Author Topic: Rashid, demonreach, what the heck?  (Read 2759 times)

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Rashid, demonreach, what the heck?
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »
When Rashid learns Harry is bound to Demonreach in Turn Coat he then offers Harry two pieces of advice 1. don't touch the power from the well, and 2. someone must die as the guilty party.  Why the heck doesn't he say, "Oh, and point 3, if you tell demonreach to capture just about anyone or anything on this island, it will--- easily.  Wouldn't that have lead to the capture at the very least the naagloshii and possibly a black council member?

I mean, Rashid knows a lot about the island, he knows Harry is going to have to learn more about it eventually.  Why not when it might have been useful?  I mean, if Harry had had just that one piece of knowledge that entire book would have ended very differently...

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Rashid, demonreach, what the heck?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:41:13 PM »
When Rashid learns Harry is bound to Demonreach in Turn Coat he then offers Harry two pieces of advice 1. don't touch the power from the well, and 2. someone must die as the guilty party.  Why the heck doesn't he say, "Oh, and point 3, if you tell demonreach to capture just about anyone or anything on this island, it will--- easily.  Wouldn't that have lead to the capture at the very least the naagloshii and possibly a black council member?

I mean, Rashid knows a lot about the island, he knows Harry is going to have to learn more about it eventually.  Why not when it might have been useful?  I mean, if Harry had had just that one piece of knowledge that entire book would have ended very differently...

Because time travel.

But seriously, I don't think there's a good answer in the text. Ebenezer's journal says something to the effect of "The boy will have to figure this out on his own," which isn't precisely a good idea. Eb should've sat Harry down and told him that there were a ton of responsibilities he'd inadvertently taken on. It would've been a very mentor-ish thing to do.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 07:44:03 PM »

Because Rashid didn't know about the Naagloshii, capturing the mortals would have been an abuse of the island's power, and it might have been dangerous for Harry to learn too much too quickly about the island, especially when he had other more immediate concerns on which to focus.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »
Also I don't think that Demonreach was properly "awake" yet. It probably didn't have all it's functions up and running until around it's talk with Harry in CD.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 06:42:36 PM »
Also I don't think that Demonreach was properly "awake" yet. It probably didn't have all it's functions up and running until around it's talk with Harry in CD.

I like this.

But as to why Rashid didn't just tell Harry ... come on ... secrets are like Crack for Wizards.  You can't just give that kind of thing up.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 07:03:36 PM »
Also...

Lest we forget...

Rashid had literally just suspected Harry of being a bad guy. 

Why would you tell a potential bad guy that they have a nuke at hand?  Especially after you just challenged them?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »

I mean, Rashid knows a lot about the island, he knows Harry is going to have to learn more about it eventually.  Why not when it might have been useful? I mean, if Harry had had just that one piece of knowledge that entire book would have ended very differently...
Exactly. I'd not underestimate just how leary GK is of accidently effecting things he shouldn't. rather than guess at the why, i'd like to point out when he does choose to interfere he does so, as he directly indicates in SK, with the mindset of those who grace the KotC, enabling the choices that they wish to make or nudging them along the correct path rather than outright interference. Granted 'enabling the trial to come to it's conclusion' is hiding wildly behind a legal technicality. He seems more than willing to do so though, and it becomes him well.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:33:11 PM by jonas »
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 08:26:59 PM »
Yeah, Rashid is really good at working the subtle approach.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 07:27:14 PM »
I don't think Rashid forsaw Harry becoming the WARDEN.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 08:17:13 PM »
Nobody can forsee every crazy thing that Harry does.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?