Author Topic: The mysteries of Maggie, Sr.  (Read 15198 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: The mysteries of Maggie, Sr.
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2017, 06:35:40 AM »
What are some of the most Maggie Sr, relevant passages. There was altered soulgaze in BR. There was McCoy talking a fight at dinner in Changes. Rashid mentioned her once or twice. Luccio had a couple of comments. Anything I am missing?
Changes and the pentacle.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline apgrey

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »
  The main thing we know is who her likely associates were.  It is an interesting list.
Nicodemus - says he respected her.
Justin DuMorne - mentioned as an associate by Ebenezar.
Goodman Grey - calls her a piece of work.
Leanansidhe - mentioned throughout the series.
Binder - This one is speculation on my part.  Binder says some people talk about how they feel pity for vampires, Binder thinks they are fools.
Ebenezar - says the Wardens were under orders to arrest, and he had orders about her as well.  Why send the Blackstaff after a lone wizard?
Thomas Raith - calls her "one hell of a dangerous witch".
Chauncy - says she was headed for Hell, "but we lost her".

The above list suggests Margaret LeFae was involved in very shady business.  She had also broken at least some of the Laws of Magic.

APG

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2017, 01:10:35 AM »
Thanks for add-ons, apgrey.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2017, 06:21:29 PM »
Note, again, that White Court "demons" are not yet actually proven to be an independent thing.  (Harry seeing something he parses as Thomas' demon in BR is a datum that has doubt cast on it by the WoJ about how what one sees in a soulgaze is subjective; it's not that far away from how he sees Molly's friend's addiction as if it were an independent monster, under the Sight, in PHG.)

I'm quite sure they are not a separate thing.  I think they are a parasite.  That's why they can be "purged" from a budding Wampire by true love.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2017, 06:37:17 PM »
I'm quite sure they are not a separate thing.  I think they are a parasite.  That's why they can be "purged" from a budding Wampire by true love.

Makes me wonder what guides their feeding habits. It makes sense that true love combats lust, but what about pain and fear?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
Makes me wonder what guides their feeding habits. It makes sense that true love combats lust, but what about pain and fear?

I just attribute it to them eating emotion.  Some may be attracted to other emotions as well, but Lust, Fear are really strong ones.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2017, 07:05:08 PM »
Puppies, kittens, and happy thoughts.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2017, 07:17:03 PM »
Dessert

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2017, 07:37:46 PM »
I am diabetic, so dessert goes under pain category for me.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »
My son has diabetes and he eats everything in reach, I just have to run after him with the insuilin.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2017, 07:46:50 PM »
I am not on insulin yet. A year ago, when diagnosed, my A1C was 8.0+; now I got it down to 6.1 or 6.2.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2017, 07:47:21 PM »

I wonder what a diabetic Wampire would be like.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2017, 07:49:11 PM »
Probably not as selective as a diabetic RCV.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2017, 04:11:15 AM »
    Harry's mother is a very interesting character for me.

Myself as well.

In fact, she's probably the most important character who isn't actually an active character, if you see what I mean.

I think that alot of Harry's problems are tied to her actions. She was anti-authority and anti-establishment figure that catalyzed many plot ponts that are coming to fruition during Harry's life. Hence, the apology during the magically-altered soulgaze between Harry and Thomas. I would like to list some points and mysteries that surround her.
1. For someone who was closing in on 200 years of age; she maintained a less than middle-age look and was able to bear children well past her age. This has been explained as extended time spent in Never-Never. Rashid remarked her as a fellow traveler of the Ways. She spent enough time to discover and anticipate the movements of the Ways. But, is there more to her youthful appearance?

Unknown.  JB has said things that imply it both ways at different times.

4. How powerful was Maggie? We know that her father, Eb, is on the top tier in his magic use. Her son, Harry, is well ahead of his age for ability to channel large amounts of magic even if he lacks fine control. She crafted elaborate and delicate spells. Was she closer to Molly with the sensitivity or closer to Harry with raw power? Could she have made Senior Council with her range and ability?
Are there any great mysteries of Maggie Sr. that others have pondered?

It's clear that Margaret (I prefer that spelling to easily distinguish her from Maggie Jr.) was tremendously skilled.  Given that she is Harry's mother and Eb's daughter, I consider it likely (to the point of assuming it's true until I see evidence to the contrary) that she was loaded with raw strength, too. 

We know about the skill from some of the stuff she did (creating a mini-shadow in her sons' minds, creating the gem-memory bank, the curse on Lord Raith (death curses by their nature have to be woven quickly, she wove a doozy).

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2017, 04:16:21 AM »
Note, again, that White Court "demons" are not yet actually proven to be an independent thing.  (Harry seeing something he parses as Thomas' demon in BR is a datum that has doubt cast on it by the WoJ about how what one sees in a soulgaze is subjective; it's not that far away from how he sees Molly's friend's addiction as if it were an independent monster, under the Sight, in PHG.)

At one point, JB was asked if Mab could remove the demon-thing from Thomas.  As I recall, he said yes, she could rip Thomas' demon right out of him, the problem would be that it leave Thomas in a ghastly state if she did it.  That implies a certain separateness, at the least.

Also, pretty much everybody who soulgazes a White Vampire sees the things.  Carlos made a reference to it 'that silvery thing' after soulgazing Lara, for ex. 

I don't think there's any question that there's something in there initially separate from the human, though they made become one thing after the first feeding.

Or she could, unlike Harry, be just Lawful enough to figure "a chance to save the entire world, implicitly including my son, from Outsiders" as a greater good than "taking my son away from the White Court" and have acted accordingly.

Yeah, but that's so rare that it's never the way to bet.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 04:48:47 AM by LordDresden2 »