Author Topic: Various crystals  (Read 4510 times)

Offline Flynnarrel

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Various crystals
« on: November 21, 2017, 01:52:14 AM »
I’m looking to run a roleplaying game set in the Cinderspire world and I’ve been taking notes from the book.

They talk about different kinds of crystals and what they do.

It clearly differentiates power crystals (who do things like generate a shroud, power lift crystals, power etheric web) but it doesn’t seem like you need a power crystal for lumen crystals or weapon crystals (since they are gauntlet mounted).

Is this accurate? How do you think the cannon crystals are activated? And can lumen crystals be turned on and off?

Thanks for any assistance.

Offline nedserD C B yrraH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Various crystals
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »
The crystals seem to differentiate based on function. I never noticed any mention of needing a power crystal to utilize a weapon crystal.  However since they can be drained completely, as demonstrated by Ferrus, I assume they store energy and release it. So perhaps they need to be recharged, similar to reloading a modern firearm, but there is no mention of a power crystal along with a weapons crystal in a gauntlet setting. We know that contact with a lumen or weapon crystal is required but there is no mention of needing a power crystal.

I'm not a Fanboy, I just Squee a lot.

DV Geek Code v1.2 YR9 FR1 BK++ RP JB++ TH ++ WG+ CL+ SW+(B,T,JM) BC+ MC +++(--) SH (Mu++Mo++El+)

Your total Dresden Files purity rating is 53.1%

All scores:
Supernatural Power:75.7%
Social Skills:45.5%
Armed Combat:6.1%
Unarmed Combat:41.8

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Various crystals
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 05:40:16 AM »
They do say that the new lift crystal will let them use power other places, firing until the barrels melted (p. 322) - maybe gauntlets have small limited capacity crystals. And since the ship crystals do not always have to emit power - why would the lumens?