Author Topic: Other Future Dresden works rumor thread  (Read 15773 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Other Future Dresden works rumor thread
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:20:29 AM »
 I am sure that there will be more short stories, the Maggie at school stuff, and comic books. Maybe, hopefully, another RPG update someday. So, a place holder.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Other Future Dresden works rumor thread
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 01:58:36 PM »
I'm personally hoping for a video game adaptation that doesn't suck. Maybe something like Baldur's Gate, but in Chicago and with preset characters.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 03:31:48 PM »
I woulds like to see a pre-BAT update to rpg.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 04:53:22 AM »
Are you guys this into other authors? There are some people here who seem to spend a huge amount of time thinking about this series. I think there are even people who write fan fiction for the series? And, one person who writes stories with this series as a template?

Is it just Butcher that you’re so into, or are there other authors on whose works you spend a lot of time?

What’s the appeal of this series that induces the deep interest?

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 10:38:23 AM »
   This forum is small community of various individuals that share at least one bit of commonality, an appreciation for Jim Butcher's work. Though, we do so in different ways. I, myself, fixate on the unsolved mysteries of the series; others have their own interests. We share what we think and what we like while being receptive to what others think and like about the works.
   I cannot speak for others; but, I often develop strong attachments to other fictional works. I love early Stephen King, I have read a large number of Dragonlance books, and I have been a comic book fan for over 30 years. Do I visit forums related to these works? Nope. Why? Because I do not get the same communal feeling that I get here. In the series, the first time that Harry walked into Mac's bar, he felt as if he had rediscovered an old home. My feelings are similar to that feeling.
   If you don't get "the appeal of this series that induces the great interest;" then why visit the forums?   I am here because I get the appeal. I think that many other members do as well. But, hey, the ratio of male members to female members is 29 to 1 or so the statistic center states. So, "maybe it is a guy thing?" Though, the person with the most posts here is female. So, I could be mistaken. I often am mistaken; but, I still keep trying to make sense of things. Did this help?
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 03:23:07 PM »
   This forum is small community of various individuals that share at least one bit of commonality, an appreciation for Jim Butcher's work. Though, we do so in different ways. I, myself, fixate on the unsolved mysteries of the series; others have their own interests. We share what we think and what we like while being receptive to what others think and like about the works.
   I cannot speak for others; but, I often develop strong attachments to other fictional works. I love early Stephen King, I have read a large number of Dragonlance books, and I have been a comic book fan for over 30 years. Do I visit forums related to these works? Nope. Why? Because I do not get the same communal feeling that I get here. In the series, the first time that Harry walked into Mac's bar, he felt as if he had rediscovered an old home. My feelings are similar to that feeling.
   If you don't get "the appeal of this series that induces the great interest;" then why visit the forums?   I am here because I get the appeal. I think that many other members do as well. But, hey, the ratio of male members to female members is 29 to 1 or so the statistic center states. So, "maybe it is a guy thing?" Though, the person with the most posts here is female. So, I could be mistaken. I often am mistaken; but, I still keep trying to make sense of things. Did this help?
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I was just curious if this was a main focus for the people really into it or if they were likewise into a lot of different stuff.

I post here mainly when I have insomnia. you might notice my posts are mainly in the middle of the night (EU time). My husband snores LOUDLY and incessantly at various times and I cannot sleep well then. So, I read stuff on the iPad in bed. Probably 99% of my posts are from an iPad while in bed wishing I could sleep, so be impressed with my iPad typing skills! :P

I 'nerd' a few different things with my free time. I loved the new Twin Peaks season (raidem, if you like overlapping timelines, alternate realities converging, and bizarre causal loops, you will love this series and the film, Fire Walk With Me). I also currently enjoy the new Star Trek serial. I listen to and read various stuff about philosophy and neuroscience these days. I am planning my Jul (like christmas, but more pagan) dinner plans for the family as I cook a huge dinner each year and reading a lot of recipes always trying to get new ideas. Also, I listen to a lot of music of the dark electro, cold wave types.

