Author Topic: So long, and thanks for all the posts  (Read 15581 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
So long, and thanks for all the posts
« on: October 14, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »
jimbutcheronline will be closing its forums soon.

Obviously, that includes this subforum.

The wiki will be unaffected; I maintain it privately. But I know there are a lot of valuable resources here that aren't on the wiki, so I'll see about preserving an archived copy of this forum.

Not sure what we're gonna do about the play-by-post games. We'll continue to play them, obviously, but the details are all very up in the air.

I'm going to miss this place. I've spent a ton of time here, had a lot of fun, met some great people. And though the forum is quiet these days, I can't help but feel sad about it passing.

Fred Hicks will be forming another community elsewhere. If it has a DFRPG section, I hope to see you there.

And if I don't, I still don't want to completely lose touch with you all. I'm Sanctaphrax on RPGnet, reddit, sufficientvelocity, and giantitp. If that's not enough contact info for you, PM me and I'll tell you my email address.

EDIT: Looks like the forum isn't truly dead. It'll reopen elsewhere one of these days.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:43:55 PM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: So long, and thanks for all the posts
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 03:23:41 PM »
It's crappy.

I wonder about bringing it to another RP forum, like ENworld.

I just don't know what we'd do with all the valuable resources here.  Lawbreaker discussion, etc..

- basically, most everything on the resource page.

Obsidian Portal might be able to handle individual pbp games
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 03:42:29 PM by Taran »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »
Double-Post

@Sanctaphrax:
I'd also like to formally thank you for all your hard work on these boards over the years.  It really is a well organized place to find information.

You have also always been there for anyone who needed anything in regards to rules adjudications, character ideas (especially when helping people build characters and NPCs).  And always seem to find that elusive link that would give someone the answer they were looking for.

Your home-brewing expertise is unparalleled and we all have benefited from your advice and guidance on so many stunts and powers and rules.

I don`t want to speak for anyone but I must say that you made this a great place to hang out.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:27:29 PM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 11:41:30 PM »
It's crappy.

Yep.

Place is a bit of a ghost town these days, though. Can't really fault Fred for pulling the plug.

I wonder about bringing it to another RP forum, like ENworld.

I just don't know what we'd do with all the valuable resources here.  Lawbreaker discussion, etc..

- basically, most everything on the resource page.

I'll figure something out. We've got a couple of months at least.

Obsidian Portal might be able to handle individual pbp games

I don't know much about the place, but I've heard good things. Moving there is fine by me.

Double-Post

@Sanctaphrax:
I'd also like to formally thank you for all your hard work on these boards over the years.  It really is a well organized place to find information.

You have also always been there for anyone who needed anything in regards to rules adjudications, character ideas (especially when helping people build characters and NPCs).  And always seem to find that elusive link that would give someone the answer they were looking for.

Your home-brewing expertise is unparalleled and we all have benefited from your advice and guidance on so many stunts and powers and rules.

I don`t want to speak for anyone but I must say that you made this a great place to hang out.

Thanks. Really, it's nice to hear that.

I should thank you for being here as well. Might not be any action on the PbP board at all without you; I don't think I would've kept up EtA without you there. Every game I've seen with you in it was a lot better for having you.

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 06:51:01 PM »
I would like to say thanks to all that has posted here. Have been some interesting threads, and good resources.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 09:21:14 PM »
Fat Lady hasn't sung yet. Or at the very least, we still getting an encore.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Bearclaw

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »
rpg.net hosts a huge forum, including pbp games and quite a few DFRPG posts.  GM's might consider moving their games over there.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 01:03:51 AM »
rpg.net hosts a huge forum, including pbp games and quite a few DFRPG posts.  GM's might consider moving their games over there.

Looks nice and seems to load quicker than en world. 

What I notice about both these sites is they have D&D focused forums and they just group "other rp games" all together.  I wonder if we could ask for a sub forum?   We have a whole community looking for a place.  But maybe it's too niche.

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 07:43:46 PM »
Well, I know one guy who hosts a forum that started as a rpg-forum and then developed to its own community. No idea if he would want to host it or what he charges. I do know even though there are a number of fans of the Dresden files series at that forum, I think the tone there would be a bit rough compared to here. But then, that happens when you have the same people arguing with each others about everything (including lots of touchy topics) for almost 20 years.  ;)

That forum is called Criticalfumble.net

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 01:19:54 AM »
Gentlemen, it's been a pleasure. o7

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 07:56:22 AM »
There's a lot of talk over on the Future of the Forum forum about cloning this forum or otherwise setting up a direct successor site. Migrating over to that would be my first choice, assuming they make good on their plans.

Looks nice and seems to load quicker than en world. 

What I notice about both these sites is they have D&D focused forums and they just group "other rp games" all together.  I wonder if we could ask for a sub forum?   We have a whole community looking for a place.  But maybe it's too niche.

We're definitely too niche. rpgnet's massive, we'd be a drop in the bucket.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 08:07:21 AM »
We are a fanatical little group, aren't we?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Jabberwocky

• Conversationalist
  • Radical Reactionary Habsburg Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 01:57:22 PM »
Migrating the forums elsewhere (so that the content won't get lost) would be a very good thing. Or at least archiving it and making it available. As for Obsidian Portal, it's quite a comfortable tool for hosting games, even pbm-ones. Otherwise I don't care much whether the discussion will continue on a huge site like rpgnet or on something smaller. The group will always stick together, I suppose.
A Hundred Towers? – Our Prague campaign.
Dramatis personae – Cast of characters, both PCs and NPCs.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 03:34:02 PM »
We're definitely too niche. rpgnet's massive, we'd be a drop in the bucket.

It is HUGE but Fate love is quite well represented there.  Of course, there are a fair amount of detractors.  Sucks this forum is going away. My 7 year DFRPG/DFA game was started here.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline BearsDragon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 06:02:18 PM »
This is ths suck. I'd just discovered the forum and it's been invaluable in unsticking the plot in my gam.e