Author Topic: Random question about Nickelheads & Summer  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Random question about Nickelheads & Summer
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 03:40:29 PM »
I was talking to my son the other day about the BAT and the apocalypses.

He suggested that maybe all of the various apocalypses either have happened already, or will.  Meaning that perhaps Ragnarok has occurred and the Christians Apocalypse is next, or something like that.

It could relate to the changing of the guard at the Outer Gates.

I do find this quote from Gard to be interesting in relation to this:

"Einherjar. Give them a little sip of renewed mortality, and four thousand years of discipline go right out the window."

1. Viking mythology simply does not go back to 2,000 B.C. Earliest records of Odin (or Woden, at the time) are Germanic in origin, dating to Julius Caesar's Commentary on the Gallic War, circa 1 B.C., where he was actually referred to as Mercury, because Romans were not particularly interested in understanding their enemies' religion. We're talking Bronze Age, predating proto-Nordic migration (which is currently estimated somewhere around 1,000 BC, if I remember). Odin was much, much, much, much older than Viking/Gallic culture. This is around the time Stonehenge was completed (anywhere from 3,000-2,000 B.C.. The stones themselves have been dated to somewhere between 2,400-2,200 BC, but there are so many conflicting reports, it's stupid, and there is some evidence that activity around the site involved rituals and constructions that date to 8,000 B.C., but that's a discussion for somewhere else).
Anyway, this supports Kringle/Vaderrung's intimations that he's changed a lot over the years, and may be something of a Time Abyss. Towards the end of the Nordic Neolithic Period (around 3,000-2,000 BC, right in our time frame), there is a ton of evidence that suggests new tribes of proto-Indo-Europeans moved into the region, which changed the language, and promoted the so-called Battle Axe Culture. In short, precisely the kind of people who would like Odin (or proto-Odin) as a deity. I posit that, in the Dresden Files, these are the people who participated in the 1,200 BC Nordic migration to Gaul, and mixing the people changed their culture, mythology, and deities, to eventually give us Odin.

The above might've been a little in the weeds, but Nordic and Viking Culture was something of a study of mine once upon a time, and I found this relevant.

2. Why are they mortal now?
This suggests either they have already fulfilled their purpose, that Valhalla is gone, or that their purpose is about to be fulfilled. I lean towards the latter, because in all of the stories, the Einherjaren lose.

Offline isoycrazy

• Conversationalist
  • Seeking Harry's Insanity to help make me Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2017, 01:13:39 PM »
It could relate to the changing of the guard at the Outer Gates.

I do find this quote from Gard to be interesting in relation to this:

1. Viking mythology simply does not go back to 2,000 B.C. Earliest records of Odin (or Woden, at the time) are Germanic in origin, dating to Julius Caesar's Commentary on the Gallic War, circa 1 B.C., where he was actually referred to as Mercury, because Romans were not particularly interested in understanding their enemies' religion. We're talking Bronze Age, predating proto-Nordic migration (which is currently estimated somewhere around 1,000 BC, if I remember). Odin was much, much, much, much older than Viking/Gallic culture. This is around the time Stonehenge was completed (anywhere from 3,000-2,000 B.C.. The stones themselves have been dated to somewhere between 2,400-2,200 BC, but there are so many conflicting reports, it's stupid, and there is some evidence that activity around the site involved rituals and constructions that date to 8,000 B.C., but that's a discussion for somewhere else).
Anyway, this supports Kringle/Vaderrung's intimations that he's changed a lot over the years, and may be something of a Time Abyss. Towards the end of the Nordic Neolithic Period (around 3,000-2,000 BC, right in our time frame), there is a ton of evidence that suggests new tribes of proto-Indo-Europeans moved into the region, which changed the language, and promoted the so-called Battle Axe Culture. In short, precisely the kind of people who would like Odin (or proto-Odin) as a deity. I posit that, in the Dresden Files, these are the people who participated in the 1,200 BC Nordic migration to Gaul, and mixing the people changed their culture, mythology, and deities, to eventually give us Odin.

The above might've been a little in the weeds, but Nordic and Viking Culture was something of a study of mine once upon a time, and I found this relevant.

2. Why are they mortal now?
This suggests either they have already fulfilled their purpose, that Valhalla is gone, or that their purpose is about to be fulfilled. I lean towards the latter, because in all of the stories, the Einherjaren lose.

Perhaps They did lose, but then they chose to become more mortal, like Odin, giving up some power in exchange for access to Free Will once again, which seems to be one of the Ultimate Powers.  They can now become more than their fated paths predicted long ago.

As for the original comment about Mother Summer and the Nickles, if Mab was willing to deal in good faith with Anduriel, I don't see why Mother Summer wouldn't either.  It comes down to what Nick or Tessa paid for the plague, or do they owe a marker to Mother Summer?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 02:25:42 PM »
Perhaps They did lose, but then they chose to become more mortal, like Odin, giving up some power in exchange for access to Free Will once again, which seems to be one of the Ultimate Powers.  They can now become more than their fated paths predicted long ago.

Maybe; that would require Ragnarok having happened, and, in my opinion, implicates the changing of the Outer Gates guardianship from Norse pantheon to Winter as Ragnarok; not the End, but the Change.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 05:26:30 PM »
Maybe; that would require Ragnarok having happened, and, in my opinion, implicates the changing of the Outer Gates guardianship from Norse pantheon to Winter as Ragnarok; not the End, but the Change.