So, posting here is sort of a 3.00am enterprise for me. :D I haven't read the books in a couple of years now. I am not interested in Butcher's comic books, children's serials or the new serial (read the first one and the writing was so bad that I thought it was meant to be his book for children). Hopefully, I'll enjoy the new book in the DF serial when it arrives.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 03:54:45 PM »
For me, I love long series with multi-book character arcs and plots. Thats partly why I like the DF and go back again and again to read more. I also like Terry Brooks Sword of Truth series for instance. I come here because I like to discuss theories and find the nuggets that I've missed. I continue to participate here because the series is still ongoing and there are new works to discuss and since there is no end yet all theories/WAGs are (mostly) valid. That is why I do not visit the fan boards of other book series I like. You can find all the nuggets you missed, but the theories and discussion is more limited because the author has provided the end of the series.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 09:18:55 PM »
Did we ever have a confirm whether the WoJ about doing a book where Harry was in prison and one where he wakes up in a mental institution in a setting where his magic is treated as having always been a delusion were real plans or Jim joking around ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 10:05:55 PM »
This forum is small community of various individuals that share at least one bit of commonality, an appreciation for Jim Butcher's work. Though, we do so in different ways. I, myself, fixate on the unsolved mysteries of the series; others have their own interests.

That's the fun part for me. Though I hope Jim will end up attaching more story significance to resolving at least most of the running mysteries than some other series have. (Like the 'Who killed Asmodean?' one in Wheel of Time that ran for like eight books and ended up mattering so little it got a throwaway dialogue line and an appendix mention)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 11:44:27 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I was just curious if this was a main focus for the people really into it or if they were likewise into a lot of different stuff.

I post here mainly when I have insomnia. you might notice my posts are mainly in the middle of the night (EU time). My husband snores LOUDLY and incessantly at various times and I cannot sleep well then. So, I read stuff on the iPad in bed. Probably 99% of my posts are from an iPad while in bed wishing I could sleep, so be impressed with my iPad typing skills! :P

I 'nerd' a few different things with my free time. I loved the new Twin Peaks season (raidem, if you like overlapping timelines, alternate realities converging, and bizarre causal loops, you will love this series and the film, Fire Walk With Me). I also currently enjoy the new Star Trek serial. I listen to and read various stuff about philosophy and neuroscience these days. I am planning my Jul (like christmas, but more pagan) dinner plans for the family as I cook a huge dinner each year and reading a lot of recipes always trying to get new ideas. Also, I listen to a lot of music of the dark electro, cold wave types.

So, posting here is sort of a 3.00am enterprise for me. :D I haven't read the books in a couple of years now. I am not interested in Butcher's comic books, children's serials or the new serial (read the first one and the writing was so bad that I thought it was meant to be his book for children). Hopefully, I'll enjoy the new book in the DF serial when it arrives.
They have philosophy and pop culture books that are often entertaining.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 12:05:30 AM »
I remember a few years back, around the time the last book came out, there was talk of someone picking up the recently re-acquired film rights.  And there was mention of a producer involved in a movie being released around the time, either Maleficent or XM:DoFP, being interested.

I'm assuming at this point that nothing developed.  But I'll confess to a small kernel of hope that there's something on the horizon.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 12:12:43 AM »
Maybe, someday there will be.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 03:00:47 AM »
I remember a few years back, around the time the last book came out, there was talk of someone picking up the recently re-acquired film rights.  And there was mention of a producer involved in a movie being released around the time, either Maleficent or XM:DoFP, being interested.

I'm assuming at this point that nothing developed.  But I'll confess to a small kernel of hope that there's something on the horizon.
The only film I ever saw that was better than the book was Lord of the Flies from the 1950s (I think there was a poorly done more recent version, too).

The worst book to film adaption I’ve ever seen was Catch 22. The film makers really missed the whole point of the book and made a stupid comedy.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 09:55:56 AM »
I can agree that a movie rarely outshines the book it is bases on. Though, sometimes a movie outdoes a short story. Two that come to mind are Shawshank Redemption and Breakfast at Tiffany's.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »
I would love to see Harry on the big screen, but I do not think it would be to the book standard. A lot of people point to the Harry Potter series as an example of a book to movie adaptation that was done well (for the most part). However, that was a unique example as the main actors were able to age with the movies. A direct book to screen adaptation would be hard due to the large number of books. More likely than not, if they wanted to adapt the current storyline, they would cut books out entirely or combine books together in one film. Alternatively, they could create brand new stories for Dresden and set it in an "alternate universe" to the main stories (my preferred method). I would also love to see an animated Dresden ala The Last Airbender.