Author Topic: harry killed another mortal with magic in Cold days  (Read 6567 times)

Offline Bacchus

• Participant
    • View Profile
harry killed another mortal with magic in Cold days
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:23:01 AM »
So I'm very sorry if this is already known or been discussed

With all the talk of breaking the laws of magic didn't Harry break the law about killing mortals with magic again in cold days during the Wild Hunt chase.
Harry was on the back of Murphy's Harley trying to escape and forzare'd one of the char hounds into a wall and broke its neck.
 The char hound turned out to be a mortal human. I know this isn't as clear cut as burning someone alive but that seems to definitely qualify in my book.
He seemed to specificly time and aim the blow so it would kill the guy.
He also knows from Thomas that random people can join the hunt.
it would qualify as self defense but still.
Did that blacken his soul? Did he just forget he killed someone with magic?
He never seems to mention it again which seems strange to me.  Wouldnt this lead to blackening his morals and making him more violent and murdery independent of the winter knight influence. Im currious about your thoughts or maybe dirrect me to a previous descussion about it if its already been talked about.
here is the quote

Something that looked like a great, gaunt hound made of smoke and cinders, with glowing coals for eyes, hit the ground just behind the Harley and began sprinting, keeping pace with us. It came rushing in, dark jaws spread to seize the back tire, the same motion it might have used had it been attempting to hamstring a fleeing deer. Mindless animal panic raged inside my head, but I kept it away from the core of my thoughts, forcing myself to focus, think, act.
I saw Karrin’s eyes snap over to her rearview mirror as it closed, and felt her body tensing against mine as she prepared to evade to the left. I gathered my will but waited to unleash it, and as the charhound closed to within inches of the tire, Karrin leaned and took the Harley left. The charhound’s jaws clashed closed on exhaust fumes, and I unleashed my will from the palm of my outstretched right hand with a snarl of “Forzare!”
Force hit the charhound low on its front legs, and the beast’s head went into the concrete at breakneck speed—literally. There was a terrible snapping sound, and the charhound’s limp body went tumbling end over end, bouncing up into the air for a dozen yards before landing, shedding wisps of darkness all the way.
What landed in a boneless sprawl on the road was not a dog, or a canine of any sort. It was a young man—a human, wearing a black T-shirt and torn old blue jeans. I barely had time to register that before the body tumbled off the road and was out of sight.
“Good shot!” Karrin cried, grinning fiercely. She was driving. She hadn’t seen what was under the hound’s outer shell.
So that was how one joined the Wild Hunt. It was a mask, a huge, dark, terrifying mask—a masquerade.
And I’d just killed a man.
  Cold days chapter 41

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: harry killed another mortal with magic in Cold days
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:54:13 AM »
I think that there have been other threads about this but I can't remember the general consensus.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
I think that there have been other threads about this but I can't remember the general consensus.
Is a general consensus even possible?

There is no way to know whether the person Harry killed was actually a human according to the councils definition of human in the context of the first law.

We know it looked like a human and we know it was a predator because it joined. But even if it was a human before it joined, and humans can be predators, it is not sure if the council considers him human when part of the hunt.

So the whole question is full of unknowns.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
Personally, I don't think someone who's shapeshifted + being driven by beast-like mental influence counts.

There was no issue whatsoever with Harry putting down Harley MacFinn in loup-garou form, and the tape of that briefly hit television. If Morgan ca. Fool Moon could have used that against Harry as cause to execute him, he'd have been on it like a shot.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 02:47:36 PM »
Personally, I don't think someone who's shapeshifted + being driven by beast-like mental influence counts.

There was no issue whatsoever with Harry putting down Harley MacFinn in loup-garou form, and the tape of that briefly hit television. If Morgan ca. Fool Moon could have used that against Harry as cause to execute him, he'd have been on it like a shot.
Same goes for Denarians. Nobody on the council seems to care about blasting them with magic, and Harry never thinks twice about it.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »
POV #1:  Harry did not specifically intend to kill.  He struck out at a magic beast that was attacking him.  He did think to himself "I'm going to slam him into the wall and break his neck."  He just lashed out and the result was the result.  Harry was given clemency with Justin because it was self-defense.

POV#2: The stain of killing with magic isn't necessarily dependent on intent.  Harry felt guilt when he realized he killed the kid.  If he begins to justify the act and thus reduce the guilt and making it easier to kill with magic in the future, then that is the slippery slope.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 05:55:27 PM »
I don't think a person qualifies as mortal if taking part in the Wild Hunt.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 09:40:06 PM »
he was in an altered state such as denarions. also self defense.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 01:05:10 PM »
POV #1:  Harry did not specifically intend to kill.  He struck out at a magic beast that was attacking him. He did think to himself "I'm going to slam him into the wall and break his neck."  He just lashed out and the result was the result.  Harry was given clemency with Justin because it was self-defense.
He basically did just that, Harry didn't hit him from the side to push him away, he took his legs out.  At that speed, it's a kill shot.  However, he also didn't know at the time that he was killing a human and it was still self defense.

If he'd known that the beasts attacking were "masked" humans, could he have done something else?  Only Jim knows.  This could just become one of the deaths that sit on his conscience, like the kids burned up at Bianca's party and what's her name in FM.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 04:17:39 PM »
He basically did just that, Harry didn't hit him from the side to push him away, he took his legs out.  At that speed, it's a kill shot.  However, he also didn't know at the time that he was killing a human
He still does not know.
and it was still self defence.
Not as relevant as some people seem to think. Being part of the wild hunt is probably more relevant.
If he'd known that the beasts attacking were "masked" humans, could he have done something else?  Only Jim knows.  This could just become one of the deaths that sit on his conscience, like the kids burned up at Bianca's party and what's her name in FM.
Conscience is different from the laws of magic as defined by the council which is different from how magic actually works.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 07:27:18 PM »
"and it was still self defence."

1 - Harry was put on double secret probation when he killed in self defense.  See Justin.
2 - Hannah Ascher was declared a Warlock for killing in self defense.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 11:14:37 AM »

1 - Harry was put on double secret probation when he killed in self defense.  See Justin.
Harry had connections.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Paviel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »

Which reminds me of the Hexenwulf and the Loup-garou. I don't think Harry got any black marks on his soul for using a magical amulet infused with his will to strike the killing blow on MacFinn, for example. Thus, either infusing a piece of silver with your will and using it to kill doesn't count as using magic to kill, or a Loup-garou in wolf form doesn't count as a human. Or both.

And I'm pretty sure that infusing an object with your will for a specific purpose is the definition of using magic, and therefore what Harry did to MacFinn with his amulet in "Fool Moon" was using magic to kill.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:18:36 PM by Paviel »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 06:01:15 PM »

The wizards on the Council didn't believe Harry, but could not prove him a liar either.  That's why he was on probation.  Hannah was declared a warlock when she killed Wardens. 

Harry had connections.

Harry had a wizard to vouch for him, just as Harry vouched for Molly.  If Hannah had a wizard who would take responsibility to watch over her, she'd have been spared.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 07:13:14 PM »
The wizards on the Council didn't believe Harry, but could not prove him a liar either.  That's why he was on probation.  Hannah was declared a warlock when she killed Wardens. 

Harry had a wizard to vouch for him, just as Harry vouched for Molly.  If Hannah had a wizard who would take responsibility to watch over her, she'd have been spared.

Before she killed any Wardens maybe. But when they went to bring her in for trial she acted like onw would expect someone being taken away for execution to act, because that's just what you assume will happen when Wardens come asking after you.

The White Council really needs a good PR consultant...