This is about what I think.  Maybe around Hastings?  And that is why Mab and Tatiana haven't talked.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 06:39:29 PM »
This is about what I think.  Maybe around Hastings?  And that is why Mab and Tatiana haven't talked.

I wrote a post a while ago about Hastings marking the end of the Viking Age (seriously, the Viking Age ends about two weeks before Hastings; Stamford Bridge was a deathblow to their influence), and how I think William the Conqueror was a Starborn. It was such a monumental historical shift, a new status quo that persists today (Anglo-Normans sit on the English Throne right now, and have since 1066), and Titania's "I haven't spoken to my sister since Hastings" is too significant when paired with Jim's statements about the previous Winter Lady and "the last time a Starborn was running around."

My belief is that the Winter Court was established before Hastings, and had accumulated enough power and influence to take over the Outer Gates from Odin after the Vikings' defeat at Stamford Bridge, which was Odin's last attempt to hang on to his power. I believe that the previous Winter Lady was killed at Hastings—Summer and Winter had taken opposing sides, in my hypothesis—and that is why they haven't spoken. Mab is too furious with Titania after the death of her daughter.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 07:04:15 PM »
My belief is that the Winter Court was established before Hastings, and had accumulated enough power and influence to take over the Outer Gates from Odin after the Vikings' defeat at Stamford Bridge, which was Odin's last attempt to hang on to his power. I believe that the previous Winter Lady was killed at Hastings—Summer and Winter had taken opposing sides, in my hypothesis—and that is why they haven't spoken. Mab is too furious with Titania after the death of her daughter.

That is what I think is happening now.  I think the vampires were trying to be the ones to take over from Winter.  The dinner that Maggie Sr, Ariana, and Lord Raith were at was the beginning of the planning.

When Eb wouldn't attend, the vampires decided that the Wizards had to be taken out so as to allow the Vamps to be able to create more troops for the defense of the Outer Gates.  Thus the plans for the War with the Wouncil.  But it was started a bit too early and they weren't able to put them away quickly enough.  The spell at Chichen Iza wasn't just to take out Harry and Eb, but all Wizards.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 08:10:32 PM »
That is what I think is happening now.  I think the vampires were trying to be the ones to take over from Winter.  The dinner that Maggie Sr, Ariana, and Lord Raith were at was the beginning of the planning.

When Eb wouldn't attend, the vampires decided that the Wizards had to be taken out so as to allow the Vamps to be able to create more troops for the defense of the Outer Gates.  Thus the plans for the War with the Wouncil.  But it was started a bit too early and they weren't able to put them away quickly enough.  The spell at Chichen Iza wasn't just to take out Harry and Eb, but all Wizards.

Sounds plausible to me.

Maybe that was why Maggie left; she realized that Papa Raith had become compromised by the Outsiders, and that the vampires might be  compromised. She decided that Humanity had to take up defense of the Gates, and wanted to make a starborn to get the ball rolling and upset the balance of power in the world—which, as it turns out, is working pretty dang well.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 11:44:21 PM »
I really hope we get some more info on the Hastings thing.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 04:16:41 PM »
I really hope we get some more info on the Hastings thing.

Maybe once the BAT is published, Jim will write some prequels.

Hastings, Kemmler, others

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 11:21:20 PM »
Add Maggie Sr and Eb, Merlin, LtW rowdy war days to the list.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »

The question is, what was Maggie Sr's plan there?

As in, I can see why the RCV and WCV would want to take over from Winter, but not what they'd do for Maggie. She wasn't called LeFay because of some long-term hatred of all things Faerie, so that isn't a reason - in fact, it seems a counter-indication of her being part of some plot to displace the Faerie Courts.

A far more logical story, to me, is that the RCV and WCV were plotting to displace the White Council from its pre-eminence (as a prelude to taking over the Outer Gates and the human world), and Maggie wanted it displaced too (as a prelude to her installing a new organisation on human Wizards). This worked together nicely until their secondary motives started to clash - Maggie did not want a bunch of vampires to rule the human world any more than she wanted that from the ossified White Council.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
Avernite,

I can see Maggie Sr as being a conduit from the Vampires to the Wouncil.  I'd bet that the Vamps knew who her father was and they were looking for a better representative from the Wouncil than a dark sheep like Maggie Sr.

I could totally see them not telling her that they wanted to take over Humanity.  That may have been why she finally broke free from Lord Raith.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 10:26:37 PM »
Avernite,

I can see Maggie Sr as being a conduit from the Vampires to the Wouncil.  I'd bet that the Vamps knew who her father was and they were looking for a better representative from the Wouncil than a dark sheep like Maggie Sr.

I could totally see them not telling her that they wanted to take over Humanity.  That may have been why she finally broke free from Lord Raith.
That is more or less in line with what I think, except I don't think Arianna and Lord Raith would involve their pawns in the beginning of their planning.

Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if this plot was long-lasting enough that the 'dinner' was nowhere near the beginning and yet it was still the same plot played out in Harry's war with the RCV.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 04:44:37 PM »
That is more or less in line with what I think, except I don't think Arianna and Lord Raith would involve their pawns in the beginning of their planning.

Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if this plot was long-lasting enough that the 'dinner' was nowhere near the beginning and yet it was still the same plot played out in Harry's war with the RCV.

I agree it was a longer plan, but I think they brought Maggie in early-ish.  I think she might have overheard something and played into them.  Letting them know about her father.