Author Topic: Do you think there will be a Cinder Spires RPG?  (Read 5963 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Do you think there will be a Cinder Spires RPG?
« on: May 11, 2017, 01:38:50 PM »
Once enough books have been written do you think there'll be a Cinder Spires RPG?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think there will be a Cinder Spires RPG?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 08:42:46 PM »
Hard to say. There will be interest, certainly.  But on the flip side there was interest in an Alera RPG but to my knowledge nothing official ever materialized.  Mostly because of the insane amounts of work it takes to "materialize" such a thing.

I suppose it's possible that they'll have the time now that the Accelerated Rules are getting released, but trying to juggle too many settings is likely a great way to tank the efforts for all of them 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »
I think there's potential for enough lore and rules for the game in that you can play a rouge pirate or privateer crew, and I think there are enough locations for people to build their own Spires similar to how to build your own City in Dresden Files RPG. Cultural traits for each character from a different spire that sort of thing.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »
But the real question and the real complexity would be in the Airship Battles.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 01:55:22 PM »
Of course, I imagine the Airships would be of similar design to the Ships in the Firefly/Serenity RPG's which I love dearly. I always try to be in charge of a pirate or mercenary crew. For which Cinder Spires would be a perfect setting for adapting my characters for.

But in terms of Airship battles well the Predator battles did depend quite a bit on luck for every maneuver they pulled off, so perhaps a roll combined with whatever aspect of the ship the maneuver depends on. Defense (Shroud), Attack (Cannon), Agility (Sail), Speed (Engine). Along those lines. The Ship like in the Firefly RPG or the City in the Dresden Files RPG would be another character and if you had an etherialist on oard one which you could communicate to.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 02:13:17 PM »
Hmm, would need to account for the Stealth aspects of Sails vs Steam Engines, and the probability of internal explosions with Steam (seriously there is a reason we dont use steam in mobile applications anymore!).  The energy balance of the ships systems would translate simply enough I expect. 

Then you have to account for Etheric current regions on top of wind directions, and the whole Iron Rot and Ether Madness would be something.

Then of course we've barely scratched the surface of what etherealists can do, I suspect. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 02:34:20 PM »
I imagine a cap on Etherialist abilities have already been set. Each Etherialist needs to have an In Character quirk like doorknobs or talking directly to object even when talking indirectly to people or another example I've been working on is clothes. A person has to wear pristine perfect ironed etherialist silk suits and the longer they're dirty or mucky or bloody the longer the cost of tole is to mental stress. In terms of offensive capabilities. I'd do standard electric attack similar to a gauntlet with a crystal as a Focus item. Defensive would be there etherialist abilities and their silk clothes.

In the Firefly game you have to regularly keep the upkeep cost of your ship by doing jobs or missions so you could cross that over too.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 05:49:47 PM »
I imagine a cap on Etherialist abilities have already been set. Each Etherialist needs to have an In Character quirk like doorknobs or talking directly to object even when talking indirectly to people or another example I've been working on is clothes. A person has to wear pristine perfect ironed etherialist silk suits and the longer they're dirty or mucky or bloody the longer the cost of tole is to mental stress. In terms of offensive capabilities. I'd do standard electric attack similar to a gauntlet with a crystal as a Focus item. Defensive would be there etherialist abilities and their silk clothes.

In the Firefly game you have to regularly keep the upkeep cost of your ship by doing jobs or missions so you could cross that over too.
Never played the firefly game, does it have any sort of naval combat mechanics by chance?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 09:50:08 AM »
Never played the firefly game, does it have any sort of naval combat mechanics by chance?

It does but it's not the focus, but ship stats are all their in terms of agility and so on and so forth. The focus of the Firefly game is more space western scenarios

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
It does but it's not the focus, but ship stats are all their in terms of agility and so on and so forth. The focus of the Firefly game is more space western scenarios
Hmm, that certainly lends itself pretty well, at least to everything but the actual etherealists, I guess. 

Personally Id want the naval combat to be fairly robust, if not necessarily the primary focus.  I dont have any ideas for where to look, other than at sci-fi space combat, since it would need to be 3D
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline nedserD C B yrraH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 02:45:22 PM »
I see the air battles more like sub marine warfare. There is not need to move forward to create lift, which is very crucial to dogfight tactics. I would look to see if there are any RPGs that have mechanics for subs, prolly set around WWII.
I'm not a Fanboy, I just Squee a lot.

DV Geek Code v1.2 YR9 FR1 BK++ RP JB++ TH ++ WG+ CL+ SW+(B,T,JM) BC+ MC +++(--) SH (Mu++Mo++El+)

Your total Dresden Files purity rating is 53.1%

All scores:
Supernatural Power:75.7%
Social Skills:45.5%
Armed Combat:6.1%
Unarmed Combat:41.8

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »
I see the air battles more like sub marine warfare. There is not need to move forward to create lift, which is very crucial to dogfight tactics. I would look to see if there are any RPGs that have mechanics for subs, prolly set around WWII.
Hmm, my first thought is that sub warfare is too slow and too heavily tied to depth and detection/visibility.  But that might actually be an advantage, especially when fights dip down below the Mist. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/