Author Topic: Deadline end of year  (Read 10935 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Deadline end of year
« on: October 13, 2017, 08:56:14 PM »
Haven't established one but I'd like to see things heading to a conclusion by/around the end of the year if possible.

Not a lot of time to comb through the replies here.

Suffice it to say I don't think that it's something that's gonna get solved by a single monolithic solution, I think the community will need to gel around 2-3 things that solve different overlapping parts of the need: for example, Discord or Slack for some real-time social-connecting & chatting. An established well-moderated Facebook group for that platform (because if you don't include Facebook you'll miss a big chunk of folks; personally that platform's not for me, but it is the big leader in the field) — sounds like there's one out there already. Probably a Wiki or similar to store fan resources like Word of Jim.

Branch out, check out what is out there. Facebook, Google+, Discord, Reddit, Slack, etc. Join discussion in following threads for your input...
The Great Migration
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,50284.0.html
Time for the Forum to Move On
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,50237.0.html

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:49:50 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Deadline end of year
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 10:06:34 PM »
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 11:29:31 PM »
Is the Malazan Empire, books of the Fallen a good series?
I like that website by the way. Very nice.
Both are.

We should start working on this...
http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Malazan_Wiki
We don't need a Forum to do it, and we can put WOJ collection and some other References there using the Malazan wiki as a guide.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:41:34 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 02:14:12 AM »
Is the Malazan Empire, books of the Fallen a good series?
I’m in the process of reading it now. The writing is decent, the story interesting, and there are some fair bits of dry humour. One of the things I like is that it’s a vast world with many, many characters and the story isn’t spoon fed to you (quite the contrary, it just immerses you without explanation and you learn by context). Each book so far, on the sixth now, has different point of view characters and even occur in different time periods and on various continents.

I will say that the first book has been, by far, the worst to the point I’m at, as you might expect. It’s a bit rougher in terms of writing and some of the story elements made me roll my eyes (though, not as much as Dresden Files). The author really corrected course by the second book, though, reining in the eye roll inducing portions and converting them into that dry humour I mentioned.

Anyway, I recommend the series for what it’s worth.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 08:03:50 AM »
I posted them as additional sites with Dresden topics and good layouts.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline nervousenergy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 02:54:50 PM »
I agree with many in the main exit thread:  Forums aren't dinosaurs OR dying in the niches they occupy.  If anything, they're growing.  No other social media design captures near-time conversation, topic organization, search-ability, anonymity, and global 'one stop shop' for everything that forum is about.  Every other option mentioned (Facebook, G+, Reddit, Discord, etc.) fails one or more of those major features. 

Getting rid of the official forum concept is a big mistake, and will almost certainly spawn another forum(s) that are 'unofficial' for fans to get those community features.  Iago may be done with the forums, but he's likely to find out after they're changed to read-only that the fan base isn't done with the Forum concept.  It'll fracture for a while into all these other SM spaces, then imperfectly coalesce back onto another BBS style forum somewhere else.  After Iago breaks the tablets, and the JBO fanbase spends a few months wandering in the FaceBook, Reddit (lol), and G+ desert, perhaps the 17th Shard will take them in.  They certainly don't seem to be 'dying'. 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
I agree with many in the main exit thread:  Forums aren't dinosaurs OR dying in the niches they occupy.  If anything, they're growing.  No other social media design captures near-time conversation, topic organization, search-ability, anonymity, and global 'one stop shop' for everything that forum is about.  Every other option mentioned (Facebook, G+, Reddit, Discord, etc.) fails one or more of those major features. 

Getting rid of the official forum concept is a big mistake, and will almost certainly spawn another forum(s) that are 'unofficial' for fans to get those community features.  Iago may be done with the forums, but he's likely to find out after they're changed to read-only that the fan base isn't done with the Forum concept.  It'll fracture for a while into all these other SM spaces, then imperfectly coalesce back onto another BBS style forum somewhere else.  After Iago breaks the tablets, and the JBO fanbase spends a few months wandering in the FaceBook, Reddit (lol), and G+ desert, perhaps the 17th Shard will take them in.  They certainly don't seem to be 'dying'.

