Author Topic: Dead Horses that have not beenbeaten  (Read 15602 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Dead Horses that have not beenbeaten
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »
   In all these years and after thousands of threads is there any ideas that have not been debated past the point of sanity. I ask because it seems a common feeling that the lack of activity is due to "no new material" and "rehashing old arguments." For those of all us that are still visiting this forum (and hopefully visit its resurrection to foreign lands wherever that land may be) I think it would be good to discuss any notion, topic, or WAG that did not receive its 720 degree coverage. Just for tickles and giggles.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline dspringer1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Horses that have not beenbeaten
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 11:01:15 PM »
It has been a long time since a new book.  Interest wanes in that situation.  Short stories are simply too short to give a big boost to interest. 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 11:21:28 AM »

Oh we few.... We faithful few.... :'(

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »
It has been a long time since a new book.  Interest wanes in that situation.  Short stories are simply too short to give a big boost to interest.

Yup, it happens every time...  Whatever the reason, good, bad, understandable, not understandable, the length of times between novels have grown...   The number of novels in the series seems to remain the same leaving a lot of us thinking we will never see how it all ends..    It is also true that especially the latest crumbs thrown the fan's way in the way of short stories have not satisfied.. 

Offline ebliss1

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 02:48:02 PM »
And yet people here are more than willing to jump down on a fan when they ask when the next book will come out.

Or, TWG Forbid, you express displeasure about the lack of new materiel and then you are excoriated repeatedly because you've committed the mortal sin of being anything less than serenely grateful for what has been written before and reminded that you should be on your knees thanking all you hold dear that you've gotten as much as you have...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:03:45 PM by ebliss1 »
Making a Better World Whether You Like it or Not

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 02:48:51 PM »
What is frustrating is that it seems that there are as many loose ends created as are closed.  Although the reveal of Nemesis and ascension of Molly to WL, birth of Bonnie in SG, closed some loose ends.

To last few posters, I agree.  It's as if they must force water torture upon those that want a new book, because Jim feels water torture with the massive requests to hurry it along. So, they are willing to do the same thing to others that causes Jim pain.  Great move.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 02:50:28 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 08:07:40 PM »
What is frustrating is that it seems that there are as many loose ends created as are closed.  Although the reveal of Nemesis and ascension of Molly to WL, birth of Bonnie in SG, closed some loose ends.

To last few posters, I agree.  It's as if they must force water torture upon those that want a new book, because Jim feels water torture with the massive requests to hurry it along. So, they are willing to do the same thing to others that causes Jim pain.  Great move.

Worse yet, one gets the feeling that Jim may have more or less moved on... He has started another series, yeah I know he can walk and chew gum at the same time, but.....  So with personal appearances other projects and yeah the man is entitled to having a personal life, I get that....  The time stretches out into years between books...  Is it harder to come up with new stuff for a character he has been writing for 20 years perhaps, but then please end it skip to the BAT after Peace Talks..... Well, maybe do Mirror Mirror as well or many fans will burst a blood vessel if it is never written...

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 09:44:07 PM »
I don't really get the feeling that he has moved on. I'm guessing Peace Talks just had a lot going on and a lot of characters involved, which is making it difficult to write.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 10:03:26 PM »
I would say that everybody is feeling a level of frustration with the situation. The whole spectrum with us (the demand) at one end to Mr. Butcher (the supply) at the other and all those inbetween like Iago and Priscellie are carrying some degree of irritation. Grumbling is always expected but never very productive.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 11:27:21 AM »
I would say that everybody is feeling a level of frustration with the situation. The whole spectrum with us (the demand) at one end to Mr. Butcher (the supply) at the other and all those inbetween like Iago and Priscellie are carrying some degree of irritation. Grumbling is always expected but never very productive.

But sometimes it is satisfying ::)   We all know it is out of our hands in any case, it will be done when it is done..   

Offline BlahBlah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 03:19:51 AM »
When is PT coming out?  Is there a release date set yet?
Quote from: Griffyn612
My guesses are not educated, thank you.  >:( 

They're Logic School drop-outs, just hanging out in the rough parts of the boards, looking for trouble.  They look tough, but run at the first sign of reasoning or intellectual thought 8)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 04:40:13 AM »
When is PT coming out?  Is there a release date set yet?

Not yet as far as I know..

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 01:06:35 PM »
Estimate 11/2018.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 06:31:50 PM »
To get back to the OP, we might think of some relatively new questions, but such issues will probably not have much meat on the bone.  In other words, they will probably be issues or ideas which have very little written in the books to go on.

For example, I've thought about Harry at the beginning of Skin Game, where he states that he has been thinking about his life, but what I mostly got out of that soliloquy was that Harry wondered who he could trust.  I imagine that was partly due to Nemesis; Harry can't risk openly discussing it with any of his friends, and partly due to neither Mab nor Molly answering his calls, but we later learn that Harry also felt he wasn't being visited very often by his friends. 

However, I would really like to know if Harry thought about anything else besides that.  I mean he had an entire year on the island.  He couldn't have spent the entire time learning how the island functioned and doing Parkour.  To get more specific, at the end of Cold Days Mab told Harry that the athame Lea received from Bianca was tainted and the infection spread from Lea to Meave.  In Ghost Story Lea told Harry's shade the reason she went gonzo on the Red Court was she owed them payback for the treacherous gift (meaning the athame) Bianca gave her.  Has Harry thought about this at all?  He knows or should remember that there were two powerful wizards (necromancers specifically) who were pretending to be Bianca's flunkies, dutifully retrieving and presenting Bianca's gifts.  Cowl and Kumori didn't contest this observation when Harry told them he recognized them from Bianca's party.  Cowl even played some one-upmanship on Harry by telling him that many things of consequence happened at that party that Harry wasn't aware of.

So we know Harry couldn't do any investigating while he was stuck on Demonreach, so there wasn't anything he could do concretely, but I hope in a future book this comes up, and hopefully it doesn't hit Harry out of the blue.  He's smart enough to have put the pieces together.  He should even be wondering how much his knowledge is worth.  I mean Lea would certainly be interested that other people besides Bianca were involved in giving her the tainted athame, and Harry knows that at least one of them (Cowl) is still alive.  Perhaps Mab would like some payback as well against a wizard or wizards who were instrumental in Maeves nemfection.  Without their specific identities Harry might not have enough information to make a deal, but he's an investigator, it's kind-of what he does.  So Harry should have thought about this topic and perhaps others while he was stuck on Demonreach Island. 

So we can talk about this and other things Harry might have mulled over, but I'm not sure there will be much textural evidence to backup any ideas we might come up with.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 07:18:39 PM »
If anything, Harry should have a roll call of who and what Demonreach is holding. Or, have a big old list of questions that need answers.
Make Mine Butcher!