Author Topic: The Great Migration  (Read 9794 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
The Great Migration
« on: October 11, 2017, 11:13:16 PM »
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,50237.0.html

We will need to find a new home for the Forum by the end of the year. So help us out.  This is an excerpt from above link from Iago's call to action.

o, as the subject line indicates... I think it's time to move on.

The question for you all, then, is "to where?" And honestly, I don't have a clear answer because I'm an old dog, and I just don't use Facebook that much, which is probably where the majority of fandom activity is happening right now. So I need to turn this question over to you all.

On Twitter,  y'all should be following https://twitter.com/jimbutchernews as that's the main site's newsfeed in tweet form.

On Facebook... what groups should we point people to? Leave links in your replies to this post.

On Google Plus... same question! Post some links to the Communities where the discussion about Jim & his properties is happening.

On ??? ... man, did you even read what I said above? I'm an old dog! Teach me of the new tricks out there. Where's the other Jim fandom activity happening online?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:54:16 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Migration
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 11:35:14 PM »
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:37:26 AM by raidem »

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 11:36:58 PM »
Reddit has a discussion area for this book series.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »

Very old dog, but Facebook will work I guess... But why can't we stay where we are at?

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:22:41 AM »
It is explained by Iago in link of the OP.  The thread can be found under the Dresden Files topic as opposed to DF Spoilers topic.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 01:44:21 PM »
Well dang. Not really a fan of Reddit or social media in general, so this is disappointing.

What if someone set up a Patreon (with no reward tiers) to fund a VBulletin board as Gryffyn suggested in the other thread? Seems like that would solve the security concerns. Or is this more because forums as a medium are outdated?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 02:44:22 PM »
Well dang. Not really a fan of Reddit or social media in general, so this is disappointing.

What if someone set up a Patreon (with no reward tiers) to fund a VBulletin board as Gryffyn suggested in the other thread? Seems like that would solve the security concerns. Or is this more because forums as a medium are outdated?
Really boils down to us not being necessary to spread Jim's work, He's famous enough the original purpose for which they made us is no longer viable. It was never for the fans. examine the words and logic put forth by them. Tis true.Twas for Jim... Now he's famous... totally opposite of Pottermore that was designed for the fans after the books were done and fandom wanted it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:50:44 PM by jonas »
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 10:56:56 PM »
Dude, you are so very wrong.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 11:17:46 PM »
Dude, you are so very wrong.
Not really, examine his post.(and your making me uncomfortable saying this, not sure how I may be reacted to as this goes a bit deeper, not my intention here) Not saying it's a bad thing, He's simply Jim's very good friend. His primary motives in all of the above actions were for him specifically. What he knew he could do, getting him the publicity he needed, having a place for the fans to congregate, ect. The one thing we do here is communicate and manually spread the word, that's no longer viable, nor are we necessary to farther spread it. We are the burden on his cpu, which I totally understand that part... don't enjoy it though.
But look at that which he directly wishes to preserve, Woj. Not Mdod or other lost fellows, not reference threads forum members went to town on or our community as a whole. We serve no purpose that can't be found elsewhere. I'm sure we don't produce profit here from our links much now days or any of that. Wash the metaphorical hands and start fresh, Lucas wished to sell Star Wars after all, and that actually was profitable from the beginning to the end.
Your telling an Autistic guy whose spectrum is towards Psychobable and extreme empathy he's entirely wrong... that's just something that i'd have to disagree with. Reading ppl, even just through txt, is what I do. Course seeing something and having the correct response is an entirely different venture....

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 11:38:33 PM »
While you may have valid points. I respectfully feel the need to disagree. Sorry, just trying to minimize the negative in a sad situation.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 11:49:34 PM »
Course seeing something and having the correct response is an entirely different venture....
LOL
There is a thing called agreeableness in Personality theory.
Agreeableness: (friendly/compassionate vs. challenging/detached). A tendency to be compassionate and cooperative rather than suspicious and antagonistic towards others. It is also a measure of one's trusting and helpful nature, and whether a person is generally well-tempered or not. High agreeableness is often seen as naive or submissive. Low agreeableness personalities are often competitive or challenging people, which can be seen as argumentativeness or untrustworthiness.[4]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:53:24 PM by raidem »

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 12:09:24 AM »
Well, my son has been diagnozed on Autism Spectrum-high functioning. Probably got it from my side of the family (me).
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 12:27:22 AM »
LOL
There is a thing called agreeableness in Personality theory.
Guess i'd be disagreeableness lol?
Well, my son has been diagnozed on Autism Spectrum-high functioning. Probably got it from my side of the family (me).
Yea... Just now getting my 3 yr old diagnosed, which is early to even look for it from most parents but considering my history we've been watching him closely. Can't hardly say a sentence but can count to ten and name all his colors :) he's very smart in his way. I saw him get frustrated his toy wasn't as smart as him, he kept trying to mash two primary colors simultaneously to make say the secondary color he knows it should be.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 12:41:20 AM »
Yeppers that is you.  And me to some extent.  But mostly you.  It is part of your personality, I'd wager.
Too many people telling me i'm wrong but ignoring that stink coming out of their own sh*t makes me cynical. Harry Dresden as my model for mouthing off... probably don't help one dang bit lol. eventually the internal backlash(of which the attitudes i've received here from Naysayers has very much been a part)  made me give up and decided "one person walk over you, make path for future people to walk."
Better to wear bear traps as a fashion statement.
*plus.. you know how much god damned evil you see in (some)people when you look in their eyes as an empath? It's not like being a wizard, but science proves it make the mirror neurons in the back of your head light up in a quantum entanglement way. Hate people sometimes for seeing too much...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:45:04 AM by jonas »