I agree for the most part and have checked out Reddit and Facebook and prefer what we have here.  What is the reason exactly for having to disband and move?   

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 03:58:32 PM »
Maintainance. Iago got fed up with it. From what I understand he had made up his mind and there is nothing we can do about it.

So we got to hear that forums are not hip anymore and that it was time to move on. As any programmer knows, how the software looks like is more important than the functionality. And young kids use Facebook now.

I am on Facebook because some of my friends are and it is the ideal medium for sharing pictures of your cats but for long term discussions it is just to fleeting.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline nervousenergy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 04:23:22 PM »
So we got to hear that forums are not hip anymore and that it was time to move on. As any programmer knows, how the software looks like is more important than the functionality. And young kids use Facebook now.
And that's the part that peeves me off the most about the situation:  the impression of dishonesty.  I say impression because I don't know Iago's mind and won't accuse him of dishonesty if he truly does feel the BB format is dead and we're all very reluctant users who'd much rather be on Facebook or Reddit, despite the copious evidence to the contrary.    If he's tired of it he's tired of it... this happens all the time.  Give it over to someone else, and if nobody wants to step up and JB isn't interested in professional management/hosting then let it die of it's own accord, but don't try and tell us something that's simply not true for what's likely the vast majority of us. 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 04:52:57 PM »
Everyone needs to remember that Iago's original purpose for the boards is different from what we use them for. 

For RPG, it's apparently inefficient.  There are better things out there.  He wants to try them.

For info on the series, there are other places, such as FB, Reddit, and the Wiki. 

As a gateway for JB to interact with the fans, it's no longer ideal.  He rarely interacts here.  Instead, he uses Reddit, like other authors.

Iago is paying for and supporting a site that no longer holds any purpose for him.  Why should he spend money and time on it?

He's been courteous enough to give us time to find alternatives.  If he'd wanted to, he could have just shut the site down.  We need to appreciate that.

Another thing to note, at least to me, is the silence from many of the moderators.  Some have spoken up, but others have not.  It makes me wonder if it's more than just Iago who's tired.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 05:35:10 PM »
No promises but I am talking to a friend of mine to help me with the computer side of setting up a forum while I'm inquiring about the financial requirements.  I'm curious if the people on the board want an all around Jim Butcher board, or a forum focused mostly on just the Dresden Files? 

Also about Forum conduct.  Would people like the more strict guidelines for this forum, or would they like things to be loosened up a bit?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:39:20 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 06:21:22 PM »
Everyone needs to remember that Iago's original purpose for the boards is different from what we use them for. 

For RPG, it's apparently inefficient.  There are better things out there.  He wants to try them.

For info on the series, there are other places, such as FB, Reddit, and the Wiki. 

As a gateway for JB to interact with the fans, it's no longer ideal.  He rarely interacts here.  Instead, he uses Reddit, like other authors.

Iago is paying for and supporting a site that no longer holds any purpose for him.  Why should he spend money and time on it?

He's been courteous enough to give us time to find alternatives.  If he'd wanted to, he could have just shut the site down.  We need to appreciate that.

Another thing to note, at least to me, is the silence from many of the moderators.  Some have spoken up, but others have not.  It makes me wonder if it's more than just Iago who's tired.
Moderating can be a lot of effort but it is one of the things that makes this site what it is and I do understand that the effort that goes into the site must be justified. The sign on the wall was already there when Jim himself used the forum less and less.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 06:53:13 PM »
We should start working on this...
http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Malazan_Wiki
We don't need a Forum to do it, and we can put WOJ collection and some other References there using the Malazan wiki as a guide.

You mean this?

http://dresdenfiles.wikia.com/wiki/Dresden_Files

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 08:20:41 PM »
No promises but I am talking to a friend of mine to help me with the computer side of setting up a forum while I'm inquiring about the financial requirements.  I'm curious if the people on the board want an all around Jim Butcher board, or a forum focused mostly on just the Dresden Files? 

Also about Forum conduct.  Would people like the more strict guidelines for this forum, or would they like things to be loosened up a bit?
I would say a Dresden heavy forum. Maybe a sub-section for non-dresden works and another subsection like the bar.
Make Mine Butcher!