Author Topic: Was Justin preparing Harry to learn necromancy?  (Read 19266 times)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Was Justin preparing Harry to learn necromancy?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2017, 12:17:07 AM »
Also, let's not forget that things were very specifically arranged so as it'd be easier to do necromancy.  What Harry did was difficult, but not complicated.  I don't see raising Sue as being especially indicative of any particular talent.

Except Corpsetaker and Evil Bob have both commented that he does have a natural gift for dark magic.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2017, 03:02:14 AM »
Except Corpsetaker and Evil Bob have both commented that he does have a natural gift for dark magic.

But they could also be blowing smoke so to speak.  No big secret that Harry was under the Doom at one time because he killed Justin with magic.  I think that's the whole point, everyone has a natural gift for dark magic.  That is why the White Council takes a zero tolerance of it's practice.  It is the very reason why it is such a slippery slope once started down.   

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 04:23:26 AM »
More or less.  Plus, Harry has a major impulsive/righteous streak that can lend itself towards the darker aspects.  Hurting people who have it coming.  It could be less about a specific aspect of magic, and more a general psychological leaning.

Besides, how would Cowl and Bob know Harry has a gift for necromancy before he did it?  (I may be misremembering when said statements were made)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 11:39:17 AM »
More or less.  Plus, Harry has a major impulsive/righteous streak that can lend itself towards the darker aspects.  Hurting people who have it coming.  It could be less about a specific aspect of magic, and more a general psychological leaning.

Besides, how would Cowl and Bob know Harry has a gift for necromancy before he did it?  (I may be misremembering when said statements were made)

I don't remember either saying it, not saying you' re wrong, just don't remember it.  Harry did feel all kinds of dark magic around Cowl though, said just being in Cowl's presence had a greasy dark magic feel about it.  Evil Bob was a devoted Kemmler disciple so he may have been lying... Remember though, the Loa said Harry was "stained with dark magic."  Harry admitted that he was, but most of it wasn't his but what others did to him, but said some was because he has made a couple of bad calls.  The Loa declared him honest and agreed to help him by answering some of his questions.  Don't think it would have done that if Harry had a real predisposition for evil....  As far as that goes a gift for necromancy doesn't make Harry like Cowl, just as being a gifted marksman doesn't make you a murderer.   The ability doesn't have to translate into the act.     

Yes, Harry is impulsive and righteous, but that doesn't have to translate into dark magic...  In my opinion, for Harry, dark magic is something he'd use only as a last resort when all else has failed..  He is powerful enough that he doesn't have to resort to the dark arts..  Another element is both the influence of Eb, and the disposition he inherited from his father, Malcolm..   It is significant that it is often repeated that Harry inherited Malcolm's way and his good heart.  May have been one of the reasons aside from love that Margaret chose him to be the father of her star born, his natural goodness tamps down the megalomania and other impulses that comes with the powers of a star born..

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2017, 02:04:07 PM »
The stain from dark magic I always chalked up to him and Justin.  Dark magic being as much about motivations and results as actual spell casting.  Fuegoing someone to murder them in cold blood vs in the heat of battle against demonic forces, etc..

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2017, 02:09:15 PM »
The stain from dark magic I always chalked up to him and Justin.  Dark magic being as much about motivations and results as actual spell casting.  Fuegoing someone to murder them in cold blood vs in the heat of battle against demonic forces, etc..

Yup, I do as well, and so far Harry has avoided that simply to murder someone.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »
I don't believe that Justin was training Harry (and Elaine) to be Necromancers.  I think he was training them to be the strongest Wizards they possibly could be.  They are both Starborn potential.

I think the last test was always going to be against HWWBh, for either of them.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »

Cowl didn't. As Kumori put it, Cowl thought he was somewhat impressive, but too rough to be useful.

Corpsetaker was somewhat impressed by his resistance to mental interrogation, but most of her comments and Evil Bob's assessment were during Ghost Story.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2017, 06:43:08 PM »
I think it was Grevane that noted Harry's necromantic power, but that was presumably the remnants of Evil Bob's power after the mote touched Harry.

Evil Bob commented on Harry's worthiness in their encounter, but I don't recall anything else.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2017, 06:49:36 PM »
I don't believe that Justin was training Harry (and Elaine) to be Necromancers.  I think he was training them to be the strongest Wizards they possibly could be.  They are both Starborn potential.

I think the last test was always going to be against HWWBh, for either of them.

Yes, and no, Justin was training them to be enforcers and apparently he wanted to control their minds and thus them.  It is unclear how successful he was with Elaine, on one hand we have the images of her totally under his control, yet there are hints because she apparently was able to warn Harry and even helped in his escape depending on the account from Summer Knight and from Ghost Story.. However he totally failed as far as Harry was concerned.  So the plot thickens, was Justin under orders from higher up to try and control them?  Hints from Harry's flashback in Ghost Story suggests this, but to what purpose and to who's purpose?  Because it is unclear if Justin's attempt was for his boss or for himself..

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2017, 06:52:09 PM »
Evil Bob commented on Harry's worthiness in their encounter, but I don't recall anything else.

Corpsetaker's shade said something along the lines that it was unfortunate he rushed into a confrontation, as someone with his innate gifts could have become formidable if he'd been patient.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2017, 08:35:08 PM »
Corpsetaker's shade said something along the lines that it was unfortunate he rushed into a confrontation, as someone with his innate gifts could have become formidable if he'd been patient.

Considering that Harry mind training at the time of Dead Bead was merely the rudimentary defenses that the White Council sanctioned, showing how afraid they were of mind magic at the time..

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2017, 09:20:49 PM »
But, it has been mentioned that Harry has natural defenses to mind magic possibly due to his stubbornly thick skull.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline SacredHollow

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2017, 04:55:50 AM »
Hi I don't post often but I always thought that mote that evil bob gave to harry was knowledge of necromancy. Kind of like when he got that knowledge gen from his mom in blood rights. Harry just didn't realize it

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »
Yes, and no, Justin was training them to be enforcers and apparently he wanted to control their minds and thus them.  It is unclear how successful he was with Elaine, on one hand we have the images of her totally under his control, yet there are hints because she apparently was able to warn Harry and even helped in his escape depending on the account from Summer Knight and from Ghost Story.. However he totally failed as far as Harry was concerned.  So the plot thickens, was Justin under orders from higher up to try and control them?  Hints from Harry's flashback in Ghost Story suggests this, but to what purpose and to who's purpose?  Because it is unclear if Justin's attempt was for his boss or for himself..

That's what Harry was told.  However, it's still entirely possible that he new that both of them were potential Startborn and THAT was his real goal.

Having a couple of Starborn under your control could come in handy down the road.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---