Poll

Who is the most evil character in the Dresdenverse?

Mab
1 (1.1%)
Nicodemus
18 (20%)
Ariana
2 (2.2%)
Red King
6 (6.7%)
Lord Raith
2 (2.2%)
Lara Raith
1 (1.1%)
Cowl
1 (1.1%)
Corpsetaker
2 (2.2%)
Maeve
1 (1.1%)
Mavra
5 (5.6%)
Bianca
0 (0%)
Polonius
1 (1.1%)
Peabody
4 (4.4%)
Marcone
0 (0%)
Kemmler
16 (17.8%)
Shagnasty
25 (27.8%)
Evil Bob
5 (5.6%)
Dracul
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Who is the most evil character in the Dresdenverse?  (Read 39282 times)

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the most evil character in the Dresdenverse?
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2017, 05:58:54 AM »
I took them lifting the Doom as indicating that he had obtained some degree of trust, at least to the extent that he counted as an official representative.

I do wonder whether the war would have started had Harry been lured into it before the Doom was lifted, or if the Council would have got away with saying "nope, he's not really one of us" the way they tried to in SK.

They probably wouldn't have tried it if Harry was likely to be repudiated, because he would be repudiated and they'd have to go through the whole charade again.  They LaFortier/Langtry faction tried to repudiate him, in Summer Knight, for that matter.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2017, 06:00:47 AM »
Yeah, that's kinda what happens when you let the fricking faeries write the goddamn rulebook.

What 'let'?  I don't know that Mab was offering any other options.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
Appeasement is never a solution; it is only a delay.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2017, 02:29:34 PM »

Viewing it as "appeasement" is most of the problem.

The Red Court and the White Council have maintained a stable peace for four or five centuries.  That's evidence enough that they can continue to do so.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2017, 04:24:19 PM »
It is not a stable peace if one side is plotting the best time to attack the other side. Humans are vamp food; noone who is hungry likes it when their food gets the ability to fight back.
Make Mine Butcher!

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2017, 11:34:10 PM »
It is not a stable peace if one side is plotting the best time to attack the other side.

It is if they have the slightest bit of sense about their assessment of the other side.

On one side, we have the Red Court knowing about the White Council for four or five hundred years, and taking all that time building up their forces to a point where even the most hardline of them think starting a war is a reasonable exercise.

On the other, we have Luccio in Changes noting that the Council has twice the combat strength it did before the disaster in DB.  Which took them about five years.

The Council can stay ahead of any rational Red Court threat indefinitely with a much lower growth rate than they demonstrate themselves capable of.  Therefore, stable.

Humans are vamp food; noone who is hungry likes it when their food gets the ability to fight back.

The most important datapoint we have here is Harry's conversation with Butters at the start of Dead Beat, which establishes that disappearances among humans in the DV are exactly the same as in reality.  Harry thinks that is supernatural predation because he is not in a position to make the comparison, but the DV is shown to have crime, and abusive families, and generally the same reasons real people disappear.  The message that conveys is that supernatural predation kills negligible numbers of people.  All supernatural predation, of which the Red Court are a subset.

Which doesn't mean they are friendly kittens.  But it does mean that for the White Council to spend time and enemy spent hunting them, compared to addressing much much bigger problems (the failure mode of not catching powerful warlocks early and firmly, for example, being on record as organising a world war), is gross negligence.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2017, 12:12:53 AM »
Maybe I over-simplify things; but, I believe the best way to end a war is to kill the enemy. It ain't nice but it would seem to be effective. Peace is not two guys sitting in a room, sharpening knifes and cleaning guns. And that is about where the RCV amd WC stood with each other.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2017, 01:22:13 AM »
Honestly, we don't know where the WC was in War prep.  We know they weren't prepared nearly enough.  It could have been a Rampire thing entirely.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2017, 01:40:57 AM »
Maybe I over-simplify things; but, I believe the best way to end a war is to kill the enemy. It ain't nice but it would seem to be effective.

Growing up next to a conflict that that sort of attitude had been prolonging for centuries has made me extremely unsympathetic to that as a position, and to fiction which presents it as an acceptable solution.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2017, 03:00:34 AM »
Growing up next to a conflict that that sort of attitude had been prolonging for centuries has made me extremely unsympathetic to that as a position, and to fiction which presents it as an acceptable solution.

Which is not unreasonable when talking about human conflict. But this is the Red Court. They literally can only exist, thrive, and propogate through murder and slavery.

That is why they need to be wiped out- the very nature of their existence is at war with Human kind.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2017, 03:25:55 AM »

To be fair, it's more complicated than that.  You can find instances in history where appeasement worked, when the appeased power had limited or tangential aims, and wasn't just looking for an excuse or planning to go all out anyway.

But no, there was no 'off' option on the Red War.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2017, 03:27:52 AM »
Viewing it as "appeasement" is most of the problem.

The Red Court and the White Council have maintained a stable peace for four or five centuries.  That's evidence enough that they can continue to do so.

Yes, they could do so, if both parties desired it.  But the Red Court intended war no matter what, they were simply looking for a way to pretend to be the aggrieved party.  Under those conditions, there was no peace option.  There was a 'delay hostilities' option, and if the Council was using that time to prepare, it might even be a defensible option.  But there's no evidence that the Peabody-influenced Senior Council would have even realized the difference.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2017, 03:30:57 AM »
Honestly, we don't know where the WC was in War prep.  We know they weren't prepared nearly enough.  It could have been a Rampire thing entirely.

We have a pretty good idea that they weren't preparing at all.  The whole thing appears to have caught most of the Senior Council by surprise, probably they didn't even realize the problem had been brewing up.  It's the old 'the water gets gradually warmer' thing, the frog doesn't realizes it's in trouble until it's too late to get out.

Even without Peabody, the Council leadership had gotten complacent, used to the status quo.  Add in Peabody's (if he was the only one) manipulations and you have a White Council caught totally off-guard, completely absorbed in its own business and internal power struggles.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2017, 04:49:26 AM »
Regardless how weak the council really was it was looking weak and it was acting weak and that attracts vultures. The red court was expanding and states can only expand by looking for victims, that is how states expanded in the past and supernatural states are old school.

That behaviour between states had become somewhat less prevalent lately because war has become more and more expensive in all respects and bigger states don’t let smaller states get away with it but it still happens if states can get away with it. It used to be quite normal. And the supernatural world is old style.

If the red court did not fight the white council in the past it simply meant the circumstances were different. They probably did not meet each other that often or the red court had other things to do. Their social structure was certainly one that was more geared for war than the council’s
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2017, 10:11:40 AM »
You have my sympathies for your experiences; but, I tend to be a less-than-subtle and often expeditious in my thinking.
Make Mine Butcher!