Author Topic: Unbalanced scales . . .  (Read 5116 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Unbalanced scales . . .
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 07:20:30 PM »
I don't know if Hades would be compelled to fulfill a debt in the same way the Fae are since it is intrinsic to their nature. However, the "old world" seems to be built on courtesy, host rights, debts/obligations. Although Hades may not be compelled by nature, it would be very bad form to not honor a debt. I see the rest of society turning on him if that were to happen.

Sure, decorum may compel him. Even Kincaid was pretty gung-ho about honoring Harry's debt, and he's not a particularly upright citizen.

But Fae seem to gain power in concert with obligation; the whole "power has purpose" speech from Mother Summer indicates, to me, that their entire hierarchy is determined by power, which is proportional to obligation. Lea claims similarly that her status upgrade after the receipt of the athame (treacherous though it was) increased her obligation in turn to Mab.

Maybe it's like DC, which is held together with backroom deals and blackmail (THIS IS A JOKE. DO NOT BE OFFENDED BY MY REMARK, WHICH IS AN ATTEMPT AT HUMOR, AND MAY IN FACT BE ONLY SLIGHTLY MORE HUMOROUS THAN THIS DISCLAIMER).

I'm just wondering if someone could buy and sell intangible debts from other entities. Imagine what a few Wall Street types could do to organize these things into the supernatural equivalent of financial instruments.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 01:01:29 AM »
Or the occasional "deal with the devil."
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
There already is a "broker" for the transfer of debt ....

The Order
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 07:49:27 PM »
There already is a "broker" for the transfer of debt ....

The Order

Never seen that movie. Any good?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »
I wouldn't say it's an "A" list movie, but I enjoyed it.

It's kind of like End of Days.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline isoycrazy

• Conversationalist
  • Seeking Harry's Insanity to help make me Sane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 03:21:37 PM »
Recall that Harry was owed a debt by the Summer Court in SmFv and if Gruff killed him, Harry implies the debt won't ever be paid back, creating a black mark on the court.

So if someone with no living relatives died, I think it would be a mark Mab has to endure.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 07:25:03 PM »
Recall that Harry was owed a debt by the Summer Court in SmFv and if Gruff killed him, Harry implies the debt won't ever be paid back, creating a black mark on the court.

So if someone with no living relatives died, I think it would be a mark Mab has to endure.

I wonder if, in this type of situation, doing something for someone associated with the person might not alleviate some of the burden of an unpaid debt.

After all, Harry transferred his debt to Charity, and Summer was able to use that to help get Molly back in PG.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »
I wonder if, in this type of situation, doing something for someone associated with the person might not alleviate some of the burden of an unpaid debt.

After all, Harry transferred his debt to Charity, and Summer was able to use that to help get Molly back in PG.

True, but that required an action on Harry's part. Harry specifically transferred the debt via oral agreement. If he's dead, can that debt ever be repaid? Perhaps if Harry died and became a true ghost (discounting Ghost Story), Summer may have rendered service to him, clearing his debt?

It's odd, because assets usually default to the next of kin, but not all debt is passed on—outstanding accounts are settled with the deceased assets, if they have any, and the remainder is divided among the estate. If someone dies upside on their mortgage, for instance, and doesn't have enough assets to cover the debt, the estate is not responsible for paying the rest (though the bank gets the house).

Maybe Harry should consider supernatural life insurance now that he has Maggie to worry about.

By the way, I just realized that Harry's apartment burning down was foreshadowed since Book Five, when he wrote down (and told us) about his fairy cleaning squad. It didn't matter anymore, because his house had already been arson-ed when he wrote it (sad face emoticon). I love in-universe justifications for things like that. Maybe his new pad can contract a fresh Fresh Squadron, but pay them with pizza. Or, I dunno, celery.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 06:19:09 PM »
I was thinking in the case where there is no next of kin.  Kind of like if someone dies and all their assets go to the Church, because they have no one else. Maybe there's a Fae equivalent.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 06:40:37 PM »
I was thinking in the case where there is no next of kin.  Kind of like if someone dies and all their assets go to the Church, because they have no one else. Maybe there's a Fae equivalent.
The church? Do you live in a theocracy? :)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]