Author Topic: Dead Horses that have not beenbeaten  (Read 15609 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Horses that have not beenbeaten
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 11:02:37 AM »
Estimate 11/2018.
\\

Wasn't that the estimate for this year? ???

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 11:07:15 AM »
To get back to the OP, we might think of some relatively new questions, but such issues will probably not have much meat on the bone.  In other words, they will probably be issues or ideas which have very little written in the books to go on.

For example, I've thought about Harry at the beginning of Skin Game, where he states that he has been thinking about his life, but what I mostly got out of that soliloquy was that Harry wondered who he could trust.  I imagine that was partly due to Nemesis; Harry can't risk openly discussing it with any of his friends, and partly due to neither Mab nor Molly answering his calls, but we later learn that Harry also felt he wasn't being visited very often by his friends. 

However, I would really like to know if Harry thought about anything else besides that.  I mean he had an entire year on the island.  He couldn't have spent the entire time learning how the island functioned and doing Parkour.  To get more specific, at the end of Cold Days Mab told Harry that the athame Lea received from Bianca was tainted and the infection spread from Lea to Meave.  In Ghost Story Lea told Harry's shade the reason she went gonzo on the Red Court was she owed them payback for the treacherous gift (meaning the athame) Bianca gave her.  Has Harry thought about this at all?  He knows or should remember that there were two powerful wizards (necromancers specifically) who were pretending to be Bianca's flunkies, dutifully retrieving and presenting Bianca's gifts.  Cowl and Kumori didn't contest this observation when Harry told them he recognized them from Bianca's party.  Cowl even played some one-upmanship on Harry by telling him that many things of consequence happened at that party that Harry wasn't aware of.

So we know Harry couldn't do any investigating while he was stuck on Demonreach, so there wasn't anything he could do concretely, but I hope in a future book this comes up, and hopefully it doesn't hit Harry out of the blue.  He's smart enough to have put the pieces together.  He should even be wondering how much his knowledge is worth.  I mean Lea would certainly be interested that other people besides Bianca were involved in giving her the tainted athame, and Harry knows that at least one of them (Cowl) is still alive.  Perhaps Mab would like some payback as well against a wizard or wizards who were instrumental in Maeves nemfection.  Without their specific identities Harry might not have enough information to make a deal, but he's an investigator, it's kind-of what he does.  So Harry should have thought about this topic and perhaps others while he was stuck on Demonreach Island. 

So we can talk about this and other things Harry might have mulled over, but I'm not sure there will be much textural evidence to backup any ideas we might come up with.

I don't doubt that he has thought about it, but he really doesn't have anyone to bounce these thoughts off of at this time now that Butters has Bob.  Bonny might know stuff but has zero experience in the world.  Murphy can help with her deductive cop reasoning but a lot of this is above her pay grade.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 12:05:19 PM »
There is a video that puts peace talks being out 3-4 months after June or July 2018 when something else comes out, the anthology I think.  So, I'd expect it between late September to November 2018.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »
If anything, Harry should have a roll call of who and what Demonreach is holding.

It might not be a good idea to even know details on what some of those things are. At least some of them probably operate on the same basis of mortal knowledge being beneficial to them as the Old Ones and the Venators' targets in the Oblivion war.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 03:19:08 PM »
It might not be a good idea to even know details on what some of those things are. At least some of them probably operate on the same basis of mortal knowledge being beneficial to them as the Old Ones and the Venators' targets in the Oblivion war.

I disagree with this, he may not need to know details but he needs to have an idea of who and what.  I don't think the usual "mortal knowledge" thing works in the case of the Warden of the Island,  Harry remains mortal but that particular mantle puts him in a separate box in my opinion.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 08:14:19 PM »
He is responsible for some special levels of nasties. Heck, may even be a few minor gods down there.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »
He is responsible for some special levels of nasties. Heck, may even be a few minor gods down there.
Minor lol?
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 04:18:45 AM »
Probably most of them. The skinwalkers already do and they are the weaker ones.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 05:05:05 AM »
Alfred is the prison; among other things, so I imagine he already has a list of all the inmates and what they can do.  He might even know that some of them shouldn't be called by their Name or even say it out loud.  Harry should start by asking Alfred if he has this knowledge, and if so, if there is way for Harry to access it.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 10:44:50 AM »
Alfred is the prison; among other things, so I imagine he already has a list of all the inmates and what they can do.  He might even know that some of them shouldn't be called by their Name or even say it out loud.  Harry should start by asking Alfred if he has this knowledge, and if so, if there is way for Harry to access it.

He most likely has.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
In Skin Game Harry talks about spending some time figuring out what the island and prison can do. He mentions that he could now shut down a threat like the one presented to the island/prison in Cold Days. I would love to have some more info on what he found out. Did he get more history of the island, what additional defenses does the island have, are there any perks to being the Warden, are there any other side effects to the sanctum invocation, and as other have mentioned, does he have access to a list of prisoners? Unfortunately, we probably will not find out more about Demonreach for several books since Harry has moved back to Chicago. I wouldn't be surprised if Demonreach does not appear again in a significant way until the BAT.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 03:59:59 PM »
If that were the case, then with the intellectus, when Harry asked the Brit, "who are you?"  Wouldn't that information have become available to him?

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 04:14:25 PM »
If that were the case, then with the intellectus, when Harry asked the Brit, "who are you?"  Wouldn't that information have become available to him?

Hmmm, unless the information is either need-to-know or Harry has to go through a different process to obtain it. Its possible that information is locked so that intellectus cannot retrieve it. It may be a safety precaution so that the Warden does not know he has person X locked up until person X is relevant to something. It could also be set-up so that any one with intellectus is blocked from getting that information in order to prevent that information from getting out.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 09:15:55 PM »
If Harry wanted to know who the Brit was; he only needed to ask. Harry was just killing time during a break.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »
You know, I had a theory and I don't know if I published it or not.

What if the books are really each different versions of Harry?  What if each book is kind of a Mirror Mirror book and we just didn't know it.  Subtle differences between are explained that way (Bianca's Assistant's Name and the like).

The universes are similar enough that almost everything is the same, but not quite everything.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---