' fashioned market panic. I wouldn't buy in now if someone paid me.

It's not even really good as a currency; transactions take a long time (a full transfer takes over an hour). There are other cryptocurrencies that function much better, with less volatility; I think one of them will become the standard eventually. Ignore the fact that a thousand dollar investment in 2012 would have netted me upwards of five million today. I'm not bitter. Not at all. (I'm totally bitter and I want Bitcoin to fail as a result so I'm proven right).

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »
LOL ... I just thought it was digital currency.

If I'd known about it earlier, I'd still not have bought any.  I'm poor.  LOL
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 04:12:34 AM »
Had I any Bitcoins, I would've cashed out at 10K. Probably earlier.

You guys remember all of that talk about unregulated speculation driving prices up a few years ago, setting up an enormous bubble? That's literally what's happening with Bitcoin right now. People aren't buying into Bitcoin because they want it as a currency; they're doing it because they view it as a commodity. So long as people keep expecting it to grow, it will; the moment the first major holder dumps their wallet, there's going to be a good ol' fashioned market panic. I wouldn't buy in now if someone paid me.

It's not even really good as a currency; transactions take a long time (a full transfer takes over an hour). There are other cryptocurrencies that function much better, with less volatility; I think one of them will become the standard eventually. Ignore the fact that a thousand dollar investment in 2012 would have netted me upwards of five million today. I'm not bitter. Not at all. (I'm totally bitter and I want Bitcoin to fail as a result so I'm proven right).
Yeah, it’s a commodity. When my husband was talking about buying some, I got curious as to what people actually bought with it. The short answer was almost nothing. The longer answer was a lakehouse, a boat, a ski chalet, et cetera (once you sold off your investment when the price went up).

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 03:16:18 PM »
LOL ... I just thought it was digital currency.

If I'd known about it earlier, I'd still not have bought any.  I'm poor.  LOL

But to hear people talking about it, you could have made yourself rich overnight and retired to your own private island!

Yeah, it’s a commodity. When my husband was talking about buying some, I got curious as to what people actually bought with it. The short answer was almost nothing. The longer answer was a lakehouse, a boat, a ski chalet, et cetera (once you sold off your investment when the price went up).

Yeah, that's about right. There are a lot of attractions to cryptocurrencies in general. There's a firm, finite supply of them (I think there can ever only be somewhere around 20 million BitCoins unless they mess with the blockchain formulae), and transactions can be conducted relatively anonymously. Mostly, I think they're going to be used as hedges against inflation eventually, the way people convert to British pounds or Euro, or gold. Some hedge funds are actually trading BitCoin futures now, which is kind of brave new worldish.

It's also literally impossible to regulate, which is why China simply banned it. It circumvents the international banking system, too, so it's making a lot of people uncomfortable. Cryptos are here to stay for those reasons alone, but nobody is going to take them seriously, with mainstream use as a currency, unless and until the volatility subsides and they stabilize. Hell, Steam was accepting BitCoin up until last week, and they cited volatility as the reason. My first thought was that some people were parking BitCoin using Steam purchases, then refunding the purchases later after there was a price change.

It's also hard to have appropriately scaled prices when there's a thirty percent change overnight.

Anyway, cryptos are weird, people are using them solely to enrich themselves or to conduct shady business at the moment, and I don't have a fifty acre plot of woodland to myself with a tiny cabin and a fishing stream, dang it.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 12:29:40 AM »
But to hear people talking about it, you could have made yourself rich overnight and retired to your own private island!

Yeah, that's about right. There are a lot of attractions to cryptocurrencies in general. There's a firm, finite supply of them (I think there can ever only be somewhere around 20 million BitCoins unless they mess with the blockchain formulae), and transactions can be conducted relatively anonymously. Mostly, I think they're going to be used as hedges against inflation eventually, the way people convert to British pounds or Euro, or gold. Some hedge funds are actually trading BitCoin futures now, which is kind of brave new worldish.

It's also literally impossible to regulate, which is why China simply banned it. It circumvents the international banking system, too, so it's making a lot of people uncomfortable. Cryptos are here to stay for those reasons alone, but nobody is going to take them seriously, with mainstream use as a currency, unless and until the volatility subsides and they stabilize. Hell, Steam was accepting BitCoin up until last week, and they cited volatility as the reason. My first thought was that some people were parking BitCoin using Steam purchases, then refunding the purchases later after there was a price change.

It's also hard to have appropriately scaled prices when there's a thirty percent change overnight.

Anyway, cryptos are weird, people are using them solely to enrich themselves or to conduct shady business at the moment, and I don't have a fifty acre plot of woodland to myself with a tiny cabin and a fishing stream, dang it.
Just in the week that we've been saying how we should have invested, it's gone up so much. It was 10.000USD on 1 december and is 16.000USD now. If we'd have invested everything we had 2 weeks ago, we'd have made so much now.  ;D
https://charts.bitcoin.com/chart/price

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 10:42:43 AM »
Which supernatural group, other than the WC and Outsiders, will be most involved with the BAT?
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »
Just in the week that we've been saying how we should have invested, it's gone up so much. It was 10.000USD on 1 december and is 16.000USD now. If we'd have invested everything we had 2 weeks ago, we'd have made so much now.  ;D
https://charts.bitcoin.com/chart/price

Yep, sixty percent growth is nice. Personally, I prefer dividend stock, because I'm boring and like my annual 5% return from AT&T. Safe, predictable, but boring and without the explosive "HOLY CRAP POP THE CHAMPAGNE BABE, WE'RE GOING TO VEGAS" that I'd like.

Which supernatural group, other than the WC and Outsiders, will be most involved with the BAT?

I think that the Fomor are being set up to be important. There are a lot of Fomorian references in old Irish mythology, and Mab's got a lot of Irish and Celtic roots, so I'd assume they're going to be part of that particular apocalyptic scenario. Though the Fomor aren't exactly Fomorians, and are way more Lovecraftian, but I'm not sure that's a mark against their inclusion in the BAT.

And you can bet that there will be Ragnarok, so Monoc Securities will be hanging around. Funny nobody's mentioned Loki or Jormungandr yet in the series. 

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 11:30:35 PM »
Monoc will definitely play a big part and I am thinking Black Court has a part to play for the opposing team.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 06:19:47 PM »
Monoc will definitely play a big part and I am thinking Black Court has a part to play for the opposing team.

I'm not so sure.  While I believe they will be difficult if not impossible to work with, I think they recognize that if reality is destroyed, they go with it.

This is what I think Nick is thinking too.  I think they all just have their own way they think the end should be managed.  Further I don't think Nick thinks it'll be the end.  Remember, he believes that Apocalypse is a state of mind, not an actual end.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---