Author Topic: Summer Court's NN  (Read 6831 times)

Offline BobbyWac

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Court's NN
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 10:10:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure Harry is in Summer's domain when he and Elaine go to meet the Mothers at the cabin in Summer Knight

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 06:40:18 PM »
No... he's in the Mother's domain.  Not sure it's either Summer or Winter, really.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 08:15:17 PM »
No... he's in the Mother's domain.  Not sure it's either Summer or Winter, really.

Mother's domain with a slight Summer slant? I think there is a line from Mother Summer about Mother Winter being weaker at that time due to the seasons. I will see if I can find it.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 02:53:04 PM »
Mother's domain with a slight Summer slant? I think there is a line from Mother Summer about Mother Winter being weaker at that time due to the seasons. I will see if I can find it.

If you have a million nukes, and I have a million and 1 nukes, does it really make it my domain?  :D
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 04:52:49 PM »
If you have a million nukes, and I have a million and 1 nukes, does it really make it my domain?  :D

Not necessarily speaking in who's domain it is. More like who has more influence at any one time due to the seasons.
We have this quote from Summer Knight:
She beamed up at me. "Yes, dear. And this is Mother Winter." She gestured vaguely at the chair by the fire. "Don't be offended if she doesn't get up. It's the wrong season, you know. Hand me that broom."
This seems to indicate that the Mothers wax and wane with the seasons. I am extrapolating that their environment (the cottage) also subtly changes with waxing and waning of the Mothers. The cottage seems Summery in SK with the bread baking and Mother Summer doing some "spring cleaning."

In Cold Days this happens:
Mother Winter, in her black shawl and hood, bared her iron teeth in a snarl, though it was a silent one. She pointed one crooked, warty finger at the window nearest her, and blackened it with soot again. Then she shuffled over to a chair beneath the window, and settled into the resulting shadow as if it were a comforting blanket. "I do what must be done."

Mother Winter was able to alter the conditions of the cabin to better suit her. The Mother's power changes with the passing of the seasons and I think the cabin reflects that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:05:45 PM by Talby16 »

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »
I was thinking more in general, but I do see what you are saying.  One has preeminence over the other during their own season.  I can buy that.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 04:07:21 PM »
I was thinking more in general, but I do see what you are saying.  One has preeminence over the other during their own season.  I can buy that.

I like that description, preeminence due to their season. Aptly sums up that thought.