Author Topic: Series ReReads and Lenses  (Read 2452 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Series ReReads and Lenses
« on: October 04, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »
Alright.  I've read and reread the series multiple times.  I get bored.  Then I've found that if I read them with particular WAGs/lenses in mind, the rereads get more interesting. 
One of the earliest WAGs on the forum that spanned the entire series was Ms. Duck's theory that Molly TT's into the past to ascend and become Mab.  She was fairly close in her guess as far as Molly has so far became Winter Lady, though not via Time Travel.  So, obviously Ms. Duck would read the series looking for clues that perhaps Molly would be entwined with Winter, Winter's rulers, and be the Mab we encounter during the books.

Similar to her series but with a different character at the center of the theory, I had Murphy assuming that position, like her I did the same thing.  I looked for links to Winter, potential foreshadowing, irony, similarities, etc when rereading the books.  It adds that extra something to the books when I reread them. Also, I've reread the books where there is a time loop that begins near the start of the series.  And, there is a future that has occured and is occurring relative to the book's present that has already taken place to some extent.  Anyone who believes Harry TT's into the past necessarily would believe there is a future existent relative to the past traveled to.

Anyways, what WAG's (lenses), do you like to reread the books through (with).  Please don't be condescending in responses.

I should also mention there is a pertinent WOJ from Jim specifically about Rereads and how by the time we get to the end, we will need to reread, and things will, when we do, look a different and/or have more meaning. (paraphrasing)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:05:49 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
Re: Series ReReads and Lenses
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 05:03:24 PM »
Arrgh, i'm not sure I could narrow it down that easily. Have you read my theorums? I have my own 'filter'/lenses for most of it. the idea they have been trying to free and manifest fearbringer since 2nd book, the walkers being horsemen in need of beasts of burden ala horsemen of apocalypse... all those are technically under the same umbrella of 4 horsemen+ one chooser equals most of the active renditions of gods(in SK they rode horses matching the horsemens, white, red, pale,ect).
 few other umbrella's besides.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Froklsnt

• Participant
  • Mister, where I come from, there is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 05:27:29 PM »
Rereading the series with neurovore's "Team UMO" lens allows you to see how many of the higher-up entities in the series seem more coordinated than they do at first glance. They move in surprisingly complementary ways. The same can be said for a large number of the bigger bads, who all seem to be connected to Margaret for some reason: Lord Raith, Justin Dumorne (and through him Simon), Duchess Ariana and her lineage, Nicodemus, the demons, even Goodman Grey. And that's not even counting the whole "La Fey" part.  Basically, look at the series for evidence on how the players worked together in the past.

Another fun game: How many Senior Council decisions can you spot Peabody's hand in between SK and TC?

None of these are near as WAGy as the two the OP cited, but fun none the less.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 06:50:47 PM »
When you reread the series, looking for influences of Nemesis, they kind of jump out at you.

Though I don't believe that Harry was on Nemesis' radar until after Grave Peril, N might have been behind some of the things that went on earlier.

What I mean is that I don't think N have Victor Sells the tutelage to become a Warlock, nor the formula for Three-eye.  He might have influenced those who did though, and it was just dumb luck that brought it to Chicago.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 07:08:19 PM »
I like reading SK from Rashid's POV: 

1) Harry eventually deduces that only one of the Ladies could have done it.   Rashid must have known this from the start.
2) Rashid also probably knew the full implications of Summer/Winter war just by asking Harry for today's date.
3) As Gatekeeper, I am sure that he is constantly vigilant for Nemesis gambits.
4) He claims to be unsure of Harry until TC, and yet Mab made Harry emissary -- very interesting.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 10:13:02 PM »
I have reread Cowl and White Council heavy books looking for clues.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 01:53:27 AM »
Let's see, the Merlin Arthur retelling bleeds into an allstory/hero archetype mythology. the generational theory as well as the opposite mirroring history from the gyre time theory. the TT Harry Lens of course..
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 02:53:27 PM »
I like applying the titles to people other than Harry and his situation. Proven Guilty, for example, could apply to Maeve after Arctis Tor.