51-55
0 (0%)
56-60
0 (0%)
61+
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: October 03, 2017, 09:46:05 PM

Author Topic: Marcone's Age @ SF  (Read 8441 times)

Offline Thatguywhocomesaround

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Marcone's Age @ SF
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 09:15:22 PM »
I can't buy him being over 31-35 in SF. Okay, a little - but it in my head it fits more. Of course, this is fiction and Marcone has displayed some slightly superhuman feats. He's extremely athletic.

Able to speed attack supernatural creatures with knife attacks, dodge an attacking flying Nicodemus, throw a knife through a rope, jump across a detaching train. He's done several things physically early in the series which points to him being younger.

Not to say someone upper middle aged and over can't be physically capable, but it catches up to you, does it not? Murphy for example - a big part about last book was her injury and her getting older. Harry and Murphy are about the same age - Marcone has anywhere from five to twenty years on them (we'll assume based on this thread) yet has consistently shown to have superior reflexes, physical prowess, and speed in some regards.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 09:32:16 PM »
I can't buy him being over 31-35 in SF. Okay, a little - but it in my head it fits more. Of course, this is fiction and Marcone has displayed some slightly superhuman feats. He's extremely athletic.

Able to speed attack supernatural creatures with knife attacks, dodge an attacking flying Nicodemus, throw a knife through a rope, jump across a detaching train. He's done several things physically early in the series which points to him being younger.

Not to say someone upper middle aged and over can't be physically capable, but it catches up to you, does it not? Murphy for example - a big part about last book was her injury and her getting older. Harry and Murphy are about the same age - Marcone has anywhere from five to twenty years on them (we'll assume based on this thread) yet has consistently shown to have superior reflexes, physical prowess, and speed in some regards.
Do you think Hugh Jackman could do those things?  Because he's 48 right now.  The same age as Marcone in DM if he was 45 in SF.  I don't recall Marcone doing anything that a physically fit former Marine couldn't do, even into his fifties. 

Hell, Scott Glenn is a former Marine that could do most of what Marcone does, and he's 76.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 09:41:05 PM »
In white knight, Harry describes him as a "extremely fit 40 year old" but with the caveat that he has looked that way ever since Harry has known him.

If we take the 40 years correctly at time of white knight, that would make him 33 at time of storm front.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:44:39 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 10:20:20 PM »
Thanks rhetoric for providing quotes that somehow I overlooked til another alluded to them.

To be fair, I often use two browsers both edge and chrome on this site.  For some reason, I can't format in edge, so if I bring up the website in edge and want to do any formatting, I change to chrome. This website also takes time to load or update after I post so it gets kinda sluggish.  Anyways I missed them, so this is me recognizing them. :)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 11:42:07 PM »
Harry, himself, noted that there were small changes in Marcone's appearance from the Beckitt soulgaze that seem to make a significant difference in Marcone's overall appearance. To be taken as a serious threat and criminal leader he had to appear as a serious threat and criminal leader and less like the adult but roguish image that Harry saw in the soulgaze.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rhetoric

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 11:50:36 PM »
No problem, it's all good. ;D

Anyway, as for Harry's perception of Marcone's age in Helen's soulgaze...

Quote from: White Night
I looked over my shoulder to see a very, very young-looking Marcone.

He wasn't wearing a business suit. He had on jeans and a black leather jacket. His hair was longish, a little mussed, and he also sported a stubble of beard that gave him the kind of rakish look that would attract attention from the girls who fantasized about indulging with a bad boy.

His eyes were still green—but they were the green of a summer hunter's blind, bright and intelligent and predatory, but touched with more... something. Humor, maybe. More life. And he was skinnier. Not a lot skinnier or anything, but it surprised me how much younger it and the other minor changes made him look.

[...]

Marcone had looked a lot younger when he wore his hair longer, less neat, and dressed more casually. Or maybe he'd just looked younger before he'd seen Helen's daughter die.

It seems like "young" was very subjective in this case, referring more to Marcone's... liveliness, I guess, as opposed to his literal, physical age.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 01:04:10 PM »
That doesn't make much sense.  Harry saw Marcone in the memory, and commented on how very, very young he looked.  Which would only be 3 years younger than he was in SF.  Which is when he looked like he was in his forties.  Even if he was 40 in SF, and 37 during the shooting, and he had a lot of stress that aged him, he still wouldn't look very, very young to Harry.

Which is why I think something is off.  First, I don't think we can put more weight on the "ever since I had known him" piece of "He...had looked like an extremely fit forty-year-old ever since I had known him" which occurs 7 books in than his earliest description in the books.

Storm Front.
One option is that he might be a scion that chose after that shootout where Amanda gets shot.  It was a pivotal event in his life.  He chose to be a professional monster.
I am a professional monster.
It sounds pretentious. After all, I’m not a flesh-devouring ghoul, hiding behind a human mask until it is time to gorge. I’m no vampire, to drain the blood or soul from my victim, no ogre, no demon, no cursed beast from the spirit world dwelling amid the unsuspecting sheep of humanity. I’m not even possessed of the mystic abilities of a mortal wizard.
But they will never be what I am. One and all, those beings were born to be what they are.
I made a choice.

So prior to the choice, his apparent age was in stasis similar to Sarissa's.  After choosing, he manifested a more mature look.  It has to be as reasonable as going from human to ogre, something completely different.  It would also put him in some way either part sidhe or maybe distant scion of vadderung.  Another option other than changeling/scion is magical spell that morphs his looks.  We have seen that employed quite a few times, his would need to be much more persistent and durable.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:28:01 PM by raidem »

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 01:14:14 PM »
No problem, it's all good. ;D

Anyway, as for Harry's perception of Marcone's age in Helen's soulgaze...

It seems like "young" was very subjective in this case, referring more to Marcone's... liveliness, I guess, as opposed to his literal, physical age.

Seeing a little girl get shot in the stomach and blaming yourself ages you.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2017, 03:35:42 AM »
I've always had the feeling that Marcone was approximately 10 years older than Harry, 34-36 age range as of SF.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2017, 12:20:18 PM »
I could try a poll starting at 31, with 3 year age spans.