Author Topic: The mysteries of Maggie, Sr.  (Read 15010 times)

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The mysteries of Maggie, Sr.
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 12:14:43 AM »
Maggie was said to be an expert in the ways and so called grey magics. She preserved her knowledge of the ways in her gem for Harry, so did she preserve her knowledge of grey magics? It would be a way to stick it to the council, to ensure it was preserved or even spread.
k moinuddin

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 12:22:54 AM »
Possibly, it could be in the gemstone waiting for a moment.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 02:14:42 AM »
McCoy could have a copy, a grimmoire detailing the grey magics might be very useful for the Blackstaff.
k moinuddin

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 02:23:02 AM »
I hate to speak ill of the dead; but, what if Maggie needed Thomas to be a vampire as part of long-term plans?

I think he was always intended to be there as backup and support for Harry, and I'm not sure Maggie making an effort to provide that is necessarily speaking ill of the dead.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 09:21:56 AM »
It may be if Maggie saw the two options available to Thomas, her son, and chose her needs for him over the chance for him to have a happy, normal life.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 11:51:07 AM »
It may be if Maggie saw the two options available to Thomas, her son, and chose her needs for him over the chance for him to have a happy, normal life.

Thing is, Thomas was screwed from the get go...   His life would never be "normal" whether she took him with her or not. 
Lord Raith would forever be out to kill him along with her for starters, that doesn't make for a normal life.  He still would have to deal with the demon inside of him.   He may never have met Justine..

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 05:09:17 PM »
Bottom line is that we don't know the circumstances of her leaving Raith.  For all we know she wasn't able to get away whenever she had Thomas.  He could have been in Milan and Maggie was in Ontario.  That's when she had her chance and so she took it.

I personally don't necessarily believe that she knew how a Wampire demon get's control.  She may have been taught by her anti-vampire father that they are born that way.  Nothing she could do would prevent it.

As to her leaving Thomas (in general), I'm convinced that she learned about Papa Raith's truck with Outsiders and tried to learn all she could about it.  That's how she found out about the Starborn and possibly how to cause one to be created.  This being more important that protecting a baby vampire could be how she was able to leave.  Also, don't forget that she is pretty old.  She COULD have been just jaded enough to have been able to leave her kid.  I'm not sure I buy it, but it is possible. 
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 07:11:23 PM »
I had this idea that the curse placed on the white King would somehow free or save Thomas. Not sure on the details but just a feeling.
k moinuddin

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 07:41:16 PM »
I personally don't necessarily believe that she knew how a Wampire demon get's control.  She may have been taught by her anti-vampire father that they are born that way.  Nothing she could do would prevent it.

Note, again, that White Court "demons" are not yet actually proven to be an independent thing.  (Harry seeing something he parses as Thomas' demon in BR is a datum that has doubt cast on it by the WoJ about how what one sees in a soulgaze is subjective; it's not that far away from how he sees Molly's friend's addiction as if it were an independent monster, under the Sight, in PHG.)

As to her leaving Thomas (in general), I'm convinced that she learned about Papa Raith's truck with Outsiders and tried to learn all she could about it.  That's how she found out about the Starborn and possibly how to cause one to be created.  This being more important that protecting a baby vampire could be how she was able to leave.  Also, don't forget that she is pretty old.  She COULD have been just jaded enough to have been able to leave her kid.  I'm not sure I buy it, but it is possible.

Or she could, unlike Harry, be just Lawful enough to figure "a chance to save the entire world, implicitly including my son, from Outsiders" as a greater good than "taking my son away from the White Court" and have acted accordingly.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 08:23:59 PM »
Note, again, that White Court "demons" are not yet actually proven to be an independent thing.  (Harry seeing something he parses as Thomas' demon in BR is a datum that has doubt cast on it by the WoJ about how what one sees in a soulgaze is subjective; it's not that far away from how he sees Molly's friend's addiction as if it were an independent monster, under the Sight, in PHG.)
It is more than that because all the white court vampires seem to think about it as a seperate entity. That can be something they do themselves to get more control over it but it is exactly the way river shoulders and Harry talk about it in the short story as well.

Say the white court were originally highly specialized warlocks then creating a distance between them and their power serves as some form of isolation to prevent madness just like a mantle creates some distance between the bearer and the power.

But the way magic works that isolation can cause the power to become a seperate entity. Magic makes these things real.

I think trying to decide if the hunger is independent or not is misleading, is trying to draw a hard line where there is not. It might even be somewhat different from vampire to vampire.

Seperate demon or part of the vampires spirit are both ways to describe the situation that are both usefull to describe different behaviours of the same vampire but the truth is both.
Or she could, unlike Harry, be just Lawful enough to figure "a chance to save the entire world, implicitly including my son, from Outsiders" as a greater good than "taking my son away from the White Court" and have acted accordingly.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 09:19:15 PM »
It is more than that because all the white court vampires seem to think about it as a seperate entity.

I am trying to recall whether we have any direct confirmation from a non-Raith White Court vampire here, as I can quite buy Lord Raith making his family less threatening to him by teaching them a way of looking at things that has them fighting against themselves.

Thematically, that would fit in the same area as Harry learning to work with Lash rather than fight against her. (Which I am fairly sure is where he is going with the Winter Knight mantle ultimately, too.)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 09:00:21 AM »
I am trying to recall whether we have any direct confirmation from a non-Raith White Court vampire here, as I can quite buy Lord Raith making his family less threatening to him by teaching them a way of looking at things that has them fighting against themselves.

Thematically, that would fit in the same area as Harry learning to work with Lash rather than fight against her. (Which I am fairly sure is where he is going with the Winter Knight mantle ultimately, too.)
In the dresdenverse a wizard with a split personality can really split off a personality and can absorb, subject, negotiate with or be consumed by that personality the same way as he can with an invading spirit. At some point the distinction is mere of historical interest.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 09:55:50 AM »
Is this a Harry and subconscious Harry thing?
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2017, 10:09:22 AM »
Is this a Harry and subconscious Harry thing?
No it is a vampire and hunger thing. A Harry and Lash thing. Or maybe a Harry and Bonnie thing or perhaps.....

Harry gave his subconscious shape but it is still fully part of the original Harry.  Place it somewhere on the continuum on the far left.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2017, 12:57:40 AM »
What are some of the most Maggie Sr, relevant passages. There was altered soulgaze in BR. There was McCoy talking a fight at dinner in Changes. Rashid mentioned her once or twice. Luccio had a couple of comments. Anything I am missing?
Make Mine Butcher!