Author Topic: Blackstaff and the Hat  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Blackstaff and the Hat
« on: September 28, 2017, 06:35:59 PM »
I just had a HORRIBLE thought.

Okay, we know that Ebenezer is the Blackstaff. 

We know that the Blackstaff is an actual thing.

When we first saw it, it "appeared" out of nowhere during the battle of Chicken Pizza.

Further, we know that Ebenezer has a hat, similar to the one that appears on the covers of the books on Harry.

What if, like the sorting Hat, the Blackstaff LIVES in the hat, and that is how Harry will inherit it, and from then on Harry will have to wear a hat?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Blackstaff and the Hat
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 06:38:23 PM »

When we first saw it, it "appeared" out of nowhere during the battle of Chicken Pizza.

Further, we know that Ebenezer has a hat, similar to the one that appears on the covers of the books on Harry.

What if, like the sorting Hat, the Blackstaff LIVES in the hat, and that is how Harry will inherit it, and from then on Harry will have to wear a hat?

There's a Word of Jim that Mirror, Mirror Harry will have a hat. What if he's already become the Blackstaff in that reality? :o

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »

Horrible? That's actually kinda awesome. better than what I have. I figure after MM hijinks fluctuations in the timeline will give Harry 'prime' a hat he always has on lol.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:13:55 PM »
Harry inheritance is that hat, it would be an epic way to secretly pass along under the nose of competition or the enemy.
k moinuddin

Offline DonBugen

• Conversationalist
  • All hours are midnight now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 01:51:31 AM »
Then I'm afraid Harry''s getting sorted into Slytherin.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 03:57:43 AM »
What about Carlos term "the Black Hats"...

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 02:40:29 PM »
What about Carlos term "the Black Hats"...

Here's a side question: why did Ebenezer look at Harry funny when Dresden named them the Black Council? Is it because Harry unknowingly used the same term Morgan and the Wardens had been using in secret? (Remember in Turn Coat, Morgan's "reflex" response was "THERE IS NO BLACK COUNCIL," not "There is no organized effort against us.")

Makes me wonder if Harry's a bit of a telepath; he was in a room with the Merlin and Morgan after all, and shortly after meeting Carlos, they both had precisely the same flippant "You don't get to be Merlin by collecting bottle caps" thought.

Not really related, so sorry if I'm derailing, but I thought it was an interesting question.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 11:50:15 AM »
Note that there is a WoJ about the hat.   

Apparently LTW gave it to Ebenezer -- he took it off the head of the last paleface he killed for wiping out his village.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 04:52:56 PM »
Note that there is a WoJ about the hat.   

Apparently LTW gave it to Ebenezer -- he took it off the head of the last paleface he killed for wiping out his village.
Seriously?
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 06:51:35 PM »
Seriously?

This is from Shecky (one of the betas) when he was cosplaying Ebenezer seven years ago:

Quote from: shecky
Be sure you get old-school overalls, not something fancy and trendy; Ebenezar uses his clothes to work in. I don't remember where, but he was also described once with a white t-shirt, which will help with the Atlanta weather. Finally, he also wears spectacles—it's only mentioned in TC, but some fake wire-rims wouldn't hurt.

When I went to NYCC 2 years ago as Ebenezar, I used black latex to show the "infection" on his hand from the Blackstaff (which, oddly, only has the descriptions of "dark" and "twisted"). It was a fun little bit to add.

FWIW, I was a bit leery of shaving my head, so out of pique and a "what the hell" attitude, I sent a question to Jim about whether Eb wears a hat. He was MOST emphatic ("You bet he has a hat"); turns out he has a black leather OOOOOLD-style hat. Listens-to-Wind gave it to him at the end of their very long feud (Jim said the details are really horrible). LtW had taken it from the last surviving paleface from the group that killed his family, so yeah, it was an ugly thing all around. Anyway, this is the hat that I got and Jim approved fully:

There's a picture of said hat here:
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/ladyacidfire/media/cGF0aDpOWUNDL0lNR18wOTgxLmpwZw==/?ref=1

(rightmost person)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:54:51 PM by knnn »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html