Author Topic: Re-read plans  (Read 6851 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re-read plans
« on: November 28, 2017, 09:05:45 PM »
What books are readers planning to reread when PT release date is announced in order to re-remember plot points? I usually do all the books and stories; though, some I give more attention to than others.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Re-read plans
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 09:34:42 PM »

I am rereading the series, but not all at once...  My last reread was Grave Peril which was fascinating considering what we know now...   

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:42:40 PM »
How so? Catch a new clue?
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »
How so? Catch a new clue?

Yes, or things rather some things seem to fall into place..  That was last year and I started and wrote three very long topics about it.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 11:19:34 AM »
What was the biggest puzzle piece that clicked into place, please.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 06:00:56 PM »
What was the biggest puzzle piece that clicked into place, please.

One was that  Leah may have already been infected before the party, just some of her actions speak to that.  I also think she was fighting for her sanity just as she was in Proven Guilty when Harry saw her under treatment in ice.  Another is what a dupe Bianca was, and that Mavra and others played her like a harp.  Last but not least how Susan willingly blinded herself to what was really going on.  She covered the supernatural but I doubt that she fully accepted the reality of that world and thus chose to ignore Harry's warnings of the dangers and made that fateful step of stealing the invite to the party.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:21:56 AM by Mira »

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 07:28:09 PM »
One was that  Leah may have already infected before the party, just some of her actions speak to that.

That's really interesting. Any particular actions? Her particular malice toward Dresden, that's later pretty much gone entirely after Small Favor, does seem pretty out of place. It's handwaved when she says she was trying to protect him, or that she was showing him tough love, or that she's a changeable Fae and can do what she wants (pretty much variably at later points in the series), but it still sticks out pretty far to me.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »
I personally always found it somewhat off that she was (I fully believe) 100% complicit with Bianca's entire scheme, from Sword to Gravestone, which I think should have conflicted with her Godmotherly duties. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 09:01:37 PM »
What books are readers planning to reread when PT release date is announced in order to re-remember plot points? I usually do all the books and stories; though, some I give more attention to than others.
Probably after case files comes out i'll do all the short stories found within, then start on a DF reread. It's actually been awhile now
I personally always found it somewhat off that she was (I fully believe) 100% complicit with Bianca's entire scheme, from Sword to Gravestone, which I think should have conflicted with her Godmotherly duties.
There's always been something screwy to Lea imo, but yea, I keep trying to reconcile that with her already having gone slightly offkilter working with Margret or something. But then again this could be just Harry and his stupid perspective not seeing just how Bloodthirst(heh) Lea actually is... plus now that I think about it, as someone who takes blood from those she deals with, I find it likely she was tainted vs Mab's decree about no blood dropped in her house.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 09:29:44 PM »
One was that  Leah may have already infected before the party, just some of her actions speak to that.  I also think she was fighting for her sanity just as she was in Proven Guilty when Harry saw her under treatment in ice.  Another is what a dupe Bianca was, and the Mavra and others played her like a harp.  Last but not least how Susan willingly blinded herself to what was really going on.  She covered the supernatural but I doubt that she fully accepted the reality of that world and thus chose to ignore Harry's warnings of the dangers and made that fateful step of stealing the invite to the party.

The Susan thing always bothered me. She has been working with Harry for a while now, has seen the supernatural up close and personal (Toad Demon and werewolves) and still chooses to ignore Harry's warnings about the vampires. That tainted her character for me. Her overall series arc was still emotional for me, but only from Harrys point of view not for her sake (if that makes sense).

As far as rereads go, once PT is announced I will start at the beginning and read to the end incorporating the short stories in the series so I get a timeline accurate lead up to PT.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 11:01:45 PM »
One was that  Leah may have already infected before the party, just some of her actions speak to that.  I also think she was fighting for her sanity just as she was in Proven Guilty when Harry saw her under treatment in ice.  Another is what a dupe Bianca was, and the Mavra and others played her like a harp.  Last but not least how Susan willingly blinded herself to what was really going on.  She covered the supernatural but I doubt that she fully accepted the reality of that world and thus chose to ignore Harry's warnings of the dangers and made that fateful step of stealing the invite to the party.
That is interesting. Maybe she got to inspect and examine the Athame some time prior to her receiving it as a public gift. That could explain her re-invested interest in Harry.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 11:07:38 PM »
The Susan thing always bothered me. She has been working with Harry for a while now, has seen the supernatural up close and personal (Toad Demon and werewolves) and still chooses to ignore Harry's warnings about the vampires. That tainted her character for me. Her overall series arc was still emotional for me, but only from Harrys point of view not for her sake (if that makes sense).

I agree. And I had more or less "reconciled" with her by the time Changes was released. And then I never could forget her for keeping Maggie a secret from Harry.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 02:32:04 AM »
That's really interesting. Any particular actions? Her particular malice toward Dresden, that's later pretty much gone entirely after Small Favor, does seem pretty out of place. It's handwaved when she says she was trying to protect him, or that she was showing him tough love, or that she's a changeable Fae and can do what she wants (pretty much variably at later points in the series), but it still sticks out pretty far to me.

Which makes me think that she was trying all along to resist the infection..  On one hand she was trying to undermine Mab, that is why she wanted the Knife to begin with, power..  At the same time she did her best to save Harry, perhaps her promise to Margaret in this case was stronger than the infection... But remember in Proven Guilty one minute she was warning Harry that she must not be let go, then the next wanting him to turn her lose. 

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 08:13:21 PM »
I usually have the series on a loop, but recently took a break and read the WoT series.

I restarted it this weekend and am on Fool Moon now.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 10:02:34 PM »
I usually can do a book a week. So, I plan to start about 4 months prior to release date.
Make Mine Butcher!