Author Topic: Dead Horses that have not beenbeaten  (Read 16376 times)

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Horses that have not beenbeaten
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2017, 09:41:49 PM »
If memory serves, Harry had speculated that Lafortier had discovered Peabody's existence as a spy, and that his death was something of a reaction to that.  If Harry was wrong, it could have been because he represented such a large minority and made for a better leverage to get Cristos in position.

I actually would go with situation 2. Lafortier was killed during the night. I can't see him finding out about the existence of a spy (especially one with such close association to the Senior Council) and waiting to tell someone about it and going to bed instead. My bet is that it was a combination of him being a "sort target" (as opposed to Eb for instance), the fact that his replacement was from the minority segment, and the fact that his killing would upset the biggest number of white council wizards and cause divisions due to underrepresentation.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2017, 09:53:29 PM »
So, Lafortier was the weakest link. Goodbye.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2017, 03:22:08 PM »
If memory serves, Harry had speculated that Lafortier had discovered Peabody's existence as a spy, and that his death was something of a reaction to that.  If Harry was wrong, it could have been because he represented such a large minority and made for a better leverage to get Cristos in position.

I think it was more of the bolded part.  If Lafortier knew that Peabody was a spy, why would he not have "called the guards" immediately?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2017, 05:54:44 PM »
Quick question. Why was Lafortier chosen to die as opposed to other members of Senior Council?

Because LaFortier was the Western wizard most popular with the non-Western wizards and was therefore an important diplomatic link that keeps the council whole.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2017, 06:28:32 PM »
Because LaFortier was the Western wizard most popular with the non-Western wizards and was therefore an important diplomatic link that keeps the council whole.

I agree.  It was a move to hopefully disrupt the council by making those groups in minority to feel unrepresented.  Thus destabilizing the Wouncil.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2017, 07:13:52 PM »
I agree.  It was a move to hopefully disrupt the council by making those groups in minority to feel unrepresented.  Thus destabilizing the Wouncil.

While potentially getting a mole/plant on the inside of the Senior council.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2017, 07:16:10 PM »
While potentially getting a mole/plant on the inside of the Senior council.

I've thought of this and just don't see Christos as a mole.  It just doesn't sit right.  Peabody was the mole, from a Doyalist point of view, that would be going down a road we've already been.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
I've thought of this and just don't see Christos as a mole.  It just doesn't sit right.  Peabody was the mole, from a Doyalist point of view, that would be going down a road we've already been.
Christos seems more like a useful idiot. Maybe a useful infected idiot. Probably does not know about it if he is. He just takes harmful decisions.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2017, 07:47:13 PM »
I've always entertained the thought that Lafortier figured out the ink—not that that was the vector of transmission for Peabody's influence, but that there was influence, and had begun narrowing down the suspect pool. He managed to fight off most of the control once he recognized it, but didn't realize how subtle it was, and his natural paranoia and distrust of warlocks (such as Harry Dresden) was amplified. He had it down to a super short list, but didn't bring anyone else on, because he couldn't be sure who he could trust. He was too close, so Peabody killed him. He didn't know precisely that it was Peabody, but he was down to, say, the last four or five suspects, and it would've been a matter of days.

That's how it played out in my head anyway.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2017, 08:31:18 PM »
Christos seems more like a useful idiot. Maybe a useful infected idiot. Probably does not know about it if he is. He just takes harmful decisions.
That really sums up my opinion of Cristos nicely. Thank you.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2017, 08:32:50 PM »
I've always entertained the thought that Lafortier figured out the ink—not that that was the vector of transmission for Peabody's influence, but that there was influence, and had begun narrowing down the suspect pool. He managed to fight off most of the control once he recognized it, but didn't realize how subtle it was, and his natural paranoia and distrust of warlocks (such as Harry Dresden) was amplified. He had it down to a super short list, but didn't bring anyone else on, because he couldn't be sure who he could trust. He was too close, so Peabody killed him. He didn't know precisely that it was Peabody, but he was down to, say, the last four or five suspects, and it would've been a matter of days.

That is some detailed thought and more credit than I would have given LaFortier. But, he was SC.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2017, 03:19:23 PM »

This has been my assessment as well, except for the infected part (I assume you mean Nemfected).  I'm still of the opinion that Mankind cannot be Nemfected.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2017, 03:21:02 PM »

I could add that I'd believe that LaFortier probably had it stuck in his head that it WAS Harry, but evidence shows that Harry could NOT have been the one, and that is what caused Lafortier to hesitate.  He just couldn't reconcile it in his head.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2017, 08:01:18 PM »
I could add that I'd believe that LaFortier probably had it stuck in his head that it WAS Harry, but evidence shows that Harry could NOT have been the one, and that is what caused Lafortier to hesitate.  He just couldn't reconcile it in his head.
LaFortier irrationally believing Harry is the mole causing him to delay identification of the mole which leads to his death due to the mole's machinations only to wind up having his case solved by Harry seems fitting.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2017, 08:09:01 PM »
LaFortier irrationally believing Harry is the mole causing him to delay identification of the mole which leads to his death due to the mole's machinations only to wind up having his case solved by Harry seems fitting.

ROFL ...