Author Topic: So long, and thanks for all the posts  (Read 15643 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: So long, and thanks for all the posts
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 02:55:31 PM »
So, I notice lots of anger and frustration happening on the Thread Iago posted.

I've seen lots of ideas for places that the forum could move to but I haven't seen much consensus.  I'm not exactly sure what is going to happen.

Once people decide on new location(s), there will be links from Jim's site to our new home.

Do we have any concrete plans yet?

I hear Obsidian Portal for PbP
Wiki for all the Resources
Rpg.net or ENworld or Criticalfumble.net for discussions.

It's too bad we can't find one place for it all - although, pbp can be done on any of these sites, I suppose.

Still no good ideas for all the resources that are hidden in the various threads on this site.  I think most of the abandoned pbp games can just be trashed.  But I'll be going through a bunch of mine and copying stuff I need.  Even my Inbox has NPCs I need.

@Sanctaphrax: Any word about archiving stuff?

I'd like to make a plan and start moving.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
As far as I know, Griffyn is working on a solution. He is taking his time, working the angles, and learning as he goes. He is being smart and trying to get smarter. Add in the facts of life like a job and all the other time-consumers that eat up hours. As far as consensus goes, I see the options as two: step to the left of the tracks or take a hit from the oncoming train.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 03:28:42 PM »
As far as I know, Griffyn is working on a solution. He is taking his time, working the angles, and learning as he goes. He is being smart and trying to get smarter. Add in the facts of life like a job and all the other time-consumers that eat up hours. As far as consensus goes, I see the options as two: step to the left of the tracks or take a hit from the oncoming train.

Ok, fair enough.  On that note, though, I'd like to have a back-up plan or, at least something in place to make the transition easier when/if Griffyn finds a solution.

I'm wondering about codifying some of the outcomes of some of the more important conversations that have happened here. 

Maybe some part of the wiki called rules adjudications, or Guide to GMing?  With a brief blurb of where/how this information came to be.

Some topics (that come up very often on this board)
- buying powers with thaumaturgy/temporary powers
- Summoning
- there are others, but I can't think of them off-hand.

I'd be willing to find those threads and do write-ups.  Even have quotes to reference stuff.

@sanctaphrax:  I noticed you have lots of that stuff covered in the 'house-rules' section.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 03:36:33 PM »
Someone sent me a PM about downloading a thread and I sent him link to a google option. But, has anyone ever downloaded an entire thread and how much space does it take up? I do most of my posting using a 2-in-1 tablet.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Jabberwocky

• Conversationalist
  • Radical Reactionary Habsburg Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 07:35:26 PM »
Well, I'm not an IT worker but wouldn't it be possible just to ask someone from Evil Hat politely about the possibility of backing the forum up and giving it (I mean the data) to the community? The database must be somewhere and therefore it must be possible to make a copy (image or whatever).
A Hundred Towers? – Our Prague campaign.
Dramatis personae – Cast of characters, both PCs and NPCs.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 06:52:20 AM »
Do we have any concrete plans yet?

I hear Obsidian Portal for PbP
Wiki for all the Resources
Rpg.net or ENworld or Criticalfumble.net for discussions.

It's too bad we can't find one place for it all - although, pbp can be done on any of these sites, I suppose.

Still no good ideas for all the resources that are hidden in the various threads on this site.  I think most of the abandoned pbp games can just be trashed.  But I'll be going through a bunch of mine and copying stuff I need.  Even my Inbox has NPCs I need.

@Sanctaphrax: Any word about archiving stuff?

I'd like to make a plan and start moving.

People on the future of the forum forum are talking about creating a successor forum. It's possible we can just copy everything over and continue more or less unaffected.

So I've kinda been sitting around hoping the problem will go away. I guess if there's no action in a week or so, I'll have to get off my butt. Iago said we have until the end of the year, but no sense cutting it close.

Well, I'm not an IT worker but wouldn't it be possible just to ask someone from Evil Hat politely about the possibility of backing the forum up and giving it (I mean the data) to the community? The database must be somewhere and therefore it must be possible to make a copy (image or whatever).

I'll shoot a PM to Priscellie, see what the options are.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 07:46:05 AM »
I really like the title of this thread.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 09:11:05 AM »
People on the future of the forum forum are talking about creating a successor forum. It's possible we can just copy everything over and continue more or less unaffected.

So I've kinda been sitting around hoping the problem will go away. I guess if there's no action in a week or so, I'll have to get off my butt. Iago said we have until the end of the year, but no sense cutting it close.

I'll shoot a PM to Priscellie, see what the options are.

It's been a week or so, and I've heard nothing. This looks hopeful, though.

Anyway, using this software I've been able to make what I think is a functional archive. Not sure how to go about sharing it without revealing my login information or letting you all browse my PMs, though.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:12:36 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »
Late but thank you, Sanctaphrax, for maintaining this. I've always wanted to run something with this game but held off due to lack of players and inexperience as a DM. Recent stuff has cleared up so finally wanted to run a game for Christmas, but found out forums would be closing before then and all these resources would be gone. It's incentive to finish planning sooner than later but I'd be nice to be able to go back to things later and give it a more thorough look, if we go from one-shots to long-term.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 01:34:04 AM »
Turns out the archive I had wasn't so functional after all. It had the front page of each forum, but that's about it; I only thought it had the rest because it automatically sent me to the actual web page when I went to something it didn't have archived.

I've made a blank user here named Archive and I've got my computer working on a proper download linked to it. But I'm not sure it'll work. Four hours and 1.45 GB in, my computer claims to have around 17000 files written. Which is, I think, probably less than 10% of this place.

I suspect that even if I'm able to archive the whole site, I'll have a hard time sharing access to it.

Obviously not giving up, though. I'll keep you all posted on my progress or lack thereof.

Late but thank you, Sanctaphrax, for maintaining this.

You're very welcome.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 01:42:06 AM »
I am curious to know forum size as well.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 07:17:43 AM »
I've got some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that I finished downloading.

The bad news is that it wasn't because the archive was complete. It was because

Quote from: Error Message
Panic:    Too many URLs, giving up..(>100000)

The good news is that the archive is still quite usable.

The bad news is that many of the longer threads have their later pages missing.

The good news is that if you click the Print button on an archived thread, you should be able to see the whole thing even if much of it is theoretically "missing".

The bad news is that the parts of the forum that you can only view while logged in are missing.

The good news is that those parts are small enough that saving them manually, with the print button and control-S, is actually viable. At least in theory.

The mixed news is that Google Drive says it'll take 2 hours to upload the half-complete archive I've got. It's about two gigabytes, which Google claims should be no problem. I'm not confident it'll actually work, though.

Anyway, I'm going to sleep. If possible, I'll post the archive tomorrow.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 09:20:21 AM »
Well, that is disappointing. But, you gave it a good go. I guess that what trial and error is all about. Trying different methods until one works. 2gb of data for a partial?
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »
Yep.

Anyway, the archive's here. Upload didn't work perfectly but the vast majority of the files went up successfully so it ought to be usable.

The document you want to click on is "index.html". Opening it with a web browser will take you to a page that looks very much like the actual forum, which you can navigate as though it were the actual forum.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 06:03:06 PM »
Huh.

When I click on that link normally, it leads me to the folder.

When I click on that link incognito, it leads me to a version of the folder that's inexplicably missing a ton of stuff.

Can someone click on it and tell me whether they see a file named blackblue.gif and a file named cookies.txt?